Stormchaser
26 April 2014 15:03:42

http://weather.unisys.com/archive/sst/sst_anom-070429.gif

http://weather.unisys.com/archive/sst/sst_anom-120429.gif

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sst_anom.gif

Interesting to see how much the NE Pacific has changed since those nasty summers of 2007 and 2012.

The Atlantic at 50*N is also vastly different.

I took at look at this after learning from GW (cheers to him) how a warmer but wetter than average April is a rare occurance for the Central England area, and was last seen in 1961, after which came a below average and rather wet July-Aug period.

While this year April might not manage to be wetter than average there, it certainly will be in areas not far south of the region; areas around Reading, for example, saw 20-30mm yesterday on top of totals that were quite similar for the month to date beforehand. My own total stands at just over 60mm, which is some 15mm above average.

With that in mind, I've started looking out for some similarities and differences to the two particularly cool and wet summers of the 2000s, largely out of interest, but also because it will help give a measure as to just how lucky or unlucky we are with whatever the summer does bring our way! 

Currently I'm approaching this on a very casual basis, as I have a lot of other work going on.

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Whether Idle
27 April 2014 09:06:11

A June of long sunny days and increasing heat.  No more than a gut feeling, July and August in a similar vein though less settled.  Overall a warm and dry and sunnier summer than average.

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
picturesareme
27 April 2014 10:10:12
Originally Posted by: Stormchaser 

http://weather.unisys.com/archive/sst/sst_anom-070429.gif

http://weather.unisys.com/archive/sst/sst_anom-120429.gif

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sst_anom.gif

Interesting to see how much the NE Pacific has changed since those nasty summers of 2007 and 2012.

The Atlantic at 50*N is also vastly different.

I took at look at this after learning from GW (cheers to him) how a warmer but wetter than average April is a rare occurance for the Central England area, and was last seen in 1961, after which came a below average and rather wet July-Aug period.

While this year April might not manage to be wetter than average there, it certainly will be in areas not far south of the region; areas around Reading, for example, saw 20-30mm yesterday on top of totals that were quite similar for the month to date beforehand. My own total stands at just over 60mm, which is some 15mm above average.

With that in mind, I've started looking out for some similarities and differences to the two particularly cool and wet summers of the 2000s, largely out of interest, but also because it will help give a measure as to just how lucky or unlucky we are with whatever the summer does bring our way! 

Currently I'm approaching this on a very casual basis, as I have a lot of other work going on.

But how warm has this April been relative to average? I would have thought it's been around average.. with a good mix of mild & cool weather. But with some rather chilly nights, even on the warmer days.

This April seems to have lacked a spell of widespread low- mid 20's across the southern half of the UK (Birmingham southwards) that normally happen even if only for 2-3 days.

Has 23C even been reached 'officially'??
Stormchaser
27 April 2014 19:11:24

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

But how warm has this April been relative to average? I would have thought it's been around average.. with a good mix of mild & cool weather. But with some rather chilly nights, even on the warmer days.

This April seems to have lacked a spell of widespread low- mid 20's across the southern half of the UK (Birmingham southwards) that normally happen even if only for 2-3 days.

Well it's been a truly bizarre April by some measures; there hasn't been a maximum above 21.0*C officially, yet the mean temperature stands as follows:

Met Office Hadley         10.0c.      Anomaly      2.3c.  Provisional to 26th

(From the CET thread...).

The biggest anomaly at my location is in the night time minima. While some runs of chilly nights have certainly occured, there have been more notable runs of mild nights, particularly the first few days of the month and on most days since last Monday.

I reckon the above average sea surface temperatures in the Channel has had something to do with this, though a tendency for tropical maritime air to get in on the act has perhaps had a bigger impact.

In the CET zone, I imagine the night/day maxima anomalies are closer together, as I have noticed clearer skies up there occuring more often. I reckon it still owes largely to a high number of mild+humid airmass imports... I have on many days found myself thinking that it felt more like mid-late May than whatever time in April.

The same unusual proportion of such airmasses also explains to a large extent the anomalously high rainfall across the southernmost counties - 76.6mm IMBY to 6pm today, which is 158% of the LTA for the month as a whole and just 16.3mm short of my record high value in April 2012 

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Hungry Tiger
27 April 2014 19:13:08

No idea what to expect this year - like most years we need to get May out of the way - last year , well in my area anyway we had to get June out of the way and we had about 8 weeks or so of nice or even very nice weather.

