cultman1
  • cultman1
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
16 June 2014 18:16:18
My prediction of not seeing 27 degrees this June may well turn out ot be correct. never known such a dire and cool start to summer in the London area despite a few warm days a weeks ago. Medium term it is looking dire for the east side of the country...
Whether Idle
25 June 2014 19:28:26

Originally Posted by: cultman1 

My prediction of not seeing 27 degrees this June may well turn out ot be correct. never known such a dire and cool start to summer in the London area despite a few warm days a weeks ago. Medium term it is looking dire for the east side of the country...

Check out the official stats in this link.They shows that June has been drier, warmer and sunnier than average, so far and will be overall too. 

http://www.climate-uk.com/graphs/1406.htm

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
Saint Snow
25 June 2014 20:41:50

Originally Posted by: Whether Idle 

Originally Posted by: cultman1 

Check out the official stats in this link.They shows that June has been drier, warmer and sunnier than average, so far and will be overall too. 

http://www.climate-uk.com/graphs/1406.htm

I think it's been a really nice June. Not a repeat of 2006, but much drier, sunnier & warmer than average in NW England. I'd certainly take a repeat in each of July & August.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
richardabdn
26 June 2014 17:25:35

My assessment of summer 2014:  lousy and depressing. Already past the point of no return.

Overcast day in day out just like 2012. Indeed a case of spot the difference with the wind roses.

Without wind from the south west quarter we may as well be situated between Shetland and the Faeroes because that is now the summer weather we now have to endure.

Not much difference in the sunshine totals either. June 2012: 104.3hrs, June 2014: 108.9hrs with very little to be added it would seem. Almost identical to the October average but then the days are only 2/3 as long.

It will be the 6th or 7th dullest June in 130 years (after 2007, 1912, 1966, 2012, 1916 and possibly 1954) which will mean that 3 of the dullest 6 or 7 Junes in 130 years have occurred within the past 8 years. Having to endure what should be a twice in a lifetime horror every 2-3 years is simply intolerable.

In addition the dismal May means it's one of the dullest May/June combinations on record. 1932, 1944, 1965 and 1993 are the only other years where both months have averaged under 5 hours daily sunshine. Five of the dullest years on record. Enduring dross like this would have brought relief in the past knowing that it would probably be a long time before you would have to go through it again. Nowadays it's never ending and is certainly never compensated with the equivalent from the good end of the spectrum

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Stormchaser
27 June 2014 17:19:13

For those seeking a prolonged settled spell across a wide area of the UK, there are quite strong signals emerging for the trough late next week to initiate a pattern shift as it clears away - the Azores High building strongly in from the SW. This is line with longer range suggestions from the EC-32 day model, the Met Office, and to some extent CFS (though this model has not been very consistent lately).

The current timeframe for this sort of thing appears to be in the range of 8th to 12th June - worth looking out for.

Also worth bearing in mind that the changes rarely happens smoothly - often the timeframe signalled at range ends up being 'attempt 1' with 'attempt 2' or even 'attempt 3' being the one that actually suceeds, usually within about a week of the first attempt.

Happy hoping... 

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Whether Idle
19 July 2014 05:55:03

Summer 2014 is shaping up very nicely, looking like 2014 may become the hottest CET year on record.

Jonesy
11 August 2014 11:54:19

Summer 2014 is shaping up very nicely, looking like 2014 may become the hottest CET year on record.

I agree, am amazed at Ian's take on things from Folkestone, just noticed a post from him in the Convection thread that it's not been that great in Folkestone, Is that the same for Dover too WI?

it's been pretty decent here, a good few storms too. The only thing I've not managed much is to actually plan a BBQ without the threat of rain on a Sunday and also not many late nights sitting outside due to most the hot days ending in storms.

Medway Towns (Kent)
The Weather will do what it wants, when it wants, no matter what data is thrown at it !
Saint Snow
11 August 2014 14:22:20

Originally Posted by: Jonesy 

I agree, am amazed at Ian's take on things from Folkestone, just noticed a post from him in the Convection thread that it's not been that great in Folkestone, Is that the same for Dover too WI?

it's been pretty decent here, a good few storms too. The only thing I've not managed much is to actually plan a BBQ without the threat of rain on a Sunday and also not many late nights sitting outside due to most the hot days ending in storms.

