KevBrads1
02 January 2016 11:04:53
What December 2015 was the meteorological equivalent of what Bob Beamon did at Mexico in 1968.

Maybe we should nickname December 2015, Bob Beamon, it certainly did a Bob Beamon!

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Global Warming
02 January 2016 11:14:06

A few additional stats on 2015

Lowest CET mean of the year: -0.3C on 2 Feb. This was the only negative CET mean in 2015.

There were two reasonably cool spells early in the year:

CET mean from 17 to 24 Jan was just 1.2C. The highest mean in that period was 2.5C

CET mean from 2 to 7 Feb was just 1.3C. The highest mean in that period was 2.3C

Highest CET mean of the year was 24.6C on 1 July.

Only two other days went over 20C and they were 30 June with 20.2C and 22 August with 20.1C

In November and December a total of 33 days had a CET mean of more than 10C. Only 4 days had a CET mean of less than 5C (21 - 24 Nov).

Global Warming
02 January 2016 11:30:16

Originally Posted by: Devonian 

Not sure if this has been discussed but how does this December compare in a standard deviation kind of way to other record months? Or, I think I'm asking, how record is it?

I guess another way of looking at it is that a tm airstream persisted for much of the month. A tm airstream perhaps a degree warmer than we might expect? Or brought to us more directly from the far SW than is usual? We didn't smash maxima much we smashed persistence of airmass?

It's interesting reading other observation as that few other months could do this since we'd expect less cloud, the odd clear night, some cold night, in other months. I guess we might, next EN, see a November the same, one that averaged 11C now seem possible, or October and 14C plus. But, not later winter or spring months I guess.

I have had a look back to see if I can find other instances where the existing CET record for a month was broken by more than 1C. I have only considered dates after there was already at least 100 years in the data series (i.e. 1760 onwards). I found one:

May 1833 saw a CET of 15.1C. The previous record was 13.8C set in 1758 and 1788. So an increase of 1.3C on the existing record.

Not quite as much of an increase in the record as December 2015 but close. At that point there were almost 200 data points in the series. In December 2015 there were over 350 data points and the movement in the record was greater. So December 2015 is unprecedented and there seems to be only one other instance in the whole of the CET data set that comes close.

Incidentally that May CET figure of 15.1C from 1833 still stands. Since then the highest May CET was 13.9C in 1848. In recent times the warmest May was 13.6C 1992 and 13.4C in 2008. There has never been a May CET in the 14's at all. So that 15.1C figure in 1833 was truly exceptional and does merit being up there with the December 2015 figure I think.

ARTzeman
02 January 2016 12:33:57

Thanks for the charts and figures along with running the Watch....  Must look at December properly later today. 

Well done to Lanky for being " Top Man" ......     

Nice to see new names.......

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Hungry Tiger
02 January 2016 16:54:35

Originally Posted by: Gavin P 

And what to say about December 2015 other than....  

Exactly - I am tempted to suggest that this December has been on a par with one of the most remarkable weather events of the past 100 years or so like the summer of 1976 and the winter of 1963.

I have never known a month like this December to break records like this one did.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Hungry Tiger
02 January 2016 16:55:32

I'll keep this stickied for at least another week so we can see all these amazing records. Make sure everyone has had time to read and digest this.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.

springsunshine
02 January 2016 17:27:59

Originally Posted by: Hungry Tiger 

Exactly - I am tempted to suggest that this December has been on a par with one of the most remarkable weather events of the past 100 years or so like the summer of 1976 and the winter of 1963.

I have never known a month like this December to break records like this one did.

In all probability the events above are more like 1 in 1000 year events and its what makes the british climate so special and exciting you just never know what is going to happen unlike many places around the globe.

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
02 January 2016 22:09:41

I'll keep this stickied for at least another week so we can see all these amazing records. Make sure everyone has had time to read and digest this.

Would it be possible to have an archive of the CET competitions? 

I'd find it useful to look back on these threads as I often wonder how previous months performed, especially the ones that throw up record breakers like December did and I'd also like to see how I performed in previous months.  Apart from that, some of our members take the time and effort to post some very useful stats.  So it would be nice if we could keep them all because it's a shame when these threads drop off the radar and disappear for ever and I'm sure other members would agree.

Thanks in advance and anticipation! 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Hungry Tiger
03 January 2016 12:19:34

Originally Posted by: Caz 

Would it be possible to have an archive of the CET competitions? 

I'd find it useful to look back on these threads as I often wonder how previous months performed, especially the ones that throw up record breakers like December did and I'd also like to see how I performed in previous months.  Apart from that, some of our members take the time and effort to post some very useful stats.  So it would be nice if we could keep them all because it's a shame when these threads drop off the radar and disappear for ever and I'm sure other members would agree.

Thanks in advance and anticipation! 

I'll pas this on to the admin team :-)

I am sure we can work out something. There is some sort of archive system - but its a bit complex.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
03 January 2016 19:45:50

I'll pas this on to the admin team :-)

I am sure we can work out something. There is some sort of archive system - but its a bit complex.

Thanks.    I think it's worth a try.

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
lanky
03 January 2016 21:54:35

I was intrigued as to whether the exceptionally mild December could have beaten in terms of the anomaly if any 30 day period was included rather than just the days spanning a calendar month.

In order to find out the daily CET records are required to be analysed rather than the monthly averages.