It would be nice if we could get a bit longer period of decent weather.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

picturesareme
27 April 2014 21:18:08
Originally Posted by: Stormchaser 

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

Well it's been a truly bizarre April by some measures; there hasn't been a maximum above 21.0*C officially, yet the mean temperature stands as follows:

Met Office Hadley         10.0c.      Anomaly      2.3c.  Provisional to 26th

(From the CET thread...).

The biggest anomaly at my location is in the night time minima. While some runs of chilly nights have certainly occured, there have been more notable runs of mild nights, particularly the first few days of the month and on most days since last Monday.

I reckon the above average sea surface temperatures in the Channel has had something to do with this, though a tendency for tropical maritime air to get in on the act has perhaps had a bigger impact.

In the CET zone, I imagine the night/day maxima anomalies are closer together, as I have noticed clearer skies up there occuring more often. I reckon it still owes largely to a high number of mild+humid airmass imports... I have on many days found myself thinking that it felt more like mid-late May than whatever time in April.

The same unusual proportion of such airmasses also explains to a large extent the anomalously high rainfall across the southernmost counties - 76.6mm IMBY to 6pm today, which is 158% of the LTA for the month as a whole and just 16.3mm short of my record high value in April 2012 

Not even above 21C that is a strange... But then this is the British weather we're talking about 😃.

I guess maybe the south westerly muck has been rather like it is January as you say - kept temperatures mild but nothing spectacular.

I agree there have been some milder nights, even a few nights where I've dared to leave my chili plants in the outside grow houses overnight - but also some very chilly (no pun) nights...
Stormchaser
27 April 2014 22:38:38

Thinking about the Atlantic SST pattern again for a moment, and what we've seen over the past few months, there may well be an interesting cycle going on across the Azores;

The strong SST gradient off the East U.S. Coast generates strong jet streaks and troughs further south than usual, which push into the region of the Azores.

Once clear, the (markedly) below average SSTs generated in that region encourage greater subsidence than usual, so enhancing the Azores High to produce a stronger cell than usual.

It is an interesting setup for the UK, because when those troughs move into the Azores, the Azores High has often either taken a hike NE across the UK, or travelled east into Europe, in both cases bringing some warm air to our shores. 

This last time, however, the high has lifted north, taking it to our NW while a trough sits across us. So we will always be at an elevated risk of seeing a 'stuck trough' situation as long as the pattern persists - hopefully it will remain the less frequent evolution!

Stormchaser
16 May 2014 09:33:04

http://ghrsst-pp.metoffice.com/pages/latest_analysis/sst_monitor/ostia/sst_anom_6600_600.png

Looking at this, it ties in well with the LRF models and forecasts that I've come across for the first part of the summer; they favour a trough near the Azores, and on the above map, the anomalies reveal an unusually strong SST gradient there - that should result in the jet stream tending to be stronger there, increasing the odds of seeing trough activity in that region.

This is compared to average, of course - the far western Atlantic is almost always the most favourable region for trough development, and remains the case this year, though the sharpest gradient seems to be further south than usual.

http://ghrsst-pp.metoffice.com/pages/latest_analysis/sst_monitor/ostia/sst_anom_7000_600.png

The UK seems to be taking a nice warm bath at the moment. A huge contrast to this time last year IIRC. If we can hold on to these anomalies or increase them through to August... prepare to swim in the seas 

John S2
16 May 2014 11:06:32

Some similarity with developing El Nino years 1972, 1977, 1982, 1991, 1997.
Therefore prediction/guess is:
June - southerly tracking lows, potential for a wet month in the SW. Possibly drier in some Northern parts of the UK
July - warm, some anticyclonic spells, occasional thundery breakdowns
August - probably the least interesting month, slightly drier than average

Saint Snow
16 May 2014 13:56:12

This current nice/warm/sunny spell is the sort of weather that has people with no meteorological knowledge deciding we're going to have a great summer

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
17 May 2014 08:47:48
Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

This current nice/warm/sunny spell is the sort of weather that has people with no meteorological knowledge deciding we're going to have a great summer

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

100F and severe drought I reckon. I read it in the Express.