Up until about a fortnight ago, summer was shaping up to be really good. Since then, it's been horribly unsettled. The weather in reality has often not been anywhere near as bad as forecast/model output even 24 hours before - but the forecasts of rain stop you planning anything.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Whether Idle
14 August 2014 21:47:43

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Originally Posted by: Jonesy 

Up until about a fortnight ago, summer was shaping up to be really good. Since then, it's been horribly unsettled. The weather in reality has often not been anywhere near as bad as forecast/model output even 24 hours before - but the forecasts of rain stop you planning anything.

Things went off the rails with Bertha down here, and they may recover in the final week, though in the grand scheme of things, summer 2014 will be one of the best of the past 20 years.

manofllan
20 August 2014 14:13:25

So much for "The hottest August ever.

Not complaining through.  I prefer things a bit cooler.  It's not actually been too bad here in South Wales.  There's been some pleasant warmth, but without stifling humidity, and I can sleep at night.

Stormchaser
20 August 2014 22:15:49

All this polar air aloft is doing wonders for the sunshine amounts despite the convective build-up during the daytime.

This is thanks to the still fairly long morning periods during which the sun is shining but not heating the surface too much, and also a fair number of sunny evenings as the surface cools and convection subsides, usually by some time between 6 and 7pm around here.

The sunny skies have at times persisted all day over in west Hampshire, thanks to a divergence of low level winds extending inland from the coast on days with a northerly airstream, of which there have been many of late.

It has been a truly bizzarre August really, one that has felt more like late April/Early May, or perhaps early/mid-October than the third month of summer.

I have enjoyed sampling the exceptionally clean, fresh air on offer and coupled with reasonably strong sunshine that still wins out when the winds are light - which has been on most days aside from last Saturday.

It's a shame that this month pretty much shatters 2014's chance to become the warmest year on record, at least in my region, unless it manages a truly exceptional September/October combination in terms of warmth.

...well, that's what I think is the case. I'm sure GW will have all the facts when the annual CET thread is updated at the turn of the month 

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Whether Idle
15 September 2014 18:19:16

The summer-like weather in September is set to continue well into the month for many.  I see Kevin has posted about September 1959.  It had struck me that 2014 is potentially going to rival the astonishing 1959 - the year of the long summer, that kept going into October.

This year March was exceptionally sunny and warm for many, April was also sunnier and warmer than average as were May June and July.  August was cooler though around average for sunshine.  September this year should turn out warm and dry, so 2014 has a chance of rivalling the legendary 1959 for longevity of warmth and sunshine, and will be in marked contrast to 2013 in that respect. 

WI

springsunshine
16 September 2014 20:38:09

The summer-like weather in September is set to continue well into the month for many.  I see Kevin has posted about September 1959.  It had struck me that 2014 is potentially going to rival the astonishing 1959 - the year of the long summer, that kept going into October.

This year March was exceptionally sunny and warm for many, April was also sunnier and warmer than average as were May June and July.  August was cooler though around average for sunshine.  September this year should turn out warm and dry, so 2014 has a chance of rivalling the legendary 1959 for longevity of warmth and sunshine, and will be in marked contrast to 2013 in that respect. 

WI

Absolutly agree with your summary whether idle,it has been a fantastic year for warmth and sunshine and one of the longest spring/summer periods i can recall and summer looks like continuing for a while yet and very well may see 25c+ this week.

Although no real blistering heatwaves this year it has been very pleasant and despite the below average August it still averaged 17c here in `sunny Bournemouth` and the September mean is well over 16c to date.

Whether Idle
26 September 2014 18:59:42

Originally Posted by: springsunshine 

WI

Absolutly agree with your summary whether idle,it has been a fantastic year for warmth and sunshine and one of the longest spring/summer periods i can recall and summer looks like continuing for a while yet and very well may see 25c+ this week.

Although no real blistering heatwaves this year it has been very pleasant and despite the below average August it still averaged 17c here in `sunny Bournemouth` and the September mean is well over 16c to date.

Looks like another summer-type week to come.  What a warm year!!

Whether Idle
30 October 2014 17:06:12

Another summer like day here in Kent.  Temperatures at 20c and wall to wall sunshine, children in sea again!  This time even I was tempted.

If this is global warming, so be it!