SEMerc
06 May 2014 22:32:52
Alright, I'm starting this thread ridiculously early, but for a change I'm actually quite interested in the England team Woy may well pick - if only because the old farts likely won't feature (Gerrard excepted).
As I see it (Woy may not agree of course) I would probably go for the following line-up - assuming no injuries.
Hart
Walker Cahill Jagielka Baines
Gerrard Barclay
Sterling Rooney Lallana
Sturridge
Matty H
06 May 2014 23:01:46
Certainly won't be far off. Anyone else think the middle of the park looks lightweight? I'm not sure Gerrard is an out-and-out midfielder anymore. Not at this level, although I accept you have him in more of a holding role there, assumedly protecting the back line more than creating?
Saint Snow
06 May 2014 23:09:21

Originally Posted by: Matty H 

I'm not sure Gerrard is an out-and-out midfielder anymore. Not at this level, although I accept you have him in more of a holding role there, assumedly protecting the back line more than creating?

We need to have someone there to remind him to put his studs in his boots before he goes out on the pitch

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Matty H
06 May 2014 23:20:02
Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

I'm not sure Gerrard is an out-and-out midfielder anymore. Not at this level, although I accept you have him in more of a holding role there, assumedly protecting the back line more than creating?

We need to have someone there to remind him to put his studs in his boots before he goes out on the pitch

😉
SEMerc
06 May 2014 23:21:39

Certainly won't be far off. Anyone else think the middle of the park looks lightweight? I'm not sure Gerrard is an out-and-out midfielder anymore. Not at this level, although I accept you have him in more of a holding role there, assumedly protecting the back line more than creating?

Yep, I'd play Gerrard in a holding role, given age has slowed him down and we don't seem to have a proper DM available in any event.

Three of the back four largely pick themselves. RB one could argue Johnson vs Walker. If Walker is fully fit (not sure he will be) then I would go for him because he has far more explosive pace than Johnson.

Barclay is a case of s.h.i.t or bust. Potentially, I see him being a major hit. For me, he is the nearest we have have to a Gascoine type player.

Lallana I nominally put at LW, giving him the license to move inside. We can get away with that because in Baines we have an excellent attacking LB.

Sterling for me has impressed more than others at Liverpool. Excellent pace and has something to his game now, rather than the headless chicken we saw earlier.

Rooney and Sturridge pick themselves.

Lumi-Ukko
06 May 2014 23:47:32

You can bet that Hodgson will pick that plodder Milner in the first XI. Admittedly, he has something to offer from the bench in a utilitarian role, but we're shafted if he is picked in a starting XI. I'd love to see the do or bust strategy of picking Barkley but that will never happen with a safety first Hodgson in charge.

SEMerc
07 May 2014 00:18:36

Originally Posted by: Lumi-Ukko 

You can bet that Hodgson will pick that plodder Milner in the first XI. Admittedly, he has something to offer from the bench in a utilitarian role, but we're shafted if he is picked in a starting XI. I'd love to see the do or bust strategy of picking Barkley but that will never happen with a safety first Hodgson in charge.

Depressingly, you are probably correct. Milner is a Woy type player.

It is sad/amusing (depending on your point of view) that the Man U players heavily touted last season (including by me I'll admit)  are nowhere near the starting lineup. Smalling and Jones aren't good enough, whilst Cleverley and especially Young, will count themselves lucky to even be on the plane to Brazil. Is Young injured? Or is he simply so s.h.i.t.e nowadays that he can't even make a pi$$poor United team?

Saint Snow
07 May 2014 13:44:52

Speaking of hopeless teams...

BBC Sport wrote:

Former England captain Gary Lineker leads BBC television's coverage of the 2014 World Cup and will be joined by Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand, France World Cup winner Thierry Henry, and former Dutch midfielder and current AC Milan coach Clarence Seedorf

I suppose we'll be able to understand Henry, but otherwise...

Martin
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
future_is_orange
07 May 2014 13:50:52

Whilshre probably before Barkley... but wouldnt argue with the rest.

ARTzeman
07 May 2014 14:03:08

Phil Jones will be alright in defence...Hopefully ...

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
David M Porter
07 May 2014 14:37:45

I just hope that it's a decent World Cup in terms of overall entertainment and quality of football. South Africa 2010 was a total borefest from start to finish.

Ah well, if this year's WC isn't any better then I've always got Italy v Brazil 1982 on DVD to watch instead.

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
Lumi-Ukko
07 May 2014 15:26:02

Originally Posted by: SEMerc 

Depressingly, you are probably correct. Milner is a Woy type player.

It is sad/amusing (depending on your point of view) that the Man U players heavily touted last season (including by me I'll admit)  are nowhere near the starting lineup. Smalling and Jones aren't good enough, whilst Cleverley and especially Young, will count themselves lucky to even be on the plane to Brazil. Is Young injured? Or is he simply so s.h.i.t.e nowadays that he can't even make a pi$$poor United team?

Could also have been a faliing out with Moyes somewhere along the lines, and may come good again next season under a new manager, but too late for this years WC.  However s.h.i.t.e is probably closer to the mark.

Wilshire (forgot about him) will probably get the nod over Barkley but IMO he is too lightweight on the ball and doesn't have the tekkers of Barkley in my book.

SEMerc
07 May 2014 16:36:21

Surprised that Coutinho hasn't made Brazil's provisional squad for the WC.

And of course Bernard has, which certainly doesn't surprise me one bit.

View image on Twitter

Saint Snow
07 May 2014 16:38:23

I'm not. By rights, he should be, as he's an outstanding player and (IMHO) better than some of the options. But Scolari is a manager who picks a core of players and sticks to it, regardless of form drop-offs, or another player having a wow of a season.

Martin
Aneurin Bevan
SEMerc
07 May 2014 16:53:05

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

I'm not. By rights, he should be, as he's an outstanding player and (IMHO) better than some of the options. But Scolari is a manager who picks a core of players and sticks to it, regardless of form drop-offs, or another player having a wow of a season.

That may be so, but then again he has overlooked Lucas Moura, who used to be a regular core member of his teams. Most odd. 

haghir22
08 May 2014 12:17:06

The ommission of Moura is odd. Lucas I can understand (by the way, how much did Liverpool miss Henderson in his place in the last two games?) and Coutinho blows too hot and cold currently.

YNWA
SEMerc
11 May 2014 21:43:19

Cashley calls time on international career.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27368711

Matty H
12 May 2014 06:50:47
Lampard? Really?
future_is_orange
12 May 2014 07:26:59

Lampard? Really?

I think we have enougn central midfielders to leave Lampard at home this time.....I also have doubts with regard to Gerrard as he had a hard season, isnt the most mobile and we need a player that idoes more than sit in front of the back 4 and put in the odd decent free kick.

SEMerc
12 May 2014 13:09:26

No surprises. Woy has of course picked Lampard. Did we expect otherwise?