KevBrads1
31 December 2013 19:24:44
10 years ago tonight parts of northeast England and Scotland saw snowfalls as frontal systems engaged cold air. I remember we has sleet and rain here but for the Pennines and northeast England saw some good snowfalls and a covering

Forecast by Michael Fish

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Arcus
31 December 2013 19:29:56
Remember this well - you needed some elevation in these parts to see some snow (Halifax et al did quite well IIRC), here we just got sleet then rain.
Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
Andy Woodcock
01 January 2014 00:23:27
Remember this one well.

Snow started in penrith about 8pm and continued till midnight by which time 8cms had accumulated, the 2km walk back home after the New Years Eve party in town was interesting.

Looking back the winters of 2002/03 and 2003/04 were not that bad in penrith, indeed both had more days with snow lying than the 'snowy' winter of 2012/13 which was a real disapointment here.

How depressing that in 2014 I am looking back at those winters with fond memories!

Andy
Andy Woodcock
Plumpton
Penrith
Cumbria
Altitude 435 feet
"I survived The Mega Bartlett Winter of 2015/16 With My Mental Health Just About Intact"
Andy Woodcock
01 January 2014 00:33:47
Looking back at the Michael Fish forecast I would say the Meto underestimated the snow in northern England.

It was bad enough here in penrith but above 800 feet severe blizzards brought power cuts and closed roads, the village of Shap at 900 feet was without electricity for two days and a friend of mine was trapped in the bar at the Shap Wells Hotel for 48 hours.

He reckoned it was the 'worse experience of his life' being forced to live on peanuts and Wainwright bitter.

Hmmm.......

Andy
Andy Woodcock
Plumpton
Penrith
Cumbria
Altitude 435 feet
"I survived The Mega Bartlett Winter of 2015/16 With My Mental Health Just About Intact"