Journalism is organised gossip
Frank H
19 October 2017 08:20:50

42mm to the 12th but nothing since.

Longest dry spell since June.

Wrightington, Wigan
johncs2016
19 October 2017 09:38:48
With all of the drizzle which was around yesterday, that was actually enough to produce 0.4 mm of rain at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh after my last report with a further 0.2 mm of rain at Edinburgh Gogarbank. That took the final total for yesterday to 1.2 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank whereas yesterday's final total for the botanic gardens in Edinburgh was just that figure which have just given for what has fallen since my last report. So far though, today has been completely dry at both sites.

Those amounts are very small and don't affect the number of rain days in any way. Because of that, I won't give my usual table of current totals here and will instead, just confirm that for Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 9am this morning, that takes the total for this month to 41.1 mm, the total for this autumn to 99.6 mm and the total for this year to 605.8 mm.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
ARTzeman
19 October 2017 15:41:36

10  Dry   Days.

2.1mm   Yesterday.

0.6mm   Today.

21.0mm This Month. 

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
P+ve Giant
20 October 2017 00:43:01

13.4mm on the 19th brings the total so far up to 48.1mm - it'll be interesting to see if high pressure gains the upper hand later this month or just merely acts as a mechanism to slow the progress of the Atlantic systems - so resulting in longer wet periods as happened here on the 19th. 

Just a mm or so shy of average at this stage of the month.

John.
speckledjim
20 October 2017 07:16:07
First bit of significant rain this month yesterday brings my total to 19.4mm
Thorner, West Yorkshire

johncs2016
20 October 2017 07:49:36

When you see the figures which I am about to report, you will find it hard to believe that up until 6pm last night, yesterday had been a completely dry day here in Edinburgh. However, the heavens really opened after that and between 6pm and midnight last night, there was 5.4 mm of rain at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 7.8 mm of rain at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh. In addition to that, there was then another 0.6 mm of rain at Edinburgh Gogarbank and another 0.6 mm of rain at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh during the early hours of this morning. That means that the overall totals from this event were 8.4 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh and 6.0 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank. This means that the current running totals for Edinburgh Gogarbank for up to 7am this morning and taking a rain day to be one where there has been at least 1 mm of rain are as follows:

Monthly Total For October: 52.6 mm (Expected), 47.4 mm (Actual)
Number of Rain Days in October so far: 18.4 (Expected), 12 (Actual)

We have now had 56.1% of our average October rainfall and 93.8% of our average number of rain days in October so far, so this month is currently 9.9% drier than average according to the actual rainfall amounts, but 50.6% wetter than average according to the number of rain days with only one more rain day needed to confirm that this month will go down as a wetter than average month in terms of the number of rain days.

2017 Autumn Total: 110.6 mm (Expected), 105.6 mm (Actual)
Number of Rain Days so far this autumn: 15.1 (Expected), 28 (Actual)

We have had 48.4% of our average autumn rainfall so far and 77.4% of our average number of rain days for this autumn so far, so this autumn is currently 4.5% drier than average according to the actual rainfall totals, but 52.3% wetter than average according to the number of rain days.

2017 Yearly Total: 585.1 mm (Expected), 611.8 mm (Actual)

We have had 81.1% of our average annual rainfall so far, so this year is currently 4.6% wetter than average.

This coming weekend, we have Storm Brian on the way with the centre of that low pressure system currently expected to pass right over this part of the world. However, the latest model output suggests that our rainfall totals over the next 10 days are not likely to be any higher than average despite the current, very unsettled spell of weather which we are in just now. Since Edinburgh Gogarbank in particular is currently still running slightly drier than average during this month so far, this would suggest that this month will end up being slightly drier than average, despite this month being a fairly unsettled one.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Tim A
20 October 2017 08:13:22
Up to 29mm after 13mm yesterday

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

ARTzeman
20 October 2017 09:18:10

Now reached 29.7mm.   had 10 Dry Days so far. 

Others just get wet.
P+ve Giant
20 October 2017 11:42:49

A further 5.6mm to add for today: Total now at 53.7mm. The month's average here is 76mm.

John.
Andy J
20 October 2017 14:00:32

Despite a wet day yesterday with 5.5mm, it's still a very dry month here. Total so far is just 12mm, and still lies below the driest October I've recorded, that being October 1995 with 15mm.

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
johncs2016
21 October 2017 08:13:29

It is almost not worthwhile posting anything here today since Storm Brian has been almost a complete non-event here, having just delivered no more than 0.4 mm of rain to Edinburgh Gogarbank during last night up to midnight. That takes yesterday's final total for that site to 1.0 mm which only just makes yesterday an official rain day and no more. On top of that, there has been just a measly 0.6 mm of rain at Edinburgh Gogarbank during the early hours of this morning. Weathercast.co.uk isn't providing us with any rainfall data just now (which means that I can't say how much rain has fallen at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh), so I am currently having to rely on SEPA once again for that data. Nevertheless, the current running totals for Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 7am this morning and taking a rain day to be one where at least 1.0 mm of rain has fallen, is as follows:

Monthly Total For October: 55.0 mm (Expected), 48.4 mm (Actual)
Number of Rain Days in October so far: 8.4 (Expected), 13 (Actual)

We have now had 57.3% of our average October rainfall and 101.6% of our average number of rain days in October so far, so this month is currently 12.5% drier than average according to the actual rainfall amounts, but 55.2% wetter than average according to the number of rain days.