Some intriguing signs to our South that the overall NH circulation over Africa and Europe could be shifted poleward this summer:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/fews/ITCZ/itcz.shtml 
Brockley, South East London 30m asl
moomin75
19 May 2014 11:17:27

Mods. Can you please sticky this for members to put their summer thoughts in? It's high time we had a dedicated summer thoughts thread I believe, starting with my annual LRF.

Hi guys. Well here goes, my annual attempt (guess) at a summer forecast.

Mods, I have also put a copy of this in the Summer Thoughts thread, but I'd appreciate a thread of its own for the time being so people can comment on it. (Nice comments please)!! No need to sticky it, because the forecast will remain in the summer thoughts thread throughout.

This is purely how I anticipate the summer to pan out. I could be right, I could be wrong, I could be somewhere in between.

So here goes!

Moomin75’s 2014 summer forecast

Overview: Slightly warmer than average with average or slightly below average rainfall throughout all three months.

Much of this rainfall will be in June and July in the form of showers, many of these thundery in nature, with August perhaps drier than average overall.

My methodology is predominantly pattern matching, but I also consider the influence of the jet stream, which I believe will trend towards assuming a more normal “summer” position this year to the north of the UK.

With the jet in a more familiar position, I believe that the blocking patterns this year will lead to some very warm spells of summer weather at times, with less attacks of low pressure across central and southern parts.

Occasional attacks from the Atlantic, pushing against blocking to the north and east will result in some thundery breakdowns at times, most of these in central, southern and south western parts in June and July.

June 2014: I believe June 2014 will begin on an fairly settled note, but with occasional showers across the country, particularly central southern and south-western parts.

However, in any drier spells, it will still be very pleasant or warm, with perhaps the warmest conditions across the north and west of the UK.

The jet stream, however, will be tracking to the north of the UK, meaning that much of the rainfall will be sporadic in nature, with ridging from the Azores taking effect from the back end of the first week.

Into the second week of the month, I believe blocking will become re-established to our north and also to the east, allowing warm easterly or south-easterly winds to take hold across the UK.

Much of the driest, warmest weather will be closest to the high pressure, with Scotland and northern England faring best.

However, the whole of the UK will be under the influence of this blocking high as low pressure systems usually associated with early June are kept at bay.

Some south-western areas may be a little cloudier and damp at times, but elsewhere, showers will be few and far between.

After a coolish first week of June, I expect temperatures to pick up considerably during the second week, getting into the low to mid twenties nationwide, feeling very warm in long sunny spells.

Towards the end of June, I believe the weather will begin to turn unsettled from the south west, with spells of rain or showers across many parts of England.

However, it will remain warm or very warm with winds turning southerly or south westerly.

With a potential plume of very warm air from France and Spain, there is the possibility for it to become increasingly humid, with some torrential thunderstorms likely at times, particularly, but not exclusively across the south and the midlands.

Towards the north of England and Scotland, I believe it will stay predominantly dry, closer to the influence of high pressure.

Overall, I expect June’s CET to be AT LEAST 1 degree above average, sunshine at values to be at or above the 1971-2001 average in north, but perhaps average in the south closer to the Atlantic low pressure systems.

I anticipate June to be drier than normal in the north, but further south, overall precipitation should come in around average due to the heavy showers that are likely to affect the latter part of June.

July 2014: July will commence on a fairly settled note, although still with the prospect of heavy and thundery showers in the south.

However, I believe there will be a prospect that the Azores High will link with the large blocking high over Scandinavia to give much of the UK an extremely warm and dry period for the first two weeks of July after perhaps a few unsettled days at the start.

With winds tending to be coming from a southerly quarter, temperatures in the south could soar into the high twenties, and possibly low thirties at times, although not record-breakingly hot.

These high temperatures, combined with high humidity will be a recipe for afternoon and evening showers and storms, most of these centred around the southern half of the UK.

Further north, I believe it will be mainly dry and a little cooler here, but still temperatures easily into the twenties.

Around the middle of July, I anticipate a change to more mobile conditions with the jet stream diving south, and possibly a spell of rather unsettled weather across much of the UK as the Azores High loses its link with the Scandi high.

