DeeDee
22 April 2018 07:40:28

Awake due to an amazing show of lightning between about 1230-2am. Constant thunder too , great storm last night 

and this morning numerous alerts from our Ring doorbell showing what just looks like a flash gun going off constantly for hours 

Harpenden, Herts.
Tim A
22 April 2018 08:03:10
We had a good storm with frequent lightning and heavy rain about 11pm last night.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Nick Gilly
22 April 2018 08:18:52

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Phenomenal lightning storm; thunder continuous, heavy rain, lightning every 10 seconds or so. 5th May 1989.

We had that storm too. It was certainly a good one! Very intense electrical activity. The storm centre passed to the east of here. Fantastic stuff for April!

ChrisJG
22 April 2018 21:54:02
We had a fantastic thunder and lightening display between 8 and 9 yesterday evening, in fact the best in years, but little did I know that a few hours later these best thunderstorm I’ve ever experienced in my 39 years would occur! I’ve just checked the historic meteoradar images to get some context on it as it was just unbelievable. At 1am me and the missus were woken by incredibly loud thunder that continued to rumble incessantly for 15 minutes. Rumble possibly isn’t the best description, roared possibly..the lightening flashed every 10 seconds or so for the whole period also. And then the rain. Jesus wept. Quite literally maybe..

I have never experienced rain like it. We watched in amazement from the window, not able to utter a word to each other, not so much out of disbelief but because frankly we couldn’t hear a word either were saying. The noise on the roof was bordering on terrifying! We watched the garden flood and the river of debris race down the hill past the front of our house leaving a right mess in the morning.

The band looked to be quite narrow moving north east from barrow, forming all the while and moving northeast after us but we appeared to be slap bang in the middle of it.

Honestly I can’t begin to describe that 15 minutes adequately enough. The flashes were so frequent it was like someone was flicking a daylight switch outside constantly.
Absolutely superb.
Home - near Penrith 150m ASL
Work - North/Central Cumbria
Andy J
25 April 2018 14:38:05

Thundery shower going through here at the moment, about one lightning strike every 30 seconds in the southern sky with quite loud thunder, some impressive looking strikes.  Most of the rain looks like being just to the south of me.

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
speckledjim
25 April 2018 14:57:06
The Pennine shield is working a treat here - not one shower has hit us
Thorner, West Yorkshire

Journalism is organised gossip
johncs2016
25 April 2018 15:47:05
No thunder or lightning here in Edinburgh, but the showers have got a lot heavier here during this afternoon which as at 4pm, has now boosted today's rainfall totals to 1.4 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh and 1.0 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank thus making today, the first official rain day at both of those stations since Friday 13 April 2018.

This has also caused the temperatures to fluctuate quite a lot as it gets as high as about 13.6°C in the sunshine but then, drops all the way back down into single figures (around 8.8°C) in those heavier showers.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Bolty
25 April 2018 16:50:55

Sure I've just heard thunder from this:

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
KevBrads1
25 April 2018 16:58:55
The first thunder of the year and since September.

A couple of poky hail showers have passed through. Up to pea-sized hail
MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
johncs2016
25 April 2018 17:33:42
I guess then, that the thread for discussing the lack of thunder in the Manchester area will be quiet for a while then.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
bledur
25 April 2018 17:39:09

Thunder and lightning , hail torrential rain at about 4.30 this afternoon. Already had a summers worth of thunder here and it is only spring.Blink

johncs2016
28 April 2018 08:07:42
There's still no thunder and lightning here in Edinburgh just now, but we have quite a torrential downpour going on just now as I write.

I know that this was the risk of showers during today according to the forecast, but these weren't expected to develop until much later on in the day, and this is also happening despite the fact that this part of the world had been forecast to be one of the driest parts of the country during today.

Viking3
07 May 2018 07:49:06

Radar showing some isolated heavy showers near Callendar already. GFS has a signal for convective precipitation over Scotland today but Met Office forecasts making absolutely no mention. Too busy talking up the Bank Holiday heatwave?

Keith
Aboyne, Aberdeenshire
135m asl
speckledjim
07 May 2018 07:54:23

Originally Posted by: Viking3 

Radar showing some isolated heavy showers near Callendar already. GFS has a signal for convective precipitation over Scotland today but Met Office forecasts making absolutely no mention. Too busy talking up the Bank Holiday heatwave?

Nothing showing on http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/

Thorner, West Yorkshire

Journalism is organised gossip
Arcus
07 May 2018 08:09:54

Originally Posted by: Viking3 

Certainly seems to be more in the way of showers further east in Scotland than the forecast called for (which mentioned NW Scotland as being the focus for showers/rain).

Some potential for Lincs/Yorks/NE England tomorrow PM ahead of the cold front coming in from the west - as always dependant on timing and heating.

Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
Bolty
07 May 2018 08:14:05
I don't expect there will really be much of anything, to be honest. High pressure is still very much in control today, so that will pretty much kill off or at least severely limit any convective activity.

If there is anything, I'd probably say it will be in the form of isolated heavy showers tomorrow morning. But even tomorrow doesn't look like a thunderfest. Still things could swing in favour yet.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station