springsunshine
01 January 2015 10:53:33

Here came in at 12.6c for 2014

Global Warming
01 January 2015 11:49:24

Final charts for 2014. An average end to the year although December itself had some large swings in temperature from very warm to very cold (see December CET thread).

In the end the 2014 CET finished at 10.95C calculated using daily figures. This is a new record beating the 10.86C from 2006.

We just missed out on 11C but I doubt it will be long before we see a year with 11C.

As far as the competition is concerned, Norseman is declared the winner. He predicted exactly 11C which was the closest prediction to the actual figure.

Norseman
01 January 2015 14:48:43
Thanks GW for all your efforts with the competitions. It keeps the weather interest going even when things are a bit dull [like today].
ARTzeman
01 January 2015 16:02:06

Fine charts indeed.. Thank you for posting them.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Stormchaser
01 January 2015 18:36:07

Cheers as always GW, here's to a another year of fascinating statistics 

My local stats tell a similar story - here's the averages for this year (*C) compared with the LTA (1981-2010) and previous record holders:

Max T: 15.45, 1.41 above the LTA and beating 14.60 set in 2011.

Min T: 7.53, 1.40 above the LTA and beating 7.261 set in 2008.           A world apart from 2010 which had an average of just 5.794.

Overall Mean: 11.40, 1.31*C above the LTA and beating 11.11 set in 2011 (yes, that onslaught of 11's really happened).

Away from the temperatures, the rainfall and sunshine stats are about as impressive:

Total Rain: 1109.1 mm, beating 1027.1 mm set in 2008.    Largely down to a very wet Jan-Feb with a lot of fluctuation in anomalies Mar-Dec.

Total Sun: 1970.9 hours, beating 1831.6 hours set in 2011.

So there you have it - the warmest, sunniest and wettest year I've recorded!

The weather patterns that led to this achievement can be summed up as follows:

A very mobile westerly regime was frequent in Jan, Feb, Nov and Dec, keeping temps up by night in particular while bringing a lot of spells of rain Jan-Feb and Nov with decent cloud breaks in between (thanks to the drier, descending air that tends to cut in behind Atlantic low pressure systems).

By contrast April through to October often saw slow moving weather patterns with high pressure having a large say in our weather, providing a wealth of days with lots of sunshine and warm daytime temperatures (August being a notable exception). Some of these months saw numerous slow moving systems bringing prolonged rainfall, and these were wetter than average, the rest being drier than average. Overall the April-October period was wetter than average despite September being very dry indeed.

The April-July and September-October periods were up there with some of the best I have known. Jan-Feb was... wild and to be honest I did get a bit of a kick out of the strong wind events and some of the floods I witnessed. The rest of the year was generally a bit rubbish   

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Dougie
02 January 2015 00:45:15

Congratulations to Norseman for winning this particular competition, a great effort indeed.

Ha'way the lads
RobSnowman
02 January 2015 11:08:46

Originally Posted by: Stormchaser 

So there you have it - the warmest, sunniest and wettest year I've recorded!

The weather patterns that led to this achievement can be summed up as follows:

Great run down SC, what a year. Although the nice spell in summer and autumn was welcome, the miserable winter weather was disappointing, except for the sunny, frosty conditions of the last week.

I built this snowman of myself.
Global Warming
10 January 2015 14:49:56

Here are the final stats from the Met Office for 2014. Warmest on record for all regions except Northern Ireland

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/2014/annual

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/2014/annual/regional-values

ARTzeman
10 January 2015 17:51:52

What a lot of print off's found on there for all the highs and lows along with stats.. Got a books worth there...

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet