Global Warming
09 November 2014 09:09:55

CET currently at 9.04C by my calculations.

A rather cool day today but then it gradually turns very warm during this coming week as well as very wet. During week two temperatures ease down towards a mean of 7C but that is still above average as the long run mean dips considerably over the next few days (for example the 71-00 mean for 9 Nov is 8.3C but by the 17th this is down to just 6.0C).

By the 22nd the CET should still be at 8.65C even with something of a cool down. This is 1.3C above the long run mean. So another month more than 1C above the long run means looks very possible unless it turns very cold in the final week of the month.

ARTzeman
09 November 2014 11:48:08

Met Office Hadley     9.1c.     Anomaly       1.1c.  Provisional to  8th.

Metcheck                 8.66c.   Anomaly       1.74c.

N-W                        9.18c.   Anomaly       2.29c.

Mount  Sorrel           8.69c.   Anomaly       1.79c.

My    Mean               9.0c.    Anomaly        2.6c.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Frost Hollow
10 November 2014 08:33:00

Here

4.9c

Mean min 1.6

Mean max 8.1

ARTzeman
10 November 2014 12:14:30

Met Office Hadley     8.9c.      Anomaly     1.0c. Provisional to 9th.

Metcheck                 8.52c.     Anomaly     1.60c.

N-W                        9.04c.     Anomaly     2.15c.

Mount  Sorrel           8.53c.     Anomaly    1.63c.

My  Mean                 8.8c.       Anomaly    2.4c. 

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
11 November 2014 11:22:55

Met Office Hadley    8.8c.     Anomaly     0.9c. Provisional to 10th.

Metcheck                8.66c.   Anomaly     1.7c.

N-W                       9.08c.   Anomaly     2.19c.

Mount  Sorrel          8.65c.   Anomaly     1.75c.

My  Mean                8.9c.    Anomaly      2.5c.

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
12 November 2014 11:32:24

Met Office Hadley       8.9c       Anomaly    1.0c.    Provisional to 11th.

Metcheck                   8.84c.    Anomaly    1.92c.

N- W                         9.28c.    Anomaly     2.38c.

Mount Sorrel              8.95c.    Anomaly     1.95c.

My  Mean                   9.1c.      Anomaly     2.7c.

Others just get wet.
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
12 November 2014 15:04:03

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 

Met Office Hadley       8.9c       Anomaly    1.0c.    Provisional to 11th.

Metcheck                   8.84c.    Anomaly    1.92c.

N- W                         9.28c.    Anomaly     2.38c.

Mount Sorrel              8.95c.    Anomaly     1.95c.

My  Mean                   9.1c.      Anomaly     2.7c.

all the others seem to have jumped by at least 0.2C (Mt Sorrel by 0.3C) but Met Office only by 0.1. Maybe just falling back in line with where it should be.

Should continue to ease upwards each day until Saturday.

Brockley, South East London 30m asl
ARTzeman
12 November 2014 15:24:43

Average between the 5 readings is  8.99c. Disregarding the end number 4.

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
13 November 2014 12:41:17

Todays Update

Met Office Hadley     9.1c.     Anomaly     1.3c.    Provisional  to  12th.

Metcheck                 8.90c.   Anomaly     1.97c.

N-W                        9.4c      Anomaly     2.51c.

Mount  Sorrel          8.94c.    Anomaly     2.04c.

My   Mean               9.1c.     Anomaly      2.07c.

Others just get wet.
Frost Hollow
13 November 2014 15:49:06

Here

4.7c

Mean min 1.3c

Mean max 8.1c

ARTzeman
14 November 2014 12:06:57

Met Office Hadley     9.2c.      Anomaly     1.5c.     Provisional to 13th.

Metcheck                 9.08c.    Anomaly     2.16c.

N-W                        9.57c.    Anomaly     2.68c.

Mount Sorrel            9.08c.    Anomaly     2.18c.

My Mean                  9.3c.     Anomaly     2.9c.

