KevBrads1
04 January 2015 08:39:38

It's been a strange feeling winter. It doesn't feel like it has been wintry even though I have seen more frosts than last winter thus far and the field behind me was snow covered from Boxing Day night to New Year's Eve, the longest period such period since December 2010

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
bruced
04 January 2015 11:40:25

Please could someone direct me to a solar monitoring website?  There was an excellent solar cycle thread in the now non-existent climate forum on TWO and I don't know if there is a thread any more.

I'm thinking that solar activity might still be high as we are just past the peak of this current cycle, and this might be contributing to our relatively mild winter (although it is colder than last year's mild fest).

Thank you

David

Northallerton

David
KevBrads1
04 January 2015 12:48:56

Originally Posted by: some faraway beach 

I wonder whether people felt the same in 1939-40, 1981-2 and 1990-1? They all occurred just after the peak of a solar cycle.

1947 was just three months before the peak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_solar_cycles

I do know what you mean though. There's a fair list of "Hale" winters to choose from too. Just thought I'd throw those examples out there.

The 5 great winters of the 20th century (1916-17, 1928-29, 1939-40, 1962-63, 1978-79) , 3 of them occurred near a solar maxima.

I don't know what has happened to me recently but my scepticism has deepened. People are blaming solar activity for this winter not delivering so far. Solar activity is lower than a number of recent peaks. Low solar activity alone doesn't explain the great winters above.

We are told sudden stratospheric warming events increases the chance of northerly blocking and cold episodes.

I go along with that but it doesn't explain a number of cold outbreaks. Where was the SSW that resulted in late Nov-Dec 2010? The coldest part of winter 1976-77 occurred before the SSW. 

I would say  that a SSW gives you a chance of breaking out of a weather pattern but if you are in a cold pattern and you want to maintain it, would you want a SSW to occur?

Then there is OPI and SAI. It seems that things are not going according to plan here. The trouble seems to be the low pressure anomaly over the Barents-Kara region. 

NAO, AO, OPI, SAI, PDO, AMO, SSW, MWW, ENSO.....it's an alphabet soup of complexities.

Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
ARTzeman
04 January 2015 12:53:54

Originally Posted by: bruced 

Please could someone direct me to a solar monitoring website?  There was an excellent solar cycle thread in the now non-existent climate forum on TWO and I don't know if there is a thread any more.

I'm thinking that solar activity might still be high as we are just past the peak of this current cycle, and this might be contributing to our relatively mild winter (although it is colder than last year's mild fest).

Thank you

David

Northallerton

Current Solar Data: NOAA data 

Maybe handy.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
ARTzeman
04 January 2015 14:52:35

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 

Current Solar Data: NOAA data 

Maybe handy.

Or 

SpaceWeather.com

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
04 January 2015 16:10:36

Solarham.net

Solarmonitor.org

tesilebeder.ru

All have solar charts.

Others just get wet.
Twister
04 January 2015 16:38:45

A sub 2C day today around here - could be one of the coldest maxima of the year! 

Thunder 2016: 12 (Apr 3,13; May 21; Jun 8,11,17,22,23,25, Jul 2,12, Aug 26)
Winter 2015/6: Snowfalls: 10 | Snowcover: 2 (Jan 17 (0.5cm)) | Air frosts: 39
Winter 2016/7: Snowfalls: 4 (Jan 12-3, Feb 10-11) | Snowcover: 2 (Jan 13, 2cm, Feb 11, 3-5mm) | Air frosts: 57 (2 in Oct, 10 in Nov, 13 in Dec, 19 in Jan, 6 in Feb, 3 in Mar, 4 in Apr)
"The heavens tell of the glory of God. The skies display his marvellous craftsmanship." (Psalm 19:1)
Jonesy
05 January 2015 11:48:47

Does anyone remember the year when Winter was poor for snow & cold but then as soon as early spring arrived we got a fair bit of snow in the South?

What odds on that happening again this year 

Medway Towns (Kent)
The Weather will do what it wants, when it wants, no matter what data is thrown at it !
Stormchaser
05 January 2015 17:32:28

Originally Posted by: Jonesy 

Does anyone remember the year when Winter was poor for snow & cold but then as soon as early spring arrived we got a fair bit of snow in the South?

What odds on that happening again this year 

Was that 2008 when we got a heavy fall in Easter?

I am actually becoming quite worried that the coldest patterns will be developing later in February and persisting through March this year, similar to 2013.

March 2013 was interesting as a case study but delivered nothing more than a bit of wet snow that melted on contact with the ground. The impact on SSTs then made warm conditions here in the far south rather restricted until late June that year. I also think they held back July 2013 a bit and prevented it from being close to 2006 in terms of the heat... admittedly a silver lining for those who don't fare well in such conditions.

