KevBrads1
21 January 2018 07:45:52

What's worse than not getting snow is not getting snow and reading reports of surrounding areas getting snow and that what sums up this winter for this part of the country.

Even yesterday, Midlands did better than up here for what snow fell from that system and I get the feeling its going to happen again today.

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
richardabdn
21 January 2018 10:22:35

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

Not even giving us a frost!?? Look - even the whole of continental Europe looks like it's starting at or above freezing and this is first thing in morning:

What a mild High indeed. - So frost is out of the equation then!?

29th January is my birthday and what a Crappy Birthday chart that is. Getting a present of slippers would be more exciting than the tedious dross that would bring.

It's just beyond a joke. When is this dire run of winters going to end? January has been atrocious with less snow than each of the past three Aprils and if February follows suit we will end up with a winter that is awful even by recent rock bottom standards

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Karl Guille
21 January 2018 19:54:01
Think yourself lucky tallyho-83, I'm the big 5-0 on Tuesday and look what I've got to look forward to!! Looking like another easterly starved winter down here in the deep south!
http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2018012112/gfs-1-42.png?12 
St. Sampson
Guernsey
David M Porter
21 January 2018 20:39:58

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

29th January is my birthday and what a Crappy Birthday chart that is. Getting a present of slippers would be more exciting than the tedious dross that would bring.

It's just beyond a joke. When is this dire run of winters going to end? January has been atrocious with less snow than each of the past three Aprils and if February follows suit we will end up with a winter that is awful even by recent rock bottom standards

January has seen less snow in Aberdeen than in each of the last three Aprils? You should have seen what we've had here since last Tuesday, Richard.

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
johncs2016
21 January 2018 21:38:45

Originally Posted by: David M Porter 

January has seen less snow in Aberdeen than in each of the last three Aprils? You should have seen what we've had here since last Tuesday, Richard.

As we all know though, it could be snowing every single day in Aberdeen with every day being an official ice day, yet I'm sure that even with all of that, Richard still wouldn't be happy with the winter weather in his part of the world.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
tallyho_83
21 January 2018 21:41:02

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

As we all know though, it could be snowing every single day in Aberdeen with every day being an official ice day, yet I'm sure that even with all of that, Richard still wouldn't be happy with the winter weather in his part of the world.

How did Edinburgh do out of this spell? good snowy spell last week evening? What about this morning?

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

David M Porter
21 January 2018 22:08:07

Most probably, John.

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
tallyho_83
21 January 2018 23:13:23

Originally Posted by: Karl Guille 

Think yourself lucky tallyho-83, I'm the big 5-0 on Tuesday and look what I've got to look forward to!! Looking like another easterly starved winter down here in the deep south!
http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2018012112/gfs-1-42.png?12

Well happy birthday for Tuesday - When was the last official white birthday of yours? 

Looks like the many parts of the north have done well for snow this winter but perhaps maintaining the cold and snow has been the issue because most of the snow has been transient and temporary.

Once this horrible wet and zonal' week is out the way I look forward to a drier Feb even if it doesn't provide snow - at least it will put an end to days of relentless wind and rain and at least i won't get woken up by howling winds and icy rain/hail hitting the window etc in early hours every night and hearing all the bins being blown down outside etc,. We really need some dry, frosty weather and cold weather - cold crisp and dry to freeze all these cold flu/bugs that are going around everyone.

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Saint Snow
22 January 2018 09:29:46

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

What's worse than not getting snow is not getting snow and reading reports of surrounding areas getting snow and that what sums up this winter for this part of the country.

Even yesterday, Midlands did better than up here for what snow fell from that system and I get the feeling its going to happen again today. 

I hear ya!

When the colder air is supposed to be standing from north to south, it's especially frustrating when areas to the south of us get more snow than we do. I'm not that bothered in this instance, as the snow hasn't amounted to much outside of Scotland and the far north of England anyway, and quickly gone/washed away outside of that region. But as a general rule, it's teeth-grindingly annoying.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
tallyho_83
23 January 2018 11:24:32

Woke up to a +14.5c and it's now +15c and it's not even 12 midday yet. This is honestly dire to wake up to such dark miserable overcast mild dross! YUCK! I can cope with 9 or 10c but +14 or +15c in mid winter (January) is surely a little unseasonal! At least it's not stormy, wet and windy anymore and I am not being woken up by the rain or hail! But goodness me - this is so mild and unseasonal and it feels strange and with light winds i felt warm with a coat on earlier when walking this morning. Need to turn all heating off and open all windows. Just remarkable indeed. I hate this weather in January. and Guess what? Come March we will see max temps of like 2 or +3c during the daytime. - Just when we want spring to start and when we would all be longing for milder and drier weather we will get a block and northerly and north easterly which will be a rubbish start to spring and we shall have a cool and wet May with easterly winds.

TYPICAL!! 

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
23 January 2018 11:35:08

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

I hear ya!

