Devonian
19 September 2013 17:53:58

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

Originally Posted by: nsrobins 

Originally Posted by: Quantum 

Snow in the arctic is now above average, unlike last year where it was still below. In fact there is some snow unusually far south in parts of canada, russia and even iceland. This may interest winter forecastors more than sea ice watchers. 

The snow cover in central Canada probably won't interest sea ice watchers - it's over a thousand miles away LOL.

Sorry for what may sound like a really stupid question. Most of the south end of Portsea Island is at or even just below sea level. The average high tide mark on the sea wall in Old Portsmouth has been in the same position for over three hundred years. The stone built quay is still being used today. If, year on year, temperatures are rising along with sea levels, why is most of Portsmouth not under water?

Bad luck? Flapper

Seriously though, I think there are regional variations in the overall rate of sea level rises. Perhaps the UK waters, or at least some of them have been effected to a lesser extent (so far)? That's just a guess though. I belie pave the data are out there, including global maps but I haven't looked at them before writing this.

I would have thought that the gradual lowering of land mass in the south may have made a difference too but perhaps these are all within the range which would be masked by large changes associated with tidal flows or storm surges etc. ?

Edit: Peter wouldn't the land mass in the south sinking actually exacerbate the effects of sea level rises?

Oh yes, silly me, half asleep today  (and probably why I'm incautiously dismissing that life from space story ).

Edit: otoh...if SE England is sinking how come the sea level at Portsmouth seems to have stayed the same?

Edit again: I see SE England is sinking at ~1mm/year which means the tide at Postsmouth should be nearly a foot higher in 300 years?

"When it takes nearly 900,000 votes to elect one party’s MP, and just 26,000 for another, you know something is deeply wrong."

The electoral reform society, 14,12,19
polarwind
19 September 2013 20:11:08

Originally Posted by: John Mason 

Lots of articles on sensitivity and the attendant uncertainties - go and take a look!

There is a lot of reading there. Can you save me some time and point to one such article that genuinely, would leave this reader, with the idea, that there is genuine scientific argument that high sensitivity to CO2 doubling is highly unlikely?

"The professional standards of science must impose a framework of discipline and at the same time encourage rebellion against it". – Michael Polyani (1962)
"If climate science is sound and accurate, then it should be able to respond effectively to all the points raised…." - Grandad
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". - Bertrand Russell
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
"A consensus means that everyone agrees to say collectively what no one believes individually.”- Abba Eban, Israeli diplomat
Dave,Derby
Quantum
19 September 2013 20:19:03

Originally Posted by: polarwind 

Lots of articles on sensitivity and the attendant uncertainties - go and take a look!

There is a lot of reading there. Can you save me some time and point to one such article that genuinely, would leave this reader, with the idea, that there is genuine scientific argument that high sensitivity to CO2 doubling is highly unlikely?

Seems most of the lit seems to think that the climate sensitivity to doubling of CO2 is about 3C, I can't really find any indication that it is significantly less than 2C. 

Twitter: @QuantumOverlord (general), @MedicaneWatch (medicane/TC stuff)
2023/2024 Snow days (approx 850hpa temp):
29/11 (-6), 30/11 (-6), 02/12 (-5), 03/12 (-5), 04/12 (-3), 16/01 (-3), 18/01 (-8), 08/02 (-5)

Total: 8 days with snow/sleet falling.

2022/2023 Snow days (approx 850hpa temp):

18/12 (-1), 06/03 (-6), 08/03 (-8), 09/03 (-6), 10/03 (-8), 11/03 (-5), 14/03 (-6)

Total: 7 days with snow/sleet falling.

2021/2022 Snow days (approx 850hpa temp):

26/11 (-5), 27/11 (-7), 28/11 (-6), 02/12 (-6), 06/01 (-5), 07/01 (-6), 06/02 (-5), 19/02 (-5), 24/02 (-7), 30/03 (-7), 31/03 (-8), 01/04 (-8)
Total: 12 days with snow/sleet falling.
Gray-Wolf
19 September 2013 22:27:06

Is not the early /southerly snow extent not in line with the papers we have been looking at? Surely the stats looking at seasonal difference in temp change clue us up ( if not the R.H. of the global air?),

The thing to look at is how this winter snow impacts spring/summer temps? If the snow (no matter how deep) goes before summer do we not face the 'Albedo flip' forcing we read so much about?

Koyaanisqatsi
ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.
VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS
Gandalf The White
19 September 2013 22:45:39
Originally Posted by: polarwind 

Might I ask respectfully why this dialogue is in this thread? I thought we had agreed to keep direct AGW discussion out?
130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

Gandalf The White
19 September 2013 22:47:49
Originally Posted by: Gray-Wolf 

Is not the early /southerly snow extent not in line with the papers we have been looking at? Surely the stats looking at seasonal difference in temp change clue us up ( if not the R.H. of the global air?),

The thing to look at is how this winter snow impacts spring/summer temps? If the snow (no matter how deep) goes before summer do we not face the 'Albedo flip' forcing we read so much about?

Funny thing, I thought more warmth and more moisture led to more snowfall? It seems that early snowfall is being put forward with a near-subliminal message that it must be getting colder....
130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

AIMSIR
19 September 2013 23:04:18

Originally Posted by: Gandalf The White 

Funny thing, I thought more warmth and more moisture led to more snowfall? It seems that early snowfall is being put forward with a near-subliminal message that it must be getting colder....

Did anyone on this Arctic sea ice thread seem to put forward this near sublimimal message?.

