Ally Pally Snowman
10 July 2013 14:29:46

Prior gone, old school England we are in a world of pain here.

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Arcus
10 July 2013 14:30:14
Whereas Prior is another one that just throws his wicket away.
Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
Saint Snow
10 July 2013 14:32:24

Originally Posted by: Arcus 

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Agreed that Bairstow has had very little batting time of late, so not expecting much from him.

My issue with Bairstow is not so much lack of time in the middle, as lack of ability. He'd be a decent wicketkeeper-batsman, but just doesn't cut it for me as an out and out batsman.

Of course having said all that he's just now become our second highest scorer of the innings so far.

He does of course have the ability to deliver a good innings - I'm not trying to make out he's rubbish. As I said earlier in one of the threads, his inconsistency troubles me - and I put that down to not having the stroke library of, say, Root or Cook or Trott.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Ally Pally Snowman
10 July 2013 14:33:24

Whereas Prior is another one that just throws his wicket away.

Indeed, Siddle has bowled well though. Are batting is really awful at the moment and that might cost us the Ashes, early days obviously. Luckily our bowling is superb and will get us out of a few holes.

Matty H
  • Matty H
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
10 July 2013 14:36:25
Like I said yesterday, I'd have bowled. Me for captain in my opinion. Pathetic from England thus far
Saint Snow
10 July 2013 14:36:41

Questions now starting to be asked of the decision to bat first. Cook's flaw as a captain has previously been his overly conservative approach, and this is going to be back in the spotlight.

Martin
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Saint Snow
10 July 2013 14:37:50

Originally Posted by: Matty H 

Me for captain in my opinion.

Any preference on where you'd bat?

Martin
Aneurin Bevan
Matty H
  • Matty H
10 July 2013 14:40:39

I reckon anywhere would be a benefit right now. On a batting track it surely made sense to take advantage of warm, overcast, humid conditions this morning? I know what GTW means about setting a total, but these conditions were only going to be there this morning.
Ally Pally Snowman
10 July 2013 14:41:47

Bell averages just 21 against Australia in England not good enough should be dropped, but he wont be.

Saint Snow
10 July 2013 14:46:31

Overheard from the box where the selectors are watching from: "Has anyone got Bopara's telephone number?"

Martin
Aneurin Bevan
Arcus
10 July 2013 14:49:19

I reckon anywhere would be a benefit right now. On a batting track it surely made sense to take advantage of warm, overcast, humid conditions this morning? I know what GTW means about setting a total, but these conditions were only going to be there this morning.

Matt Taylor's forecast this morning for the Test Match indicated that this afternoon was to be mostly sunny, so to be fair, in conditions condusive for swing bowling only lasting one session you'd back your top order batsman to get through relatively intact against Australia's bowling.

I still think that Swanny will run riot with hot and sunny conditions likely over the next few days. Sadly he'll need to if we defending a total under 250.

Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
Matty H
  • Matty H
10 July 2013 15:02:46
Remember a couple of years ago when it looked like Broad could bat a bit? Well it's time to rediscover that
Essan
10 July 2013 15:03:11

Matt Taylor's forecast this morning for the Test Match indicated that this afternoon was to be mostly sunny, so to be fair, in conditions condusive for swing bowling only lasting one session you'd back your top order batsman to get through relatively intact against Australia's bowling.

I would hope/expect those involved in sporting events where weather conditions are important for tactics would do more than just watch a TV weather forecast - and get detailed (paid) info from a professional source.   If not, I'm willing to offer my services to the ECB for just £500/day 

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
Matty H
  • Matty H
10 July 2013 15:04:39

I still think that Swanny will run riot with hot and sunny conditions likely over the next few days. Sadly he'll need to if we defending a total under 250.

I'm thinking of it from a more attacking point. I'm not thinking out batsmen are good enough to bat through the morning, I'm thinking our front line bowlers are good enough to make use of the conditions.
Essan
10 July 2013 15:06:54

I'm thinking of it from a more attacking point. I'm not thinking out batsmen are good enough to bat through the morning, I'm thinking our front line bowlers are good enough to make use of the conditions.

Exactly - make the most of the weather

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
Saint Snow
10 July 2013 15:28:34

Broad taking the 'attack is the best form of defence' route, but coming a cropper. Still, 24 useful late order runs. If Swanny can do the same and Bairstow stays around, we could get close to 300.

Then again, hoping for the tail to wag in order to set even a modest total, against an Australian side written off as cannon fodder, is pretty vomit-inducing

Martin
Aneurin Bevan
Saint Snow
10 July 2013 15:29:44

TMS Live Text at its best:

"Have that. Pattinson digs one it at Broad, who jumps and ducks at the same time, a bit like man simultaneously trying to deal with two skipping ropes at once. The result is Broad taking a blow to the shoulder, with Pattinson following up with a couple of words that probably weren't "I say old bean, I do hope you're not hurt". Broad's response? A flay through the off side for four. More words exchanged, with my lip-reading telling me that Pattinson may have used an expletive. Potty mouth."

Martin
Aneurin Bevan
Matty H
  • Matty H
10 July 2013 15:30:26
Useless. The more I think about the more I think bowling first was a no-brainer. The ball has been nipping around all day. Anderson and Finn would have been lethal, regardless of the bad shots England have played
Saint Snow
10 July 2013 15:36:16

Broad taking the 'attack is the best form of defence' route, but coming a cropper. Still, 24 useful late order runs. If Swanny can do the same and Bairstow stays around, we could get close to 300.

Ah well, it was a good plan in theory

F***ing shocking performance from England. Needed to grind the smug, melanoma-ridden faces of the convicts into the dirt and never take our foot off their tide-marked throats until 7th January.

Fat chance.

Martin
Aneurin Bevan
Matty H
  • Matty H
10 July 2013 15:46:13
All out for an embarrassing 218. Convicts 65-0 at the close?