When the colder air is supposed to be standing from north to south, it's especially frustrating when areas to the south of us get more snow than we do. I'm not that bothered in this instance, as the snow hasn't amounted to much outside of Scotland and the far north of England anyway, and quickly gone/washed away outside of that region. But as a general rule, it's teeth-grindingly annoying.

At least you can take a day out in the Peak District or Lake District. Even that isn't an option here. We southerners hear those from the Midlands sounding off about what a great winter for snowfall - we don't have it and by the time we might get organised for a visit to their snowfields it'a all melting again.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
idj20
23 January 2018 11:39:29

Just popped into the shopping centre to get some bits for the new bathroom and am wondering how could 0.0000001 mm of drizzle make everything (including me) so damp through. Joys of us being under a tropical maritime type airflow but at least it isn't properly pouring down with gale force winds . . . oh, wait, that's yet to come tomorrow. 

A shame as yesterday was lovely with Spring-like sunshine.

Folkestone Harbour. 
richardabdn
23 January 2018 19:19:10

Originally Posted by: DEW 

At least you can take a day out in the Peak District or Lake District. Even that isn't an option here. We southerners hear those from the Midlands sounding off about what a great winter for snowfall - we don't have it and by the time we might get organised for a visit to their snowfields it'a all melting again.

Not an option here either as this winter is so dire that even places as far inland as Ballater and Aboyne, which are supposedly amongst the snowiest in the country, have no lying snow

Would have to go to Braemar which is almost two hours away and, with the sun still disappearing behind the mountains by 1:30pm, it’s just not worth it until mid-February. Besides which the snow has now gone and doesn’t look like returning any time soon.

This winter is beyond a joke really. Less than 60mm precipitation which is on a par with 1988/89. Only one proper day of snow (8th December) which is ridiculous given the cold weather. Used to be a clear relationship with winters tending to be mild/dry or cold/wet(snowy). Now we have to suffer useless dry polar westerlies year in year out and horrid mild wet SE’lies though even they have just been producing drizzle this year rather than the usual deluges.

Would like to think this dry spell will last all year, or all of the next four years given the wetness of the past four years, but it’s a near certainty the horrendous wet stuff will return in time for summer when at least one month is now guaranteed to bring record or near record rainfall

johncs2016
31 January 2018 23:59:58
I've just seen the forecast for the next few days from BBC Scotland.

On that forecast, temperatures are expected to reach 5/6°C which isn't even the least bit cold for this time of year in this part of the world.

For here, it will probably just be dry as the Fife Hills and the Trossachs shelters us from any showery activity but even where there are showers, any snow is forecast to be confined to high ground, even in the far north of Scotland.

At night, we are also expected to be struggling yet again to get any sort of air frost.

Yes, this is happening with what is supposedly, a 'cold' northerly wind from the Arctic and so when you sum all of this up, that has to be the most feeble and pathetic attempt at a northerly which I have ever seen.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
tallyho_83
01 February 2018 00:01:31

Just a quick rant - more the fact that this so far at least for the south west is a dejavu of previous cooler or chillier spells.

Like not cold enough for snow or frost or ice days etc.

What bugs me the most about this right now is the fact that we are at the awkward no-mans precipitation (No soft hail/Hail/wet snow or pure rain) just icy muck/rain then ice pellets followed by heavy rain with sleet and more rain as precipitation get's lighter - So it's annoying weather as it doesn't know what it wants to do. Be it rain, sleet, soft hail or hail but it sounds icy from time to time! Where by temperatures haven't fallen enough for it to be pure wet snow which is visible so when a wintry shower comes along then it will fall as rain as temperature rises - a bit like beginning of Jan and 8th or 9th December 17 as well as previous cooler snaps. Tonight is a prime example!

It was cold and the car was frosted up at 9pm until a shower of rain and hail/sleet arrive - the temperature rose from +2.7c to now +4.7c that's a 2c rise in temperature and now the precipitation is all rain or icy! YUCK!

This cooler snap is another joke so let's hope these models /forecasts for snow/ice days materialise on Saturday if not then next week and heres to the SSW that may occur.

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Bolty
01 February 2018 00:09:42

Yes, the worst month of the year is done! Happy February, and not much of winter left now!

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
richardabdn
01 February 2018 18:23:05

I've just seen the forecast for the next few days from BBC Scotland.

On that forecast, temperatures are expected to reach 5/6°C which isn't even the least bit cold for this time of year in this part of the world.

For here, it will probably just be dry as the Fife Hills and the Trossachs shelters us from any showery activity but even where there are showers, any snow is forecast to be confined to high ground, even in the far north of Scotland.

At night, we are also expected to be struggling yet again to get any sort of air frost.

Yes, this is happening with what is supposedly, a 'cold' northerly wind from the Arctic and so when you sum all of this up, that has to be the most feeble and pathetic attempt at a northerly which I have ever seen.