Gandalf The White
19 September 2013 23:14:32
Originally Posted by: AIMSIR 

Did anyone on this Arctic sea ice thread seem to put forward this near sublimimal message?.

No, AIMSIR. Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive? Pavlov's dogs and all that....
130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

AIMSIR
19 September 2013 23:15:59

No, AIMSIR. Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive? Pavlov's dogs and all that....

.Wait for the bell old dog.

AIMSIR
19 September 2013 23:24:17

I think the CA,might kick off soon.

Very low temps knocking around that region.

The main basin might follow in four or five days after the warm inclusion on the European side backs off.imo.
I hope it does and we can get back to the ice.

Gray-Wolf
19 September 2013 23:35:11

I think it's time to remind folk of the 'trend line' for ice loss.

We are all pleased to see how the ice cover rebounded this year ( compared to the record low of last year) but does it impact upon the 30 yr 'trend' for sea ice loss in the Arctic Basin over the past 30yrs?

Koyaanisqatsi
ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.
VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS
AIMSIR
19 September 2013 23:39:46

We are all pleased to see how the ice cover rebounded this year ( compared to the record low of last year) but does it impact upon the 30 yr 'trend' for sea ice loss in the Arctic Basin over the past 30yrs?

I think it will show up nicely on the winter/ spring trends.

Especially the winter trend,it will almost bring this trend to 2% decade, if not lower by the time we are finished this year's refreeze.imo

It certainly will not impact too much on the annual trend.(for now)

I cut out the "I think it's time to remind folk". bit. (Daddy Wolf) If you don't mind?.

We are all well aware here, of the situation and bright enough not to need need reminders.OK?.

Gandalf The White
20 September 2013 00:08:59

Especially the winter trend,it will almost bring this trend to 2% decade, if not lower by the time we are finished this year's refreeze.imo

I cut out the "I think it's time to remind folk". bit. (Daddy Wolf) If you don't mind?.

We are all well aware here, of the situation and bright enough not to need need reminders.OK?.

Not subliminal enough for you, AIMSIR?

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

AIMSIR
20 September 2013 00:23:46

Not subliminal enough for you, AIMSIR?

Oooch, you always pick the best bits.

AIMSIR
20 September 2013 00:38:11

Looking at another trend?.(minimum to maximum area increase)
I think during this year's refreeze season we could get above the 1979/2008 Zero anomaly line in this chart.

For Ref: Cryosphere Today.

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/sea.ice.anomaly.timeseries.jpg

Concidering the position/location of the leftover ice this year and the gaps that will be filled as we go through the season,I think we could easilly break through.

Gray-Wolf
20 September 2013 07:23:37

So you think Barrentsz and Baffin will ice this year Aimsir? How do you envisage such a thing with the ocean temps appearing to call the tune?

As for 'records' are we not facing a very poor 'area' rebuild over winter just by the very fact that there is less open water to freeze this winter ( due to 'rebound' ice cover)? 

Koyaanisqatsi
VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS
AIMSIR
20 September 2013 10:38:35

So you think Barrentsz and Baffin will ice this year Aimsir? How do you envisage such a thing with the ocean temps appearing to call the tune?

As for 'records' are we not facing a very poor 'area' rebuild over winter just by the very fact that there is less open water to freeze this winter ( due to 'rebound' ice cover)? 

I can see your point on less open water, Gray.

But there still is more open water than normal ready to leak heat away to the winter night.

Especially on the European side.

The rebound certainly cannot be like last years,but I reckon by the trends in the chart I have shown earlier we could expect to take on about 1.25 million overall.

I don't see any reason,btw, why Baffin and Barrents will not ice this year. do you?.

Have you seen the recent trend toward below normal sst anomalies for both the above areas?.

Quantum
20 September 2013 10:58:57

SSTS look above average still, especially in the atlantic sector

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/map/images/sst/sst.daily.anom.gif

The angry reds near noya zemyla have become all too common in recent years. 

Twitter: @QuantumOverlord (general), @MedicaneWatch (medicane/TC stuff)
2023/2024 Snow days (approx 850hpa temp):
29/11 (-6), 30/11 (-6), 02/12 (-5), 03/12 (-5), 04/12 (-3), 16/01 (-3), 18/01 (-8), 08/02 (-5)

Total: 8 days with snow/sleet falling.

2022/2023 Snow days (approx 850hpa temp):

18/12 (-1), 06/03 (-6), 08/03 (-8), 09/03 (-6), 10/03 (-8), 11/03 (-5), 14/03 (-6)

Total: 7 days with snow/sleet falling.

2021/2022 Snow days (approx 850hpa temp):

26/11 (-5), 27/11 (-7), 28/11 (-6), 02/12 (-6), 06/01 (-5), 07/01 (-6), 06/02 (-5), 19/02 (-5), 24/02 (-7), 30/03 (-7), 31/03 (-8), 01/04 (-8)
Total: 12 days with snow/sleet falling.
polarwind
20 September 2013 11:09:14

Yes and coincident with the Russian observations of increased extent/velocity of NAD/Gulfstream in that area over the last decade or so.

"The professional standards of science must impose a framework of discipline and at the same time encourage rebellion against it". – Michael Polyani (1962)
"If climate science is sound and accurate, then it should be able to respond effectively to all the points raised…." - Grandad
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". - Bertrand Russell
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
"A consensus means that everyone agrees to say collectively what no one believes individually.”- Abba Eban, Israeli diplomat
Dave,Derby
AIMSIR
20 September 2013 11:30:37

The temperature forecast for the Novaya Zemlya area should soon be reflected in much lower ssts..

It aint gonna freeze anytime soon though.