Bertwhistle
09 January 2016 20:21:30

Wondered if we could inject a bit of new life into this thread, now that we're only weeks from the TRUE growing season, and the weather is at least going to give the gardens a chance to do their thing.

I for one was pleased to see several snowdrops bursting white this morning- this is the first year the daffs have beaten them to it!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
AIMSIR
09 January 2016 20:36:29

It has been very mild Bert,with hardly any frost,
I have a small pond in my garden that would normally have had a few ice days by now.
I think it might take a while,even with cold weather for this to happen soon as the ground temps are a few degrees above normal.

Bertwhistle
10 January 2016 08:41:13

Originally Posted by: AIMSIR 

It has been very mild Bert,with hardly any frost,
I have a small pond in my garden that would normally have had a few ice days by now.
I think it might take a while,even with cold weather for this to happen soon as the ground temps are a few degrees above normal.

Same for us Aimsir- my wife has not once had to put the cover over her fish this year. It does mean the sparrows can have a drink still.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
ARTzeman
10 January 2016 10:19:58

Nice to see Grape Hyacinth and violet in flower. Even a buttercup.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Bertwhistle
10 January 2016 13:28:27

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 

We're still waiting for the violets, Art, but the primroses, cowslips and even one oxlip have made it out.

There are new shoots on some of our thyme plants too.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Lumi-Ukko
10 January 2016 21:56:16

Notice we have two threads now for Gardening...Let's hope we continue with this one for onwards in 2016.

And I hope no-one minds me posting my garden related items in here, even if my climate is akin to that of Southwestern Portugal.

Yesterday I prepared a second bed (image below) as part of my renewed push in the garden. Due to last summer's water shortages, I neglected to plant anything and left my beds fallow for the most part. this meant the ground was rock hard and took some fair amending t get back into chape; I hand turn it down to two feet (usually because of Squash plants in summer).

The only things I maintained last year were were my perennial fruits, but since we've had more rain this winter so far than the whole of last winter, I've decided bite the bullet this year and grow some winter veg and early spring crops, with a view to planting summer veg in March.

One bed, not pictured has root vegetables in it, namely Swiss Chard, Beets, Turnip, Carrots, Parsnips, and radish.  The bed below will be home to peas, carrots, radish, and some mixed salad greens (mustard, Rocket).  I have butter lettuce growing all over my lawn right now as I tend to just let some lettuce bolt in summer and seeds to scatter.

The other beds (three remaining), need some work yet, and next weekend will likely get two more done as it is a long holiday weekend, and the city are giving away 6 burlap sacks of compost to each resident.

As you can see in the above image, yellow strawberries (an Alpine variety) are doing well over there to the left with some flowers. Over to the right I have a few key limes which I never picked and have turned yellow. They are still edible like this and a bit sweeter than a lime (closer to a lemon). On the bottom right is a ragged looking pineapple but it is actually showing renewed vigour and sending out two new centres which I hope will give me further pineapples this year.  The one from this summer was simply the best pineapple I have ever tasted.

I'll hopefully share more pictures as I go along.

Bertwhistle
10 January 2016 22:05:48

Lovely garden shot Lumi; it's as if winter never came there!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Lumi-Ukko
10 January 2016 22:25:33

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Lovely garden shot Lumi; it's as if winter never came there!

There's definitely a feel of winter to the garden for sure, though only relative to how summer looks here.   Have to go plant the pea seeds now but will try and get a couple more shots around the garden if I can tidy up some of the outstanding work going on.

ARTzeman
11 January 2016 08:36:58

Herbs have done well for time of year .Growing on slowly so always had some to pick this winter. Garlic was taken out of fridge and then planted in a trough and placed in growing room. Had to be taken out into the open air as growing room was to warm for them . The shoots/leaves are about six inches in height.. Lemon trees have liked being in the growing room. Hope the little cold spell has no affect on them though they have always been outside...

Others just get wet.
Roger Parsons
11 January 2016 09:04:51

The snowdrops are looking good now. It's the grass that I keep worrying about! I topped it on a dry day last month but you would hardly know now. The soil is so saturated I don't like to walk on it and compact it. To add insult to injury, moles are going beserk.

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Bertwhistle
11 January 2016 18:21:11

What I feared when the daffs locally started shining in November: they're all ready for deadheading now, bar a few!

Plenty still to look forward to though. Next door's camellia is in full spate. Another week and pink petals will be pouring over the fence.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Roger Parsons
11 January 2016 19:19:12

Herbs have done well for time of year. Growing on slowly so always had some to pick this winter. Garlic was taken out of fridge and then planted in a trough and placed in growing room. Had to be taken out into the open air as growing room was to warm for them. The shoots/leaves are about six inches in height.. Lemon trees have liked being in the growing room. Hope the little cold spell has no affect on them though they have always been outside...

Thanks for the reminder, ARTzm.

We brought our lemon tree in today - it has been living happily in the greenhouse up to now.

I noticed today our aconites are flowering well.

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
12 January 2016 15:25:30

Anemone and cherry laurel in flower

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Bertwhistle
12 January 2016 16:57:33

Originally Posted by: DEW 

Anemone and cherry laurel in flower

We've got some little wood anemones Dave; are yours the colourful cultivated type?

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Skreever
13 January 2016 09:53:09
First tete a tete daffodils coming out now!
Veteran of winter of 62/63
By Scapa Flow, Orkney
Bertwhistle
16 January 2016 16:39:04

It's all A-A-Face. The traditional order, since I was a child, was: snowdrops-crocuses-daffodils.

This year it's been daffodil-crocus-snowdrop! What a queer year. Our first snowdrops are showing white at last.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Larry Seinfeld
16 January 2016 17:40:11
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
16 January 2016 22:26:32

Nice to see so many gardeners but we have two gardening threads and the other one is stickied so it might be a good idea if a mod could merge both threads to prevent duplication and confusion.

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
ARTzeman
16 January 2016 23:23:39

If we do not get a proper winter then I shall have to get my raspberry canes sorted and replanted into new container. Garlic is growing well.   

Others just get wet.
Bertwhistle
17 January 2016 15:15:33

Originally Posted by: Caz 

Nice to see so many gardeners but we have two gardening threads and the other one is stickied so it might be a good idea if a mod could merge both threads to prevent duplication and confusion.

Yeah, sorry Caz; it went a bit quiet on the other one & I obviously didn't know the protocols/ mechanics for doing what Dougie does daily, for example, with the cc thread.

Glad the family's rallying a bit.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.