Couldn’t agree more. 5.1C max and 4.6C currently aren't remotely cold temperatures. This is even worse than the feeble flop in late December which did at least eventually give some snow. Should have got a decent snowfall out of today’s synoptics. Instead the vilest most unspeakably bad and unpleasant day of another totally rank non-winter. You could fill a toilet roll listing godawful days like this over the past four years whereas a stamp would suffice to outline the good stuff.

Absolutely disgusting beyond words. Wet, windy, dark and depressing. The worst weather bar none. Morning walk to work was turned in to an impromptu audition for ‘It’s a Knockout’, having to navigate an obstacle course of blown down wheelie bins while at the same time trying to hold off the onslaught of horizontal water. 9mm of rain and by far the worst winds of the winter. Has helped this winter edge closer to the top of the list of my most detested of all time. Still a long way off 2013/14 but it’s battling it out for second place with 2015/16 and 2016/17. Certainly nothing pre-2013 would come close that’s for sure.

I must say that even in 2013/14 when we had almost continuous gloom and rain for the last fortnight of January we still managed a frost on the 24th. This year has seen no frost since the 21st Jan – now 11 days. It’s not even come close, having failed to go lower than +1.3C and I’m struggling to ever recall such a dire spell at this time of year. No snow for over a month and very little mild weather either. Just atrocious 5C windy rubbish pretty much day in day out for the fifth non-winter in a row.

The stats for January since 2005 are just abysmal. Just two falls of snow greater than 5cm in that time and one January that managed 100 hours frost compared to two Marches. When it comes to genuine mild weather the absence of that has been even more acute. There has not been a properly mild January (at least 1C above average) since 2007 and only 2014 and 2017 have been at least 0.5C above average. In both cases it was due to minima as the maximum anomaly was only +0.2C in 2014 and +0.4C last year. So no January with mild day temperatures since 2007 and this is on course to be the first decade since the 1960s when it hasn’t recorded 14C. About the only time it even gets to 10C is during the overnight period. By contrast the 90s and 2000s produced lots of very mild weather but had more in the way of frost and snow too. Far more desirable and interesting than endless 5C tripe.

I’ve said this before but the 2010s are the decade the weather died and extremes just stopped happening

johncs2016
02 February 2018 00:24:18

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Couldn’t agree more. 5.1C max and 4.6C currently aren't remotely cold temperatures. This is even worse than the feeble flop in late December which did at least eventually give some snow. Should have got a decent snowfall out of today’s synoptics. Instead the vilest most unspeakably bad and unpleasant day of another totally rank non-winter. You could fill a toilet roll listing godawful days like this over the past four years whereas a stamp would suffice to outline the good stuff.

Absolutely disgusting beyond words. Wet, windy, dark and depressing. The worst weather bar none. Morning walk to work was turned in to an impromptu audition for ‘It’s a Knockout’, having to navigate an obstacle course of blown down wheelie bins while at the same time trying to hold off the onslaught of horizontal water. 9mm of rain and by far the worst winds of the winter. Has helped this winter edge closer to the top of the list of my most detested of all time. Still a long way off 2013/14 but it’s battling it out for second place with 2015/16 and 2016/17. Certainly nothing pre-2013 would come close that’s for sure.

I must say that even in 2013/14 when we had almost continuous gloom and rain for the last fortnight of January we still managed a frost on the 24th. This year has seen no frost since the 21st Jan – now 11 days. It’s not even come close, having failed to go lower than +1.3C and I’m struggling to ever recall such a dire spell at this time of year. No snow for over a month and very little mild weather either. Just atrocious 5C windy rubbish pretty much day in day out for the fifth non-winter in a row.

The stats for January since 2005 are just abysmal. Just two falls of snow greater than 5cm in that time and one January that managed 100 hours frost compared to two Marches. When it comes to genuine mild weather the absence of that has been even more acute. There has not been a properly mild January (at least 1C above average) since 2007 and only 2014 and 2017 have been at least 0.5C above average. In both cases it was due to minima as the maximum anomaly was only +0.2C in 2014 and +0.4C last year. So no January with mild day temperatures since 2007 and this is on course to be the first decade since the 1960s when it hasn’t recorded 14C. About the only time it even gets to 10C is during the overnight period. By contrast the 90s and 2000s produced lots of very mild weather but had more in the way of frost and snow too. Far more desirable and interesting than endless 5C tripe.

I’ve said this before but the 2010s are the decade the weather died and extremes just stopped happening

What I'm really getting fed up with just now though, is of BBC forecasts at both the UK level and on BBC Scotland, constantly mentioning that it will be cold or even "chilly" when the temperatures which they are forecasting (as an example of that, tonight's BBC Scotland forecast had a temperature of +3°C forecast for 8am tomorrow morning), aren't even the slightly bit cold or chilly.

Solar Cycles
02 February 2018 09:19:29
The dreaded flow from the East is almost upon us, welcome endless grey days with zero precipitation in the offering.