This will allow the Atlantic in for a while, and could lead to a week or so of cooler and more unsettled weather nationwide.

Much of the wettest and coolest weather will remain in the Midlands and south of the country, while further north, it will be cooler than the start of the month, but slightly drier than the south.

I don’t anticipate this spell of unsettled weather to last too long, and in the second half of July, I expect the jet to re-assume it’s northerly track, allowing the Azores high to again assert its influence across central and southern parts.

Conversely, I believe this will lead to a more unsettled and cooler second half of July in the north as blocking to the north east dissipates.

Temperatures will recover in the south to average, or perhaps slightly above average in the drier spells, but this will not prevent the monthly CET coming in around or slightly above the 1971-2001 average overall.

Overall, I expect July’s rainfall to be slightly above average.

Sunshine amounts will also be around average in the south, although further north, perhaps slightly below average amounts of sunshine and average rainfall due to an unsettled last two weeks of July.

August 2014: I anticipate August to be the best month of the summer nationwide, with some long dry spells, bucking the trend of some of the longer range models.

I believe the jet stream will be tracking way to the north of the UK, and this should allow ridging from the Azores to become more pronounced, bringing spells of sunshine and warmer weather at times across all areas.

However, I do anticipate further showers at times, many of these sparked by the warmth of the day, and overall, I believe the monthly CET will come out slightly above average overall in the south.

Further north, I anticipate again plenty of settled weather, but with a higher propensity of Atlantic weather systems to make inroads at times.

Summary: All in all, I expect a very reasonable summer for all – probably about on a par with last summer.

I make no apologies for this being a rather “boring” forecast with no massive deviations from what would be seen as a “normal” summer.

I believe there will be some significant warm or hot spells – more so than in the last six years, but nothing record-breaking, with perhaps the hottest part of the summer being in the first week or so of July.

This summer will be notable for occasional thundery breakdowns early in the summer (throughout June), with an unsettled spell in mid-July.

August will probably bring the most pleasant spell of the summer in terms of conditions and temperatures, and I envisage August to buck the trend of the last few years with some very pleasant summer weather.

I believe that the dry August will lead us into a very pleasant start to September, which has rapidly become an extended summer month in recent years.

As I always say guys, please don’t shoot the messenger. I compile these forecasts purely for fun, and as Matty H has always said, all LRF’s are a good deal of guess work.

If I’m right, it will be an achievement, (hopefully I won’t be far off the mark), but this is my genuine thoughts of what we will see during summer 2014.

Witney, Oxfordshire
100m ASL
Stormchaser
24 May 2014 15:31:03

Okay, so this is now the thread for summer outlooks.

We can wave goodbye to the spring thread, as we turn our minds to the season of longest days and in theory warmest ones too! 

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/images/prob_ensemble/20140501/2cat_20140501_mslp_months24_global_deter_public.png

Gavin will be doing a summer outlook tomorrow, but I can't resist posting a brief remark on the latest Met Office ensemble mean outlook;

It greatly resembles what CFS has been predicting quite consistently over the past month or two for June and to a lesser extent July (more variability has occured there), and indicates a summer season most stable to the north, least to the south, and with a tendency to bring continental air our way but also some room for a few notably cool spells of weather.

I actually see it as the most promising CFS/Met Office summer outlook for warmth (but not dry conditions!) that I've observed since I joined TWO in 2008.

I recommend watching Gavin's video outlook tomorrow for the details 

Edit: whether he agrees with me or not 

roger63
25 May 2014 06:47:51

Summer forecastThere are some spring indicators that give a clue to summer temperature type

Of the 35 springs(out of 140 total years) that were top quartile in temperature ie very warm, 63% were followed by warmer than average summers

However the devil is in the detail looking at combined temp /precipitation in spring very dry very warm types had a 78% chance  of being followed by a warmer than average summer,but the figure was only 50% for dry very warm

To date spring is certainly very warm but we wait May figures on rainfall before being able  to say if spring  as a whole was dry or very dry

Anyhow my forecast is for a warmer than average summer as a whole

Stormchaser
25 May 2014 12:06:40

http://ghrsst-pp.metoffice.com/pages/latest_analysis/sst_monitor/ostia/sst_anom_6600_600.png

Looking at what the Met Office ensemble mean and the CFS model are predicting for the summer, I reckon the SST anomaly pattern is having a fair bit of influence;

When thinking about where the westerly flow might be anomalously strong, searching for regions where positive anomalies lie to the south of negative anomalies can give a reasonable guide, as that creates a stronger than usual temperature gradient, which then promotes a stronger thermal wind, which manifests as a stronger jet stream.

