20 July 2016 07:34:24
Dark with distant thunder booming to my south
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Arcus
20 July 2016 07:40:05

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

Dark with distant thunder booming to my south

Some impressive strike rates from that line of cells.

Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
Crepuscular Ray
20 July 2016 08:02:01
A classic summer storm over Edinburgh. Frequent pink lightning and constant thunder from this multi-cellular beast. Mostly c-c but the odd crashing c-g. Very dark almost greeny colour
Jerry
howham
20 July 2016 08:07:56

Will it have the legs to get to Aberdeen later?

Crepuscular Ray
20 July 2016 08:21:43

Originally Posted by: howham 

Will it have the legs to get to Aberdeen later?

Think so.....cells are breaking out around Dundee ahead of the beast. There are plenty of cells kicking off around the Yorkshire Dale's and Cumbria too. All heading north.

Anyway...didn't you get spoilt last night?

Jerry
doctormog
20 July 2016 08:24:24
I'm sure I can hear distant continuous thunder here currently. Either way it still feels and looks conducive with a high humidity and lots of nice Ac Cas around.
howham
20 July 2016 09:00:45

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

Think so.....cells are breaking out around Dundee ahead of the beast. There are plenty of cells kicking off around the Yorkshire Dale's and Cumbria too. All heading north.

Anyway...didn't you get spoilt last night?

We did get a good storm between 4-5am but now I've got a taste I want some more...

howham
20 July 2016 09:13:35

Definite rumble of thunder heard and getting quite dark to the south.

doctormog
20 July 2016 09:14:33

We did get a good storm between 4-5am but now I've got a taste I want some more...

I would be surprised if you didn't get your wish. We have just had a big flash followed by a distant rumble. Things look very active in places to the south.

Arcus
20 July 2016 09:39:40
Revised warnings out.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1468969200 
As I mentioned earlier, risk area has been extended further SE to accommodate possibility of isolated storms later.
Ben,
30m asl
howham
20 July 2016 09:58:20

Looks to be slipping by to the west of Aberdeen.  Normal service resumed...

doctormog
20 July 2016 10:15:49

Looks to be slipping by to the west of Aberdeen.  Normal service resumed...

The day is still young and if I'm reading the models correctly the potential is still there until this evening.

Bolty
20 July 2016 10:49:39

Even though the main risk has passed for North West England, there's quite a lot of sunshine and instability at the moment, so the chance of the odd isolated storm later this afternoon can't be completely ruled out:

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Arcus
20 July 2016 10:55:22

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

Even though the main risk has passed for North West England, there's quite a lot of sunshine and instability at the moment, so the chance of the odd isolated storm later this afternoon can't be completely ruled out:

Storm seems to have fired NE of Liverpool, so yes.

Ben,
30m asl
P+ve Giant
20 July 2016 11:34:39

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

Similar skies here but it's all shunting away NEwards now with clear skies moving in from the west - I think it's game over for this neck of the woods! Not a drop of rain out of this system! The sky, looking west at noon - now clear in that direction.

UserPostedImage 

John.
David M Porter
20 July 2016 14:03:19

We had the thunder here between 7am and 10am this morning with some torrential rain and very dark with it. Much better day now though!

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
doctormog
20 July 2016 14:18:11
I'm watching the activity in the North Sea to work out if it will stay there or will pay a visit to the NE. Many weather models suggest that it will clip the NE but to my eye things look a little too far to the east. This morning's storm was good though so I shouldn't be greedy!
P+ve Giant
20 July 2016 14:43:27

Frequent rumbles from the south .. unexpected!!

Edit: 16.01 - Thunder is now constant and just to the S and SE - mostly cc activity.

John.
Sinky1970
20 July 2016 15:17:35
Just had a brief downpour with frequent rumbles, temp had reached 27.5C.
P+ve Giant
20 July 2016 15:21:58

Still not a drop of rain here and the activity has now moved off to the East. Quite a bit of activity now between Leek and Bakewell.

John.