Others just get wet.
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
14 November 2014 16:01:25
Anomaly needed for rest of year to beat the annual record now down to +0.44C.
Brockley, South East London 30m asl
Global Warming
14 November 2014 21:06:50

The latest output suggests we could see a second consecutive month with a CET anomaly of 2C or more. Indeed there is currently a good chance that November 2014 will be in the top 10 warmest Novembers of all time. This in turn means we are now likely to see the warmest annual CET on record by a very wide margin unless it turns very cold in December (see the annual CET thread for the latest update).

Today was remarkably warm with a CET anomaly of +5.6C. Looking at the next two weeks it will not be quite as warm as today but nevertheless mean temperatures are likely to be consistently about 2C above the norm.

Currently I expect the November CET to be at 8.83C by the 28th. A final CET above 9C is now looking increasingly possible.

The 12z GFS parallel op run produces some very high temperatures for late November which would push the CET above 9C. However the op run is a bit of an outlier. It is also worth noting that at present both the AO and NAO indices are negative. The current forecast suggests both indices could go very positive later this month. That would be consistent with seeing some potentially very warm weather indeed. Of course these indices are directly linked to the forecast charts from the models so one would expect them to be saying the same thing. Should this verify it would make it fairly unlikely that we would see much in the way of cold weather in the first half of December.

As I said in the winter outlook thread a few days ago I am not really expecting any cold weather this side of Christmas. However, I am equally not expecting a very mild winter overall like last year. The set up this year is very different to last year and I would be surprised if we do not see several outbreaks of cold weather between January and March.

If the November CET does finish near 9C this would mean that Gusty could take over the lead in the annual CET competition ahead of Darren S at the end of the month. It would also mean a very tight finish to the year with everything hanging on the December figure. Should be a very exciting finish to the competition this year.

Warmest November CET's on record (9C or more)

1994 10.1C
2011 9.6C
1818 9.5C
1938 9.4C
1943 9.3C
1730 9.2C
1817 9.1C

Global Warming
14 November 2014 21:13:58

It now looks like this Autumn will see the 3rd warmest CET on record and only the 3rd time the Autumn CET has come in above 12C.

Warmest Autumns on record

2006 12.63C
2011 12.43C
2014 12.13C (prov.)

Stormchaser
14 November 2014 23:54:32

I daresay the 18z GFS op run would produce a markedly lower CET return than the 12z op did, as would the 18z GFSP op run compared tot he 12z GFSP op run.

That's a reflection of big impacts on temperature within narrow margins - with blocking high pressure looking likely to be close to the east of the UK, the temperatures will be strongly affected by just how close the low pressure to the west is - close enough to bring a maritime fetch from SW or SSW of the UK and we're in a very mild regime, but far enough away to allow a continental flow and we're in a chilly regime with frosty nights possible.

I don't see enough evidence to call it either way as of tonight... sitting on the fence still 

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Hungry Tiger
15 November 2014 11:44:59

Amazing - but its saving on the heating nicely.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

ARTzeman
15 November 2014 11:50:48

Met Office Hadley        9.4c.    Anomaly     1.8c. Provisional to 14th.

Metcheck                    9.0c.    Anomaly     2.08c.

N-W                           9.67c.  Anomaly     2.78c.

Mount Sorrel               8.93c.  Anomaly     2.03c.

My Mean                     9.4c.   Anomaly     3.0c.

Others just get wet.
Global Warming
15 November 2014 14:21:02

There have been four years in recent times where the Autumn CET has been more than 0.5C above the 1971-2000 mean in each of the three months. These years are 1978, 2006, 2009 and 2011. It is now a dead cert that 2014 will join this list. So what have the following winters brought in those previous years.

Well it is interesting because in two of the years the winter went on to be very mild (2006 and 2011) whereas in the other two years the following winter was very cold (1978 and 2009). So which way will it swing this year? Who knows but I have been taking a look out of interest to see if we can deduce any trends as regards those earlier years.

I start by considering the daily CET figures for October and November to see whether 2014 shows any pattern with those earlier years. The charts are shown below. 1978 seems the least best fit with 2006 probably the best fit. If we just look at November then 2006, 2009 and 2011 are all quite similar to this year. One very noticeable point is that after a warm end to October there was a sharp (albeit temporary) dip in temperatures in early November. We saw exactly the same thing this year.

