Bertwhistle
17 January 2016 15:16:45

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 

If we do not get a proper winter then I shall have to get my raspberry canes sorted and replanted into new container. Garlic is growing well.   

Yes it's hard to know what to do Art. I'm glad those couple of frosts set in before the blackcurrant buds had truly broken, though. It's also finished off the slugs on my crocuses!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Bertwhistle
20 January 2016 20:13:43

The daffodils that haven't already grown seed heads are now drooping after a few frosts!

This has stopped the plum from blossoming early.

Until 3 days ago I was marvelling at last year's green hazel leaves still hanging from the trees.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
23 January 2016 16:36:15

The sun is just high enough to get to our back (north-facing) garden and the crocuses have opened for the first time. They looked so shiny!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
23 January 2016 17:23:16

Daisies in flower on the lawn!

"Summer is here when a maid can put her foot on seven daisies at once" - not there yet, but at this rate, summer could start in March!

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Bertwhistle
23 January 2016 17:33:42

Originally Posted by: DEW 

Daisies in flower on the lawn!

"Summer is here when a maid can put her foot on seven daisies at once" - not there yet, but at this rate, summer could start in March!

Or a man 12! (I think that came from Carl Tyler, a former TVS weather man). Should we put a snowshoe on and cheat?

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
24 January 2016 09:16:22

What a fool! I left the Kaffir Lime outside in that -5.7C we had; it was happily shooting new sprigs in December. I'll have to watch it now but it doesn't look good. We got everything else in to the conservatory, but that was in the front garden and I forgot.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
24 January 2016 14:56:56

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Or a man 12! (I think that came from Carl Tyler, a former TVS weather man). Should we put a snowshoe on and cheat?

Further back, I think - it's in Laurie Lee's autobiography as a well-known country saying in the 1920s

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Bertwhistle
25 January 2016 03:03:37

Spent ages in the garden pulling out weeds yesterday- the frosty spell didn't seem to do much damage to them, or the slugs, which are busily gnawing at my crocuses.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
llamedos
25 January 2016 15:02:07

As we're into a new year I think I'll lock the old thread and move this upto the top on a "sticky".

"Life with the Lions"

TWO Moderator
llamedos
25 January 2016 15:06:16

The old thread hasn't been lost I've moved it to the TWO Classic's thread.

"Life with the Lions"

TWO Moderator
Bertwhistle
25 January 2016 17:59:53

Originally Posted by: llamedos 

The old thread hasn't been lost I've moved it to the TWO Classic's thread.

Yeah sorry llamedos; I didn't know what the agreed protocols were when I started this one - just saw other threads being restarted & wanted to inspire some posting so please accept apologies. Your thread!

Regards

Bertie

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
llamedos
30 January 2016 12:31:57

No problem with you opening a new thread Bertie , it's just we don't need two threads running in parallel which is why I archived the previous one.

"Life with the Lions"

TWO Moderator
ARTzeman
30 January 2016 13:38:27

Glad I brought my Orange Lime bush in from the Growing Room when I did befer the frosts.   Now have TWO fruits on it...

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Bertwhistle
30 January 2016 13:41:29

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 

Glad I brought my Orange Lime bush in from the Growing Room when I did befer the frosts.   Now have TWO fruits on it...

Well done Art; I mentioned earlier that I'd overlooked our Kaffir Lime; it's probably had it but we'll nurture its pot until spring. It got wet as well as cold. We do appreciate what it provides as we cook Thai food a lot.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
08 February 2016 15:26:08

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/747/Akebia-quinata/Details

Here's another first for this amazing season in the garden.

Our akebia (see above) is flowering. End of March 2012 is the earliest I can remember although I'll admit this one's not on my flowering diary list. The thing about this is it's not just a rogue flower (as in 2012)- the whole climber is bursting forth.

I prefer it from May onwards when the scent on heady summer evenings is hard to match-more evocative than jasmine even.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
13 February 2016 12:07:34

Several clumps of snowdrops now nodding delicately under the fruit trees on our woodland bank; they're braving this dungy weather with a sparkling white grin!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
15 February 2016 08:07:56

Time to get the broad beans in once tonight's frost has passed; the early, hardy sort seem to fight off the blackfly better later on.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
17 February 2016 03:15:21

Cowslips, pulmonaria and celandines in profusion along the woodland bank, looked odd covered in thick frost yesterday.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Skreever
17 February 2016 08:48:41
Our tete a tete daffodils have been out since the third week of January; snowdrops now profuse especially in wooded areas of the garden. One brave crocus has just appeared in a sheltered position underneath a south facing hedge. Definitely a little more warmth in the sun - if you can find a sheltered spot.
Veteran of winter of 62/63
By Scapa Flow, Orkney
Bertwhistle
17 February 2016 08:57:42

Originally Posted by: Skreever 

Our tete a tete daffodils have been out since the third week of January; snowdrops now profuse especially in wooded areas of the garden. One brave crocus has just appeared in a sheltered position underneath a south facing hedge. Definitely a little more warmth in the sun - if you can find a sheltered spot.

I'm impressed as the sun must still be at a low angle. Does your maritime location keep the worst of the frosts away, Skreever?

Bertie, Itchen Valley.