Essan
02 December 2016 18:46:01

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Jeez, you went THAT low??? What were you thinking?????

I know.   And originally I went even lower .....

I blame the MetO

But miracles can happen

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
ARTzeman
03 December 2016 11:21:06

Met Office Hadley         4.2c.        Anomaly        -1.0c.   Provisional to 2nd.

Metcheck                      5.18c.      Anomaly         0.19c.

Netweather                   4.7c.        Anomaly        -0.41c.

Peasedown St John       5.7c.     Anomaly       -2.0c.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Saint Snow
03 December 2016 13:06:51

Originally Posted by: Essan 

But miracles can happen

Well it's the right time of year for them!

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Stormchaser
03 December 2016 21:27:49

I went with the model consensus as of 31st Nov for the high to keep the milder air at bay until at least Friday, which coupled with the second-half cold signals led to a prediction of a month 2*C below the LTA.

GFS to 14th has it almost 2*C above 

It's still at 6.2*C or there abouts as of 19th (would be higher but it had unrealistically high temps under the mid-lat block later on) and even if I simulate a notable cold spell for the rest of the month with a mean of just 0.5*C, the final CET is no lower than 4*C.

So according to GFS my prediction is totally screwed already and I almost wonder why on Earth I bothered and what use is science in the face of model haplessness.

I say almost because I'm not quite convinced about the mid-month period taking so long to chill out... but even then it's going to take some serious cold weather in the final 10 days to put things right and I'm not sure the cannons are loaded for that kind of show.

In truth though  I'd up my punt by 1*C if was able to bend the rules like that. Oh well, it's not like I was in contention anyway 

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Whether Idle
03 December 2016 21:35:59

My view is it's best not to trust ANY model beyond 10 days at the mostest.  Beyond 10 days, always trust your gut, over a model.

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
ARTzeman
04 December 2016 11:56:18

Met Office Hadley          4.6c.         Anomaly    -0.6c.   Provisional to 3rd.

Metcheck                       4.73c.       Anomaly     -0.27c.

Netweather                    4.92c.       Anomaly     -0.19c.

Peasedown St John      5.2c.        Anomaly     -2.36c. 

Others just get wet.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
04 December 2016 19:18:37

Originally Posted by: Whether Idle 

My view is it's best not to trust ANY model beyond 10 days at the mostest.  Beyond 10 days, always trust your gut, over a model.

Absolutely agree. Although my gut feelings are not so great either. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
ARTzeman
05 December 2016 08:50:40

My prediction is up the shoot until after the 14th.....

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
05 December 2016 13:26:27

Met Office Hadley         4.2c.        Anomaly         -1.2c.      Provisional to 4th.

Metcheck                      4.07c.      Anomaly          -0.9c.

Netweather                   4.64c.      Anomaly          -047c.

Peasedown St John     4.4c.       Anomaly         -2.98c.   

Others just get wet.
Hungry Tiger
05 December 2016 15:07:56

Originally Posted by: Stormchaser 

I went with the model consensus as of 31st Nov for the high to keep the milder air at bay until at least Friday, which coupled with the second-half cold signals led to a prediction of a month 2*C below the LTA.

It's still at 6.2*C or there abouts as of 19th (would be higher but it had unrealistically high temps under the mid-lat block later on) and even if I simulate a notable cold spell for the rest of the month with a mean of just 0.5*C, the final CET is no lower than 4*C.

So according to GFS my prediction is totally screwed already and I almost wonder why on Earth I bothered and what use is science in the face of model haplessness.

I say almost because I'm not quite convinced about the mid-month period taking so long to chill out... but even then it's going to take some serious cold weather in the final 10 days to put things right and I'm not sure the cannons are loaded for that kind of show.

In truth though  I'd up my punt by 1*C if was able to bend the rules like that. Oh well, it's not like I was in contention anyway 

Great post that one is. :-)

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Global Warming
05 December 2016 20:40:25

Apologies but due to the time of year I am very busy at work currently and so do not have time to update this thread or the November thread at present. There will therefore be a significant delay. Can't say at the moment when I will be able to update. Probably this weekend at the earliest. Sorry.