So lets compare some key variables for the four years mentioned above. They are summarised in the table below. I have highlighted in yellow those variables that show a high degree of similarity with 2014.

I immediately discard 1978 on the grounds that the NAO and AO indices have shown little similarly in October and November to what we have seen this year. As I mentioned in my analysis in the winter thread the other day the ENSO index seems not to be of great importance as we get cold and mild winters at all phases of the index. The only other parameter that is similar to 2014 is the OPI.

2011 also shows a very similar NAO and AO pattern to 1978 in the Autumn period which is very different to this year. The OPI was positive that year and Autumn rainfall was very low. These factors more than offset the negative QBO that year. So 2011 also seems a poor analogue.

That leaves us with 2006 and 2009. Both these years look interesting. The NAO and AO indices for October and November are broadly the same in each year and very similar to how 2014 is shaping up. Both years were wet in October and November although 2006 will almost certainly be much closer to 2014. The Autumn CET was closer to 2014 in 2006 as well although if you just consider October and November the gap narrows considerably.

Both 2006 and 2009 saw very low sunspot numbers due to the solar minimum. We have greater activity this year but that does not preclude cold weather (again see my post in the winter thread). 1978 is a good example of this. As noted above I don't give much weight to the ENSO as a predictor. The main differences between 2006 and 2009 are in the first two columns of the table.

The OPI was heavily negative in 2009 but positive in 2006. This year the OPI is heavily negative below -2. What you can see from the table below is that in the four years under review the OPI was an excellent predictor of the winter AO. If this trend holds then we can expect a very negative AO this winter. The QBO was also negative in 2009 but slightly positive in 2006.

So my takeaway on this is that 2009 seems to be the best analogue year when we consider how 2014 is shaping up. I am not saying we will see a winter similar to 2009/10 but there are strong similarities with this year.

I have also looked at the NAO and AO indices for all five years for October to December. What this shows is the 1978 is again a bit of an outlier which again reinforces my discarding above of this year as a good analogue. 2011 is also not a great analogue particularly on the AO index. But 2006 and 2009 both show similar patterns up to the end of November as 2014. For the 2014 data I have taken the actual NAO and AO figures to 14 Nov and then used the 10 day GFS predictions.

What we can see is that in the two cold winters (2009 and 1978) the NAO and AO diverge from the other two years as we change month from November to December. 1978 does bounce back briefly but then turns cold again. So for those saying the current model output suggests another very mild winter is almost certain at this point this is way too premature. If we are going to see a pattern change in early December we might start to see significant signs of this in the models in about a week's time.

2006 and 2009 both had fairly neutral AO and NAO figures in the latter part of November. For 2014 the NAO and AO are both currently negative but look like returning to neutral or positive over the coming days. We need to watch for signs of whether they turn negative again as we move into December. If so then maybe we might follow the 2009 path.

There are of course many other possible scenarios when you look more widely at the analogues. One of these is that we see a cold January to March and December is fairly benign. The one thing I am fairly confident of is that we are unlikely to see an average winter. All the signs points to something fairly extreme one way or the other with the probabilities currently favouring a cold winter in my view.

Global Warming
15 November 2014 20:39:40

Another year worth considering is 1984. The Autumn was not quite as warm as this year with September only average, but October and November were warm. We had an easterly QBO and negative OPI. The EWP for Oct / Nov was wet and the AO was negative with a neutral AO.

The NAO and AO figures for Oct / Nov 1984 track 2014 very closely indeed as can be seen in the charts below.

The first period of real cold that winter did not arrive until Boxing Day but continued until 20 Jan. There were further cold outbreaks in both Feb and Mar. This type of scenario is one of the more likely scenarios this winter I think.

Gavin P
15 November 2014 20:59:51

EPIC couple of posts GW! Many thanks. Was a pleasure to read!

Rural West Northants 120m asl
Short, medium and long range weather forecast videos @ https://www.youtube.com/user/GavsWeatherVids