nsrobins
15 March 2013 10:55:29

In short for central south Hampshire - wasn't bad, with one decent snowfall, but could of been more memorable.

Now, bye bye cold . . .

Neil
Fareham, Hampshire 28m ASL (near estuary)
Stormchaser, Member TORRO
KevBrads1
18 March 2013 07:52:21
I wonder how Bonacina would have rated this season under his snow catalogue?

It must be at least average and probably snowy. Bonacina snow catalogue incorporates all snowfalls through the year so snowfalls from November 2012 and this month would have been included.
MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Medlock Vale Weather
18 March 2013 16:07:16

I would say for here the Winter brought a fair number of snowfalls, a few were good, others were just a dusting. Overall I would say this Winter has been good here, could of been even better but could of been far worse like before 2009!

Alan in Medlock Valley - Oldham's frost hollow. 103 metres above sea level.
What is a frost hollow? http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wxfacts/Frost-hollow.htm 
Tim A
18 March 2013 17:26:25

Been a good (defined as cold and snowy) winter  here I would rate 8/10. 

Altitude has played a big part at times though, so low lying snow lovers may not agree with me.  

Had a cumulative total of 52cm of snow with 22 days with snow cover. 14 different snow events with 0.5cm or more.  A maximum depth of 24cm  on the 25th/26th, with very heavy snowfall.

Only thing missing has been really low overnight temperatures, but we don't get notable minima living on a hill so not that bothered. 

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
18 March 2013 22:36:00

Yes, it has been a relatively good winter, only spoilt by the grey December.  Jan and Feb came up trumps with several days of snow and a few frosts too.

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
AlvinMeister
22 March 2013 13:07:06

5/10

Above average days of falling snow, but poor for sticking snow. No snow events to speak of.

roger63
23 March 2013 07:43:41

Originally Posted by: nsrobins 

In short for central south Hampshire - wasn't bad, with one decent snowfall, but could of been more memorable.

Now, bye bye cold . . .

As a resident of central South hampshire would agree.January's  5 of days lying snow is not bad for the Solent Snow desert.

On a national scale the events  of March have upgraded the winter significantly.For the first time in many years the winter has delivered real blizzard conditions ie a combination of snow blowing in very strong winds and snow falling.The southeast and Channel isles got the first taste a couple of weeks ago and  the last couple of days have produced wide spread drifting in the Pennines,NW England,SW Scotalnd and northern Island. The degree of nothern blocking has indeed been epic ,with the Arctic Oscillation touching -5!

March blizzards are not that uncommon and the cold winter of 1979 delivered a sting in its tail with blizzard conditioins an heavily drifting snow across the Midlands and Pennines.I narrowly avoided getting snowed in on the A 50 near ashby on a bitter Friday evenibg in latre March.

Until this month the recent run of cold winters failed to produce much in the way of drifting snow.Lets hope that  the low solar activity expected in the next 10 years helps produce the March synoptics in a January.!

LeedsLad123
23 March 2013 23:39:41

This winter goes from strengh strength to strength - absolutely fantastic.

Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
Snowjoke
24 March 2013 10:28:01

Originally Posted by: LeedsLad123 

This winter goes from strengh strength to strength - absolutely fantastic.

Have you had continual snow cover since late November then 'up North'? For me that would constitute an "absolutely fantastic" winter! 

Down here in Kent we have had probably 15-20 days in total with falling snow, but the rest of the time it has been dank, damp, sunless and thoroughly miserable!  None of the snow has lasted right through the winter!

Hade Edge Snowman
25 March 2013 13:30:58

Must say things had been pretty good up until Friday 22nd March, but since then its been awesome!

Best spell since Jan 1987 IIRC!

Hade Edge Snowman
West Yorkshire
1060 feet/323 metres ASL
idj20
26 March 2013 19:46:18

Folkestone Harbour. 
chiversa
26 March 2013 21:49:23

I have no problem for people wanting to see cold and snow from  December through to February , even the odd cold outbreak in March and April.  but maybe those cold lovers who want the current cold spell to go and on  should think of those that rely on their living for spring to at least arrive on time . Its bad enough the number of sheep and new born lambs lost,in the current cold weather following the devastating flooding last year and the impact on crops and arable land with now late sowing, many farmers are on their knees.  This should be a time when we all go to nurseries and spend money, but instead we are looking out at frozen gardens,and so for  many nurseries its the final straw and many will go to the wall after scraping through last years appalling summer.