2017 Autumn Total: 113.3 mm (Expected), 106.6 mm (Actual)
Number of Rain Days so far this autumn: 18.8 (Expected), 29 (Actual)

We have had 49.3% of our average autumn rainfall so far and 80.1% of our average number of rain days for this autumn so far, so this autumn is currently 5.9% drier than average according to the actual rainfall totals, but 54.4% wetter than average according to the number of rain days.

2017 Yearly Total: 587.8 mm (Expected), 612.8 mm (Actual)

We have had 81.2% of our average annual rainfall so far, so this year is currently 4.3% wetter than average.

It is the fact that we keep on getting those really small totals such as what I have just reported, which are the reason why we have continued to lag behind the long-term 1981-2010 average for the amount of rainfall in this part of the world. This has actually been ongoing since the latter part of August and at that time, I can remember us being close to the average already about two-thirds of the way through August only to then find it a real struggle to be able to officially confirm that as a wetter than average month due to those small daily totals which we were now getting.

In the end, August did end up wetter than average, though only just wetter than average and mainly as a result of what happened during the first two-thirds of that month. That pattern of constantly getting only small daily totals has continued ever since then which means that although we are seeing a lot more actual rain days than normal (yesterday was just a rain day and no more, but the fact that it was a rain day means that this will now go down as a wetter than average month in terms of the number of rain days, regardless of what happens during the rest of the month), we are just not getting enough rain out of that, to allow us to have any more than the average amount of rainfall during each of the autumn months so far.

Occasionally, we do get the odd really wet day but it is only because of those few really wet days that we are getting anything like the average amount of rainfall and were it not for those days, this would have been a very dry autumn so far up until this point in time in this part of the world.

ARTzeman
21 October 2017 10:19:32

4.8mm.    yesterday

0.3mm     today

34.8mm    This Month.  

Others just get wet.
sunny coast
21 October 2017 17:28:07

rain totals have realy upped in the past two days  17mm today and 10 yesterday total now 46

Gray-Wolf
21 October 2017 20:10:31

We just had flood sirens.... river levels went beyond the 2.8m 'flooding likely' to 3.26m..... stopped raining now but I think the east Lancs side copped the bigger share of things ( upper Irwell? ).

Koyaanisqatsi
ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.
VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS
P+ve Giant
21 October 2017 21:25:42

Just 3.7mm to add here: Total now at 57.4mm.

John.
Tim A
21 October 2017 21:33:40

14mm of heavy rain this afternoon.
Current monthly total 43.4mm

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Gusty
22 October 2017 06:55:32

35.8mm now after a wet couple of days. 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

speckledjim
22 October 2017 07:56:47
30.4mm to date
Thorner, West Yorkshire

johncs2016
22 October 2017 08:05:32

Whilst many members have been reporting a sudden increase in rainfall totals in recent days often after a very dry month so far, everything has gone in the opposite direction here despite the passage of Storm Brian over the course of the weekend. There was 0.2 mm of rain at the botanic gardens during yesterday afternoon, but that can't really be considered as being measurable in any way, since we can easily get that on a damp morning with a heavy overnight dew, as a result of a little bit of that moisture running into the rain gauges.

Having said that though, there was 1.4 mm of rain at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh last night between 11pm and midnight followed by a further 0.2 mm of rain in the early hours of this morning between midnight and 1am. Indeed, the botanic gardens in Edinburgh has actually been the wetter of my two local stations with the total for this month coming closer to the average than this month's total for Edinburgh Gogarbank even without that missing data for the botanic Gardens in Edinburgh which I haven't been able to get from weathercast.co.uk. However, some of that missing data covers the early hours of yesterday morning and because of that, I am unable to give a final total for yesterday at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh although I do know that the fact that at least 1.6 mm of rain was recorded at that site during yesterday means that yesterday was an official rain day there.

However, that rain from last night was obviously very localised as there has still been nothing at all in the way of rainfall recorded at Edinburgh Gogarbank since the early hours of yesterday, and that means that the total for this month at that site remains stuck at 48.4 mm which is the same figure that I reported yesterday. That means that yesterday's final total for Edinburgh Gogarbank is just the 0.6 mm which was recorded in the early hours of yesterday morning which isn't even enough for yesterday to be recorded as an official rain day at that site.

Looking ahead, our best chance of getting some rain is likely to come from a weather system moving in from the west during tomorrow, but even that rain is currently being forecast to be no more than light and patchy. That means that there really isn't all that much in the way of rain in the forecast for the week ahead which means that we could be in for a very dry week, indeed. When you add all of that together, it is now looking as though any chance that we might have had of getting a wetter than average month has probably gone now, especially with the failure of Storm Brian to bring much in the way of rain here which has probably now helped to seal that deal. Given the latest model runs as well, it wouldn't even surprise me if this month came out fairly substantially drier than average in the end, in this part of the world.