Osprey
06 February 2014 23:09:39

Originally Posted by: Gaz 

To be fair, I'm looking forward to seeing subtle changes and some signs of something to bring us out of this current pattern of relentless Gales and Rain. Yes, im looking for very early signs of Spring.

I still have hope for this around the 21st http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014020618/gfs-0-348.png?18

More for a stop to falling down water and moving air

Nobody likes a smartass, especially another smartass...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
GIBBY
06 February 2014 23:26:46

Well tonights 120hr fax says it all really.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?ech=120&carte=2000 Round 21...

Martin G
Kilmersdon Radstock Bath Somerset

Look up my New Facebook Weather Page  for all the latest up to the minute weather stories as they happen
tallyho_83
07 February 2014 00:01:20
FI stuck at 00z??

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn38417.png 
Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Matty H
07 February 2014 00:02:55
Originally Posted by: GIBBY 

Good grief 😢
roger63
07 February 2014 07:09:54

No sign of any let up in ops or Gefs.

% zonal from Gefs

240h 95:5

312h 75:25

384h 75:25

Andy Woodcock
07 February 2014 07:33:56
Originally Posted by: GIBBY 

It's remarkable that all these low pressure systems follow almost exactly the same route and occlude in the same way!

If only depressions went up the English Channel with such frequency and precision!

Andy

Also that spells a quick snow to rain event for most not the blizzards I have seen on some output last night
Andy Woodcock
Plumpton
Penrith
Cumbria
Altitude 435 feet
"I survived The Mega Bartlett Winter of 2015/16 With My Mental Health Just About Intact"
Sevendust
07 February 2014 07:37:49

The output remain grim today - Several major lows expected to hit the UK in the next fortnight

Gooner
07 February 2014 07:38:01

The output shows little sign of any let up to the rain rain rain

woeful

Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

Matty H
07 February 2014 07:50:01
UKMO is grim indeed for next Tuesday, although GFS and ECM take the storm further south.
Scandy 1050 MB
07 February 2014 08:33:44

Originally Posted by: Matty H 

UKMO is grim indeed for next Tuesday, although GFS and ECM take the storm further south.

Yes grim output from all of the models, did look like yesterday in GFS that we could see things begin to ease at the FI end of the output but back to square one today. Not too difficult to believe we might have to wait until March now for anything different - astonishing if that verifies to have 3 identical winter months with the same weather all the way through - will be one for the record books in the future I think.

The only good thing you can say I suppose is that the days are getting longer but that's about it

Stormchaser
07 February 2014 08:37:28

It seems like the models are picking up on extra small disturbances for next week now, of which some engage with the jet and others don't. Either way, they bring spells of heavy rain when they cross the UK.

Most of the models come up with a vicious storm of some kind or another, with GFS actually one of the least violent, and so it seems that we'll be lucky to avoid seeing at least one major wind event next week.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014020700/ECU1-120.GIF?07-12

ECM again takes the crown for the most shocking output, with a storm that would set record low pressures for at least some parts of the south.

At this rate, February will make January look like a trial run! 

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
The Beast from the East
07 February 2014 08:41:10

Aye laddies, its grim down south!

I think builders, pavers and roofers will be happy. Lots of work in the Spring. My driveway is ruined and needs to be paved again when the rain ever stops!

GFS still suggesting some transient snow events during the coming week.

UKMO has plenty of cold uppers mixed up in next weeks storm

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/runs/2014020700/UW120-7.GIF?07-06

"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President
Maunder Minimum
07 February 2014 08:56:57

Originally Posted by: Gooner 

woeful

Fear not, a pattern change is coming. Two more weeks of this woeful weather and things will settle down to a colder and drier interlude.

What do I base this on? Not the models, which have not picked up on the change yet, but on a gut feeling - so I am sticking my neck out and calling it colder and drier from around 20th February onwards. That is the usual pattern for a winter dominated by zonality.

New world order coming.
Gooner
07 February 2014 09:01:08

Just had a lively debate in the office about why we are having all this rain......................................apparently it is because of all the Tornado's that are occuring in the USA at the minute ???

So some believed after watching a TV documentary ?

What is that about then?

Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

Osprey
07 February 2014 09:01:58

Originally Posted by: Maunder Minimum 

woeful

Fear not, a pattern change is coming. Two more weeks of this woeful weather and things will settle down to a colder and drier interlude.

What do I base this on? Not the models, which have not picked up on the change yet, but on a gut feeling - so I am sticking my neck out and calling it colder and drier from around 20th February onwards. That is the usual pattern for a winter dominated by zonality.

