Bertwhistle
28 January 2017 16:45:41

The UK has for a long time been described has having a maximum UV index of 8, at one location in Cornwall, rarely. This was challenged at the MetO in recent years until they adjusted their forecast UV range from 1-7 to 1-8. A factor of 8 is now more commonly forecast eg on the BBC website in June & July.

This interesting link gives a UV reading in Reading in June 2000 (this was, admittedly, a notable dry air high UV event) of about 9.6. Reading is some distance inland away from the S coast where higher UV indices are often recorded.There are other events I am sure if anyone has the time to scroll through the site.

On that June day I was walking north in the Wallop Brook valley and had my shirt off for about 15 minutes before my wife told me to put it back on. I have a white skin that tans easily. I burned. I just thought the UV index was a worthwhile topic- some of us look out for it cranking up to 2 in March each year with some excitement!

https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/data/uv-index-graphs

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Bertwhistle
28 January 2017 16:52:16

Forgot to add- notice on some days the curve is constant, but these are not the days with the highest UV- the spikier days, suggesting cumulus or other interruptions, reach the highest values; cloud cover or air type intensifying the UV?

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bolty
28 January 2017 18:19:20
Good website that. It gives a good visualisation of UV indices in the UK. It's a website I might use more often.

I wonder if these very high UV indices can be attributed to decreased ozone in the stratosphere. If you get an area of atmosphere with a lower concentration of stratospheric ozone over a region near the summer solstice (or at any time of year, in fact), it is bound to result in a higher index.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Whether Idle
28 January 2017 18:29:27

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

some of us look out for it cranking up to 2 in March each year with some excitement!

https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/data/uv-index-graphs

As the proud owner of my own little green power station - my 15 panel  solar array - I notice how the solar output ticks up markedly under any sun at the very start of March, compared to a week or two beforehand.  Exciting times, I relish this time of year, the best of the astronomical winter just about to come, and the promise of increasing daylength and some sparkling sunshine just around the corner. 

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
Gusty
28 January 2017 20:41:00

Good website that. 

March 7th is the day when the sun starts to turn my skin a healthier looking colour. Tanning opportunity continues until about 2nd October down here for me. By mid January I start to look decidedly pale !

Between 7-14th March the sun really does ramp up.

Not long now...

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

Bertwhistle
28 January 2017 20:47:44

Originally Posted by: Gusty 

Good website that. 

March 7th is the day when the sun starts to turn my skin a healthier looking colour. Tanning opportunity continues until about 2nd October down here for me. By mid January I start to look decidedly pale !

Between 7-14th March the sun really does ramp up.

Not long now...

I agree- at least, in our sort of latitude; I do remember a slight bronzing (you'd have to want to see it, if you know what I mean) out on Purbeck in Feb 87, under long periods of sun, but my earliest gentle tanning recently was first week of March, re-roofing the shed. The shadow of the house down the lawn shortens quickly through March too.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
18 February 2017 08:09:13

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2633858

First UV2 forecast for the Itchen Valley today. That'll open the crocuses.

Just seen yesterday's data- it did just reach 2 at around 1200 but sadly I was locked away in a dark box.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
20 February 2017 08:41:01

UV max at Reading 1.7 on Saturday and 1.6 yesterday despite the cloud.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
21 February 2017 07:43:28

Reading max UV 2.1 yesterday; highest of the year so far.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
22 February 2017 09:09:40

UV 1.6 max at Reading yesterday.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
23 February 2017 09:30:02

Reading UV yesterday 1.4 max.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
warrenb
23 February 2017 11:25:54
I notice this also because of my PV panels. The last few days the peak output has been rising, and today was reaching 2.8kwh for a time.
Not long until I get the battery system installed with another 1.5 kw on garage roof, and will be electrically self sufficient for 9 months of the year.
Bertwhistle
24 February 2017 10:09:25

Reading UV max 1.8 yesterday. Already 1.3 at 9am this morning.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
some faraway beach
24 February 2017 10:42:16

Above 2 is the threshold I look for, because it's only above that number that exposure to UV enables the body to start generating vitamin D.

2 miles west of Taunton, 32 m asl, where "milder air moving in from the west" becomes SNOWMAGEDDON.
Well, two or three times a decade it does, anyway.
Bertwhistle
24 February 2017 15:24:52

Peaked at 1.9 today. Thought it could have passed two easily.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
warrenb
24 February 2017 15:27:01
Got a peak of 1.6 on my PWS. It is creeping up.
Retron
24 February 2017 17:31:17
It's certainly creeping up... another three weeks or so and it'll be a case of having to slop on loads of oily goop when I go on wolf walks. Roll on October!
Leysdown, north Kent
idj20
24 February 2017 17:34:26

A few extra minutes of solar heating in my famed west-facing hobby room this afternoon.  That's a few less minutes saved on the central heating. Of course, that only applies when the sun is actually out, like it has been off and on today.

Folkestone Harbour. 
Bertwhistle
25 February 2017 15:00:07

Only managed 1.3 today under extensive cloud- but that in itself is interesting, as Boxing Day was a beautiful sunny morning and it only reached 1.3 in the sunshine- so UV levels under the cloud now match those in bright sunshine near the solstice.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
26 February 2017 19:45:54

Reached 1.8 at 11a.m. before the weather turned for the day. Another week and we'll be seeing 2.5, I'm sure. Interesting that the Beeb/ MetO seem to be quite frequently forecasting 2s for the south earlier in the year than usual.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.