Stormchaser
06 December 2016 09:53:16

Originally Posted by: Whether Idle 

My view is it's best not to trust ANY model beyond 10 days at the most.  Beyond 10 days, always trust your gut, over a model.

Oh I do - the critical shift in events determining the ridge placement happened at around 6 or 7 days range.

Still hopeful for a mid-month anticyclonic cold spell, with the GFS 00z showing support and ECM not far off either.

GFS 00z raw numbers bring the CET down into the upper 3s by 22nd which is impressive given that it's way up at 6.3 or so to 11th. Relies on getting a continental low-level feed followed by the high pressure drifting right overhead to allow some cold nights. Given typical modelling shortfalls when it comes to just how low temps go under such circumstances the CET estimate from the raw numbers is probably a bit high.

I'm a long way from settling down on that idea fully though; last nights 12z op runs were shockingly far from the mid-lat blocking theme and the ECM 00z is still a close call on continental over maritime feed 14th-15th - though yes the continental wins by 16th.

Hopefully GEFS will turn out to have been leading the way yesterday as they were a lot more keen on a strong block that's not only in our vicinity but at a higher latitude than we saw last week so with better scope for importing cold air from the east or northeast later in time.

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
ARTzeman
06 December 2016 11:12:37

Met Office Hadley           3.8c.        Anomaly       -1.5c.  Provisional to 6th.

Metcheck                        3.68c.      Anomaly       -1.32c.

Netweather                     4.13c.      Anomaly       -0.98c.

Peasedown  St John      4.2c.       Anomaly    -3.18c. 

Others just get wet.
Bertwhistle
06 December 2016 18:18:17

Originally Posted by: Stormchaser 

Now that's what I call FI

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
06 December 2016 18:37:59

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 

Met Office Hadley           3.8c.        Anomaly       -1.5c.  Provisional to 6th.

Metcheck                        3.68c.      Anomaly       -1.32c.

Netweather                     4.13c.      Anomaly       -0.98c.

Peasedown  St John      4.2c.       Anomaly    -3.18c. 

I think I'm right today!  I'd better make the most of it. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
ARTzeman
07 December 2016 11:43:19

Met office Hadley            4.0c.       Anomaly       -1.2c.    Provisional to 6th.

Metcheck                         4.28c     Anomaly       -0.71c.

Netweather                      4.49c.    Anomaly       -0.62c.

Peasedown St john         4.8c.     Anomaly         -2.58c.  

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
08 December 2016 12:15:35

Met Office Hadley          4.8c.        Anomaly     -0.3c.

Metcheck                       5.28c.      Anomaly      0.28c.

Netweather                    5.46c.      Anomaly      0.37c.

Peasedown St John      5..7c.      Anomaly       -1.68c.  

Others just get wet.
Devonian
08 December 2016 18:42:21

I'm not looking forward to GWs list of predictions given mine must be going to be waaayyy out. Given my views about that 'atmospheric 'you know what' effect that cannot be named' I should have had more sense

"When it takes nearly 900,000 votes to elect one party’s MP, and just 26,000 for another, you know something is deeply wrong."

The electoral reform society, 14,12,19
Whether Idle
08 December 2016 19:50:13

A change of 0.8c in one day of the CET  after the first week of a month is unusual.  Shows how mild it is at the moment compared to what preceded it!

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
kendalian
08 December 2016 20:48:11

My guess was 4.0

Forecasts at the time were for a cold first week and a mild second week...

As usual, beyond 14 days anything can happen! 

My guess was for it to stay fairly mild to close to Christmas, but then a serious cold spell Christmas to New Year aka 1995.

Now I'm thinking I'm 2 degrees too low, a week ago I thought I should be 1 or even 2 degrees lower...such are the vagaries of the British weather...we love it really