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
bruced
05 January 2015 22:58:32

Originally Posted by: Stormchaser 

I am actually becoming quite worried that the coldest patterns will be developing later in February and persisting through March this year, similar to 2013.

March 2013 was interesting as a case study but delivered nothing more than a bit of wet snow that melted on contact with the ground. The impact on SSTs then made warm conditions here in the far south rather restricted until late June that year. I also think they held back July 2013 a bit and prevented it from being close to 2006 in terms of the heat... admittedly a silver lining for those who don't fare well in such conditions.

If the cold comes towards the end of Feb and persist through March then, IMO, all well and good.  If nothing else, it will potentially be the first period (of more than a few days) of colder than average conditions since August (or possibly earlier). If the cold does come, it might hopefully be the beginning of a cooler few months/year, although I'm probably stretching my imagination a bit too much here!!

David

Northallerton

David
Jonesy
06 January 2015 09:17:22

Originally Posted by: Stormchaser 

I think your right stormchaser and from memory it was a Sunday night, I remember sitting in my lounge and noticing something out the window, it took a good minute or so to sink in that it was actually snowing, I can't remember the actual 2007/2008 Winter though so not sure if the April (Sring) snowfall was all we had??

Medway Towns (Kent)
The Weather will do what it wants, when it wants, no matter what data is thrown at it !
Saint Snow
06 January 2015 09:27:32

With the charts out to mid-Jan showing nothing cold & snowy, that's half of winter gone with no decent cold spell*

Another winter turning into a dud?

* the post-Xmas spell here gave a snowfall that was half-melted by drizzle/rain afterwards, followed by a few frosts - distinctly underwhelming

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
bradders
06 January 2015 16:38:39

Originally Posted by: Jonesy 

I think your right stormchaser and from memory it was a Sunday night, I remember sitting in my lounge and noticing something out the window, it took a good minute or so to sink in that it was actually snowing, I can't remember the actual 2007/2008 Winter though so not sure if the April (Sring) snowfall was all we had??

We had an inch of snow on Easter Sunday night, 23rd  March 2008.

Another overnight snowfall of an inch on 6/7th April, a Sunday night again.

We also had some snow showers on the evening of 1st February. The winter overall was fairly mild here.

Eric. Cheadle Hulme, Stockport.
Medlock Vale Weather
06 January 2015 19:09:57

Originally Posted by: bradders 

We had an inch of snow on Easter Sunday night, 23rd  March 2008.

Another overnight snowfall of an inch on 6/7th April, a Sunday night again.

We also had some snow showers on the evening of 1st February. The winter overall was fairly mild here.

Had about 4 inches of snow here that night, was quite unexpected as it wasn't forecasted for more than a cm or so. We've had a few snowy March's over the past 10 years or so, most notably 2006, 2008, 2013. Can we get another one? I wouldn't bet against it. It would seem early Spring is more favourable to get cold to our shores as the Atlantic traditionally settles down. 

Alan in Medlock Valley - Oldham's frost hollow. 103 metres above sea level.
What is a frost hollow? http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wxfacts/Frost-hollow.htm 
Whether Idle
06 January 2015 19:30:41

Originally Posted by: Medlock Vale Weather 

Had about 4 inches of snow here that night, was quite unexpected as it wasn't forecasted for more than a cm or so. We've had a few snowy March's over the past 10 years or so, most notably 2006, 2008, 2013. Can we get another one? I wouldn't bet against it. It would seem early Spring is more favourable to get cold to our shores as the Atlantic traditionally settles down. 

March has long been snowier than December for many areas and I think that trend has intensified over a long term average of 30 years.

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
sparky71a
13 January 2015 18:17:21

Just had Thunder Snow with superb fork lighting over Nunthorpe Middlesbrough! One very happy weather geek!

KevBrads1
19 January 2015 19:04:01
Manchester Winter Index is at 40 currently just past the halfway.

seringador
20 January 2015 23:47:25
Kevin, by reading your posts with your index is a good symptom...correct?
Extremes
Max Temp: 40.2ºC (03.08.2018)
Min Temp: -1.1ºC ( 03.01.2021)
Porto 86m and Campeã 820m (Marão 1414m)
@planoclima
KevBrads1
22 January 2015 08:30:21

Originally Posted by: seringador 

Kevin, by reading your posts with your index is a good symptom...correct?

Sorry, I don't follow what you mean by a good symptom?

seringador
22 January 2015 09:52:50
Is't a good sign that index rise?
Extremes
Max Temp: 40.2ºC (03.08.2018)
Min Temp: -1.1ºC ( 03.01.2021)
Porto 86m and Campeã 820m (Marão 1414m)
@planoclima