David M Porter
22 May 2016 15:48:39

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

But what a sh*thouse stunt to leak this at the moment LVG (who, despite managing Scum-U, is a decent person by all accounts) gets some glory for his team.

Word is that it's Maureen's 'camp' who've leaked the news. Typical of the c**t.

Given it's been widely reported that Bobby Charlton (a genuine gentleman of the game) has been dead against his appointment, and even Ol' Baconface was cold of the prospect, it smacks of desperation. I mean, City get the most in-demand manager in the world, Chelsea get Conte, Pochettino is blossoming into a top class manager, and Liverpool have Klopp. I smell panic.

The thing about Mourinho is that even though he's a undoubtedly top class manager, from what I understand of his managerial career to date he hasn't stayed at any one club too long before either resigning or being sacked. His stints at Chelsea lasted three years and two-and-a-half years respectively, although the ending of his first spell there was I think more to do with events off the pitch than those on it. His stints at Real Madrid and Inter Milan didn't last that long either IIRC.

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
SEMerc
22 May 2016 20:36:56

I was genuinely hoping (against hope) for the 'dream team' of Van Gaal as DoF and Mourinho as manager.

Gavin D
23 May 2016 10:44:37
Breaking: Manchester United have sacked manager Louis van Gaal, according to reports. Club statement at 13:00 BST
Saint Snow
23 May 2016 11:15:08

Originally Posted by: David M Porter 

The thing about Mourinho is that even though he's a undoubtedly top class manager, from what I understand of his managerial career to date he hasn't stayed at any one club too long before either resigning or being sacked. His stints at Chelsea lasted three years and two-and-a-half years respectively, although the ending of his first spell there was I think more to do with events off the pitch than those on it. His stints at Real Madrid and Inter Milan didn't last that long either IIRC.

Judging by his managerial history...

He'll bring some rigidity to gameplans, bolstered by the signings of ready-made players who'll fit his system. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get Man U into the top 4 next season.

On the downside, the development of young/emerging talent is totally sacrificed. The style of play is generally negative and unattractive (wasn't that why the Man U fans were claiming they wanted LVG out???). The most important thing to Maureen is Maureen; making the teams he manages successful is mutually beneficial, but his decision-making will be for him, not the long-term success of the club.

I see Ibrahimovich is reported to be his first signing. That was obvious. He'll stymy the development of Martial & Rashford, but is a big, bustling CF who can hold the [long] ball up.

Apart from the likelihood that his appointment improves their chances of challenging for top-4 , I'm rather happy they've gone with Maureen.

Short-term gain for longer term pain.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Saint Snow
23 May 2016 13:15:49

Maureen unveils first signing, a new defence:

Martin
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
David M Porter
24 May 2016 16:41:01

Judging by his managerial history...

He'll bring some rigidity to gameplans, bolstered by the signings of ready-made players who'll fit his system. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get Man U into the top 4 next season.

On the downside, the development of young/emerging talent is totally sacrificed. The style of play is generally negative and unattractive (wasn't that why the Man U fans were claiming they wanted LVG out???). The most important thing to Maureen is Maureen; making the teams he manages successful is mutually beneficial, but his decision-making will be for him, not the long-term success of the club.

I see Ibrahimovich is reported to be his first signing. That was obvious. He'll stymy the development of Martial & Rashford, but is a big, bustling CF who can hold the [long] ball up.

Apart from the likelihood that his appointment improves their chances of challenging for top-4 , I'm rather happy they've gone with Maureen.

Short-term gain for longer term pain.

It'll be interesting to see how Mourinho copes with things should Man Utd ever hit a rough patch of form next season.

For whatever reasons, in the season just gone he clearly wasn't able to get Chelsea back on the rails after their shaky start to the season, and if anything their results at the back end of last year got worse rather than better hence why he was sacked. It would seem also that he had lost the support of the players, or at least a fair number of them.

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
SEMerc
24 May 2016 17:38:22

Originally Posted by: David M Porter 

It'll be interesting to see how Mourinho copes with things should Man Utd ever hit a rough patch of form next season.

For whatever reasons, in the season just gone he clearly wasn't able to get Chelsea back on the rails after their shaky start to the season, and if anything their results at the back end of last year got worse rather than better hence why he was sacked. It would seem also that he had lost the support of the players, or at least a fair number of them.

The usual template for Mourinho is rebuild in season 1, win the league in season 2, leave the club in season 3 when things go ti.ts up.

Saint Snow
25 May 2016 14:34:01

Originally Posted by: SEMerc 

The usual template for Mourinho is throw loads of money at established top name players to bring them to the club in season 1, win the league in season 2 with a bunch of temperamental, aging stars (who are all managed by Jorge Mendes) looking for a last hoorah, leave the club in season 3 when things go ti.ts up, stuck with a bunch of overpaid geriatrics.

Just corrected a few bits of your post. 'Merc

Martin
Aneurin Bevan
Gary L
26 May 2016 11:44:07

Right, I'm coming out from under my rock now LVG has pissed off! 

Mourinho is a brilliant signing - looks like Zlatan is on his way too for starters. Lets hope we get back to the top sharpish!

Saint Snow
28 May 2016 22:12:29

So several weeks ago, uefa declare that Liverpool's Mamadou Sakho has failed a drugs test and they provisionally ban him. He misses Liverpool's Eu-Loser League semi- and final, the league run-in, and is excluded from the France squad for his home country's Euro Championships.

Then uefa, following the hearing, concede that the 'fat burner' he took isn't actually on the banned list.

Hmmm...

I smell litigation - and I hope the corrupt, incompetent pieces of sh*t who comprise uefa are hung out to dry.

Martin
Aneurin Bevan
Saint Snow
29 May 2016 12:58:22

So the Tory government sign-off the very dubious deal that not only gives Wet Spam use of the Olympic Stadium for the weekly rent of a bag of crisps & two conkers but also uses £272m of [so-called scarce] public funds to convert the stadium.

Then it emerges that West Ham gave the Tory Party a chunky donation. This follows the Tory Government making West Ham vice-chair Karen Brady a Tory Peer.

I'm sure it's all just coincidence.

Martin
Aneurin Bevan
David M Porter
29 May 2016 17:48:54

So several weeks ago, uefa declare that Liverpool's Mamadou Sakho has failed a drugs test and they provisionally ban him. He misses Liverpool's Eu-Loser League semi- and final, the league run-in, and is excluded from the France squad for his home country's Euro Championships.

Then uefa, following the hearing, concede that the 'fat burner' he took isn't actually on the banned list.

Hmmm...

I smell litigation - and I hope the corrupt, incompetent pieces of sh*t who comprise uefa are hung out to dry.

Have they (UEFA) got a new president yet?

Lenzie, Glasgow