My words exactly

Rob K
07 February 2014 09:09:47

Originally Posted by: Scandy 1050 MB 

Not too difficult to believe we might have to wait until March now for anything different - astonishing if that verifies to have 3 identical winter months with the same weather all the way through - will be one for the record books in the future I think.

Well it would only be 2 and a half... the first half of December was very anticyclonic and dry, then it all changed on about the 14th/15th I think and now here we are...

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
GIBBY
07 February 2014 09:14:40

Good morning. Here is the report on the 12 midnight outputs from GFS, UKMO, GEM, NAVGEM and ECM for today Friday February 7th 2014 and lifted from my website at http://www.norton-radstockweather.co.uk/Model-Analysis(2859336).htm

All models show a deep depression moving in from the SW during tonight replacing the embers of the current one leaving the East. as a result a quieter day with scattered showers will occur today ahead of strong winds and rain arriving after dark. By tomorrow the Low pressure will move slowly NE across Ireland to Southern Scotland with severe gales and squally showers of rain and hail with thunder, sleet and snow locally, the latter mostly over the hills. This weather type will last through Saturday with just a limited reduction on Sunday as the Low drifts slowly North and begins to fill. By Monday a less windy and showery day seems likely with some longer drier interludes between the showers, still wintry on hills. On Tuesday it looks like another Atlantic storm system will be pushing in from the West with a band of heavy rain and strong winds sweeping East once more.

GFS shows the midweek period as unsettled and sometimes wet and windy as further Low pressure areas or troughs steam across from the West, a process which continues repeatedly through the entire remainder of the run. Temperatures will remain close to average or maybe a little below in the North with some snow possible over northern hills at times as a result.

The GFS Ensembles remain largely unchanged from previous samples with a very flat pattern from most members hugging the 30yr mean line with further spells of rain and showers on a Atlantic windflow. There is something of a reduction in rain quantities very late in the run.

UKMO this morning shows next Thursday with one low exiting the NE of Britain while another approaches the West with a squally shower mix early in the day probably followed by a drier interlude before further rain and gales push in from the West later in the day.

GEM shows little change in the grand scheme of things with Low pressure well in charge over and around the UK with further showers and longer spells of rain and strong winds at times in generally average temperatures overall.

NAVGEM today remains alarmist for those looking for anxiously needed relief from flooded areas as further intense depressions could run into the UK late next week enhancing the high rainfall totals of late with strong winds too.

ECM is little better with another vicious Low next Wednesday near Southern England threatening storm force winds and more definitely heavy rain across Southern britain to be followed more heavy rain and blustery westerly winds out to the end of the run.

The ECM 9 and 10 Day Mean Charts show little overall change with Low pressure still likely to be close to the North in 10 Days time with a Westerly flow with rain at times for all.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reem2161.gif
http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reem2401.gif

The Jet Stream Forecast shows no change this morning with the weakening shown of yesterday less apparent today with the flow continuing to pump East across the Atlantic and over Southern Europe throughout the run maintaining the breeding ground for further Low pressure areas to run into the UK from the west through the period.

In Summary I have to say that the current spell of this extremely volatile weather pattern which has been going since December 12th is unprecedented with absolutely no definitive sign of improvements shown within the next two weeks from this morning's output. There is total cross model support for a continuation of often wet and windy weather with copious rainfall and damaging gales in the next week. There may be some moderation in wind strengths through week 2 but rainfall looks set to continue on with further disruption which I fear could cause total devastation over the SW part of my County should this morning's charts verify. None of the above is surprising when on my little patch alone over 450mm of rain has fallen this Winter so far. We need some dry weather soon or parts of the SW of the UK are going to become a disaster area with major infrastructure consequences and life threatening lifestyle changes.

Martin G
Kilmersdon Radstock Bath Somerset

Look up my New Facebook Weather Page  for all the latest up to the minute weather stories as they happen
Osprey
07 February 2014 09:26:50

Thank you Martin It's affecting my business.

Ground and everything is too sodden to work dare not put covers up to work under incase of storm damage and damage to life and property

If it was just rain and no wind I'd cover the jobs up

Still CFS http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfs/run1m/cfs-0-294.png?18 may come off... HOPING SO!

David M Porter
07 February 2014 09:33:47

Does anyone know why the GFS runs on WZ haven't updated since the 00Z yesterday morning? The ECM and UKMO runs have updated in the usual way, but not GFS.

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
Whether Idle
07 February 2014 09:38:29

Originally Posted by: Maunder Minimum 

woeful

I made a similar "prediction" about last part of February being the most likely  time for a pattern change from wet and windy at the start of January Its pretty facile, and I agree that eventually (probably around 20th Feb)  the pattern will run itself out and negative feedback locally and long wave patterns at the macro-scale ovecopme the jet path.  I hope

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.