Bertwhistle
27 February 2017 17:51:09

1.4 today.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Lumi-Ukko
27 February 2017 20:23:26
Hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread as it is an interesting read! It prompted me look at my own UV indices here in Santa Monica:

http://www.homefacts.com/uvindex/California/Los-Angeles-County/Santa-Monica.html 

The highest it goes in December is 4, average in the 2's. In June and July it gets as high as 12, with averages in the 11's.

Today is currently 2.87 under think cloud. Should be a little over 5 later in the week under clear skies. By mid-March, it can already be as high as 8!

Interestingly, my skin has gotten used to it and I don't burn anywhere near as fast as I used to, and this is coming from a fair-skinned Yorkshireman.
Bertwhistle
27 February 2017 21:34:48

Originally Posted by: Lumi-Ukko 

Hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread as it is an interesting read! It prompted me look at my own UV indices here in Santa Monica:

http://www.homefacts.com/uvindex/California/Los-Angeles-County/Santa-Monica.html

The highest it goes in December is 4, average in the 2's. In June and July it gets as high as 12, with averages in the 11's.

Today is currently 2.87 under think cloud. Should be a little over 5 later in the week under clear skies. By mid-March, it can already be as high as 8!

Interestingly, my skin has gotten used to it and I don't burn anywhere near as fast as I used to, and this is coming from a fair-skinned Yorkshireman.

Glad you could join the thread Lumi!

It will be interesting to compare the Santa Monica/ various UK locations as the year progresses. I'd like to draw your attention to the day in June 2000 when phenomenally dry air gave a level in Reading of > 9. Some UK spots may have approached 10 that day. The previous forecast range of 1-7 for the UK (which, after my contestations with the metO was upped to 😎 were clearly related to general data, rather than extreme. I bet Santa M gets a 14 on the most extreme!

8 is a regular June/ July forecast in S. UK now. 6 from May to August is common. 

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Rob K
28 February 2017 10:46:21

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Forgot to add- notice on some days the curve is constant, but these are not the days with the highest UV- the spikier days, suggesting cumulus or other interruptions, reach the highest values; cloud cover or air type intensifying the UV?

Generally days with lower upper air humidity (like today!) are the days with deep blue skies and puffy cumulus clouds, so the UV reading between clouds will be higher.

Hazy summer days with higher humidity and a bit of general high cirrus tend to have fewer cumulus clouds.

This is a good link showing current and forecast upper air humidity. Dark browns (low humidity) are usually associated with deep blue skies (assuming there is no lower level cloud obscuring it of course!) 

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-euroupper.php?run=2017022806&var=RH&lev=300mb&hour=000

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Bertwhistle
28 February 2017 18:59:44

1.7 today.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
28 February 2017 19:03:52

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

Generally days with lower upper air humidity (like today!) are the days with deep blue skies and puffy cumulus clouds, so the UV reading between clouds will be higher.

Hazy summer days with higher humidity and a bit of general high cirrus tend to have fewer cumulus clouds.

This is a good link showing current and forecast upper air humidity. Dark browns (low humidity) are usually associated with deep blue skies (assuming there is no lower level cloud obscuring it of course!) 

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-euroupper.php?run=2017022806&var=RH&lev=300mb&hour=000

Thanks for the link Rob; what you say certainly makes sense. I can correlate the RH (roughly) from your link on different days with the max UV, other factors considered (I might try on April-Sep days, say, with 10 hours + sunshine just to create a weak control measure).

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Lumi-Ukko
28 February 2017 20:48:34
Clear skies and humidity of 43%, with UV at 4.8. Should be as high as 6 on Friday.

Off topic, but going to do some garden clear up between bouts of office work today as I am way behind. Hopefully not too late to put in some peas, radish, and salad greens in the shadier beds. Broad beans and squash can be sown already in the sunnier beds. Tomatoes can be bedded in 3 weeks. Raspberry and Blackberry second-year cane buds just starting to open.
Bolty
28 February 2017 23:08:08
Manchester is pretty much seeing daytime UV indices of 2 now. I usually find that the first moderate UV is around mid-March here.

Last year, I think it first happened on March 11.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Bertwhistle
01 March 2017 18:24:21

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

Manchester is pretty much seeing daytime UV indices of 2 now. I usually find that the first moderate UV is around mid-March here.

Last year, I think it first happened on March 11.

Interesting. The 2s have come early this year too. Those quoted are for Reading- we are some way south of Reading, so mid Feb is possible.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
01 March 2017 18:26:12

Just under, but rounded to, 2 today.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Lumi-Ukko
01 March 2017 19:32:42
Cracking day here. Currently 20c, humidity 30% and UV of 5.
Bertwhistle
01 March 2017 20:10:33

Originally Posted by: Lumi-Ukko 

Cracking day here. Currently 20c, humidity 30% and UV of 5.

That'll get your plants going. Still on for a 6 tomorrow?

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Lumi-Ukko
01 March 2017 20:39:56

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

That'll get your plants going. Still on for a 6 tomorrow?

I haven't checked but definitely a 6 still in the forecast for Friday.  Didn't get my seeds in yesterday as composting, feeding and watering all the potted fruit trees/shrubs took a lot longer than expected. The sun still sets about 5.45pm here so not much time to do anything after work. Will attempt to get them in today to take advantage of the 24c weather and high UV forecast over the next couple of days.

I probably should really be contributing to the gardening thread.

Bertwhistle
02 March 2017 18:16:35

2.2 today- best so far.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
03 March 2017 17:16:02

1.8 today- cloudy

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Lumi-Ukko
03 March 2017 20:40:41

UV of 6 today under slightly hazy skies. 25c  and humidity of 10% whilst writing.

Bertwhistle
04 March 2017 11:51:21

Currently 1.9 with the sun popping in and out behind the clouds. Could we top this year's best- a 2.3? Doesn't compare to Lummi's, of course.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
05 March 2017 08:12:49

Actually only reached 2.0 yesterday, as cloud and in-forecasted rain spoiled the afternoon. Looking out of the window right now, it's hard to believe that 2 is also forecast for today.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
06 March 2017 19:07:30

2.1 yesterday. 2.3 today- today holds the top spot.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
07 March 2017 19:19:08

2.5 today. Thought it felt a bit special in the few moments around 1pm when I got out. In fact the chart for Reading shows 2.5 from about 1130a.m. to 1p.m. Good clear air after the rain.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.