Fortunately daily CET means exist from 1772 up to the current day and so a sample of 244 years (about 89000 days) is available for analysis rather than the 357 years of monthly data

It turns out that December 2015 was SO exceptional that no 30 period chosen can beat the monthly recods set last week

My list of results is shown below for both hot and cold records covering every 30 day period on the file

The cold records are far more extreme than the hot records mostly reflecting the occasional very severe winters we get with a blocking northern high

(for those interested the daily CET data was "detrended" by gradually increasing the temperature of older data to reflect the overall gradual warming in the last 250 years. This detrending totalled just under 1C applied across the whole data incrementally. Anomalies were calculated based on the average temperature for that day in the year)

I also had a go at calculating the "return period" for such an exceptional month using statistical analysis. Because the data is highly skewed towards colder temperatures at the extreme ends it is not easy. To get a 30 day anomaly that fits exactly into 1 calendar month is itself a 1 in 30 chance and to allow for this and the relative rarity of extreme warm periods I got  a return period of 1850 years - although I'm not convinced about this

Martin
Richmond, Surrey
Devonian
03 January 2016 22:19:03

Originally Posted by: lanky 

I was intrigued as to whether the exceptionally mild December could have beaten in terms of the anomaly if any 30 day period was included rather than just the days spanning a calendar month.

In order to find out the daily CET records are required to be analysed rather than the monthly averages.

Fortunately daily CET means exist from 1772 up to the current day and so a sample of 244 years (about 89000 days) is available for analysis rather than the 357 years of monthly data

It turns out that December 2015 was SO exceptional that no 30 period chosen can beat the monthly recods set last week

My list of results is shown below for both hot and cold records covering every 30 day period on the file

The cold records are far more extreme than the hot records mostly reflecting the occasional very severe winters we get with a blocking northern high

(for those interested the daily CET data was "detrended" by gradually increasing the temperature of older data to reflect the overall gradual warming in the last 250 years. This detrending totalled just under 1C applied across the whole data incrementally. Anomalies were calculated based on the average temperature for that day in the year)

I also had a go at calculating the "return period" for such an exceptional month using statistical analysis. Because the data is highly skewed towards colder temperatures at the extreme ends it is not easy. To get a 30 day anomaly that fits exactly into 1 calendar month is itself a 1 in 30 chance and to allow for this and the relative rarity of extreme warm periods I got  a return period of 1850 years - although I'm not convinced about this

Why detrend the data? Or, in what way does the undetrended data result differ I guess I'm asking?

I see Tamino has done a similar analysis, though just limited to calendar months - unsurprisingly, the same result.

Interesting 74/5 is in there - very similar by my recollection, if less tm dominated in December. But a little surprising that a 30 day spell in 76 didn't beat it - many days must have had maxima well past 5C above normal, cooler nights maybe. Indeed, I just wonder how high the minima anomaly for December was, I bet it's here somewhere....

"When it takes nearly 900,000 votes to elect one party’s MP, and just 26,000 for another, you know something is deeply wrong."

The electoral reform society, 14,12,19
wallaw
04 January 2016 08:34:45

Many thanks for all your efforts throughout the year. Despite my dismal effort this year I love doing this and will continue to do so for as long as you are running the comp.

Happy new year

Ian

Stockton-on-Tees

lanky
04 January 2016 09:43:52

Originally Posted by: Devonian 

Why detrend the data? Or, in what way does the undetrended data result differ I guess I'm asking?

I see Tamino has done a similar analysis, though just limited to calendar months - unsurprisingly, the same result.

Interesting 74/5 is in there - very similar by my recollection, if less tm dominated in December. But a little surprising that a 30 day spell in 76 didn't beat it - many days must have had maxima well past 5C above normal, cooler nights maybe. Indeed, I just wonder how high the minima anomaly for December was, I bet it's here somewhere....

Dev:

I Just detrended to get to a "level playing field". The early data was at the end of the LIA so getting a 30C day then was more impressive than today and similarly colder winters in the 18th and 19th century were more prevalent. The adjustment on the oldest data was about +0.95C gradually reducing to zero on current data.

The average adjustment was therefore about 0.48C so without this detrending but still using date averages across the whole file, you would subtract about 0.5C from the oldest anomalies (e.g. 1779) and add 0.5C to the newest (e.g 2015).  I don't think this is such a fair comparison and would show December 2015 as even more remarkable

As for summer 1976, I just had a look and the main blast of the real hot weather was 23/06 up to 09/07 so a lot less than 30 days. The remaining days up to the end of July were more moderate and this reduced the overall average somewhat

Martin
Richmond, Surrey
Saint Snow
04 January 2016 09:57:14

Many thanks for all the work you put into this, GW - we all really appreciate it.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Twister
04 January 2016 12:10:46
Brilliant competition - thanks GW for your work on this!

And nice to creep up 8 places into the top 40 for the first time since March. Yes, my performance has been that bad...

Thunder 2016: 12 (Apr 3,13; May 21; Jun 8,11,17,22,23,25, Jul 2,12, Aug 26)
Winter 2015/6: Snowfalls: 10 | Snowcover: 2 (Jan 17 (0.5cm)) | Air frosts: 39
Winter 2016/7: Snowfalls: 4 (Jan 12-3, Feb 10-11) | Snowcover: 2 (Jan 13, 2cm, Feb 11, 3-5mm) | Air frosts: 57 (2 in Oct, 10 in Nov, 13 in Dec, 19 in Jan, 6 in Feb, 3 in Mar, 4 in Apr)
"The heavens tell of the glory of God. The skies display his marvellous craftsmanship." (Psalm 19:1)
Sussex snow magnet
04 January 2016 13:00:06

Originally Posted by: lanky 

Excellent post Lanky and just goes to show how exteme December was, but also highlights how few 30 day periods in recent times have been exteme regards anomoly.

A different question for you or Gw how far back or forth from december do you have to go to find a higher 30 period in actual cet as opposed to an annomaly difference.