The same sort of theory goes for negative anomalies to the south of positive anomalies indicating areas of weaker westerlies and a weaker jet stream.

Applying that theory, a stronger than normal mid-Atlantic jet can be envisioned, with a weaker than normal jet in the NE Atlantic i.e. near to the UK.

Matching this with likely weather patterns, a tendency for mid-Atlantic troughs can be inferred, along with high pressure toward the UK. 

Due to the fact that SST patterns are continuously modified by surface weather, though usually only slowly, this predictor has the most validity for June, and the least for August.

Looking at the CFS June prediction, we see this:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/wwang/cfsv2fcst/imagesInd3/glbz700MonInd1.gif

Which has the mid-Atlantic trough and higher pressure towards the UK just as anticipated from the SST anomalies.

What about the western-Europe trough? Well, with high pressure over the UK or close to the NE, it does tend to be more unstable to the south of us - the two correspond well.

Obviously other driving forces come into play, though given the above, it is possible that they for the most part are linked in wiht the current SST anomaly pattern anway; one would not exist without the other.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/images/prob_ensemble/20140501/2cat_20140501_mslp_months24_global_deter_public.png

This Met Office ensemble mean covers all three months of the summer, yet somewhat remarkably, a similar setup to what CFS shows for June is evident.

This gives hope for the CFS June pattern to hold on for a good part of July as well.

The slight positive anomaly to our NW is an inevitable by-product of having a mid-Atlantic trough, and yes, it could mean we see stronger high pressure towards Greenland at times, but it is signalled to be relatively infrequent compared to the blocking close to our N/NE, probably due to the Atlantic troughs tending to then develop across the NW Atlantic and push NE.

I'm hoping this angle on the outlook adds on nicely to Gavin's video outlook today 

Stormchaser
25 May 2014 21:37:56

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1BX4QegGxzMc6xzlLpiPMpM1s_vNeDb0WEMGbce3X1nc/pub?w=960&h=720

I'm thinking this will appear too small here on the forum, so I've put in a link for clear viewing 

This is most valid for June, a bit less so for July, and not all that much for August to be honest.

tallyho_83
03 June 2014 22:04:12

Not been on here for months!

It looks like we will be in for a wet summer but humid wet, possibly thundery with localised flooding!

What has been very noticeable for the past several months - even pre-Christmas are the night time temperatures. I have noticed the general trend towards milder nights both in winter and summer. We hardly had any cold frosty nights in spring and during with 2013/2014 was not exception. - Perhaps we are trending towards warmer and wetter weather in general - more humid air, more thunderstorms =flooding sadly! :-(

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Gavin P
04 June 2014 12:48:57

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

Perhaps we are trending towards warmer and wetter weather in general - more humid air, more thunderstorms =flooding sadly! :-(

Perhaps, but you only have to go back to late winter and spring 2013 to find a tremendous number of frosts.I remember even in April 2013 the ground was still frozen solid, such what the extent of the forst through that spring.

Rural West Northants 120m asl
Short, medium and long range weather forecast videos @ https://www.youtube.com/user/GavsWeatherVids
roger63
05 June 2014 07:33:27

The CEP figure for March was 104.2mm.This means for spring overall the classification type was Very Warm, Wet

Such springs have a 66:34 chance of being followed by summers that are warmer than average.

I will therefore stick with a  forecast of Summer 2014 being warmer than average.

Very warm,wet springs have a 66% chance of being follwed by a colder than average winter.However need to wait for summer ad autumn classification type before  going nap on winter!

Snow Hoper
06 June 2014 12:20:49

I suppose having told the locals and the family what I think, I should really put it down on virtual paper.

A very warm summer on offer with S/Ely dominated pattern. The first half may be close to or slightly above rainfall but a drier and better second half to come. Always better (depending on your tastes) the further towards the s/e you live.

Going to war over religion is like killing each other to see who has the better imaginary friend.

Home : Thorndon, Suffolk.