Then there is the wildlife, the impact on birds, about to nest, hedgehogs out of hibernations, insects  bees .. the list goes on.   So for those who think the continuation of winter into a cold spring is fantastic and hoping for more super blizzards, maybe enough is enough and we can hopefully wish for spring..

Alan

Gooner
27 March 2013 23:57:40

Originally Posted by: chiversa 

I have no problem for people wanting to see cold and snow from  December through to February , even the odd cold outbreak in March and April.  but maybe those cold lovers who want the current cold spell to go and on  should think of those that rely on their living for spring to at least arrive on time . Its bad enough the number of sheep and new born lambs lost,in the current cold weather following the devastating flooding last year and the impact on crops and arable land with now late sowing, many farmers are on their knees.  This should be a time when we all go to nurseries and spend money, but instead we are looking out at frozen gardens,and so for  many nurseries its the final straw and many will go to the wall after scraping through last years appalling summer.

Then there is the wildlife, the impact on birds, about to nest, hedgehogs out of hibernations, insects  bees .. the list goes on.   So for those who think the continuation of winter into a cold spring is fantastic and hoping for more super blizzards, maybe enough is enough and we can hopefully wish for spring..

Alan

You wish for what you wish for, those wanting milder weather in the winter will more than likely get swlies and alot of rain and then we have flooding. By not wishing for cold anymore wont change what weather we get will it, hence my enjoyment of the well below avg temps and snow cover in places that we have.

Next Winter will probabaly end up the mildest on record

Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

Matty H
28 March 2013 00:06:10
Not sure why the last few weeks would affect anyone's opinions on winter? Winter ended 4 weeks ago
NickR
  • NickR
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
28 March 2013 08:00:03

Originally Posted by: Gooner 

Originally Posted by: chiversa 

Alan

You wish for what you wish for, those wanting milder weather in the winter will more than likely get swlies and alot of rain and then we have flooding. By not wishing for cold anymore wont change what weather we get will it, hence my enjoyment of the well below avg temps and snow cover in places that we have.

Next Winter will probabaly end up the mildest on record

I don't think there is an issue with people enjoying or revelling in whatever the weather may throw at us, But, given the concerns detailed above, the outright glee and salivation shown by some people is, I think, clearly (and understandably) going to upset and rile many.

Nick
Durham
[email protected]
LeedsLad123
28 March 2013 11:11:38

Originally Posted by: NickR 

But, given the concerns detailed above, the outright glee and salivation shown by some people is, I think, clearly (and understandably) going to upset and rile many.

I'm going to be incredibly blunt here, but I do not care if I upset anyone by reveling in the type of weather I prefer. I really don't. People who constantly try to guilt me into feeling sorry for them are not going to be successful, and using your own problems as a personal tool against people on a weather forum (!!) is pretty pathetic. Not directed at you BTW, but they know who they are. For as long as it is realistically possible, I'm going to enjoy cold, snowy weather. End of. No amount of pleading will change my mind.

Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
29 March 2013 11:09:15

But, given the concerns detailed above, the outright glee and salivation shown by some people is, I think, clearly (and understandably) going to upset and rile many.

I'm going to be incredibly blunt here, but I do not care if I upset anyone by reveling in the type of weather I prefer. I really don't. People who constantly try to guilt me into feeling sorry for them are not going to be successful, and using your own problems as a personal tool against people on a weather forum (!!) is pretty pathetic. Not directed at you BTW, but they know who they are. For as long as it is realistically possible, I'm going to enjoy cold, snowy weather. End of. No amount of pleading will change my mind.

I have sympathy for whats happening, but this is weather and mother nature, and as such this shift in the climate to much colder of course is going to have an effect, particularly if noone was prepared for such a climate shift, or noone thought it was possible. What we have now is 4 cold winters in the last 5 followed by a humdinger of a cold March, and the UK is in my opinion whether anyone likes it or not is fast heading towards little ice age conditions, the impact of this will be rather less if people are more open to this option. The unfortunate situation is that many people have prepared for the wrong climate and the opposite is now clearly occuring..

Tom

Gooner
29 March 2013 20:48:01

100% agree . Its not my fault its cold and I love the weather that we are having.

Me or anyone else showing some sort of big thumbs up is no different to the mildies doing the same during winter.

If enjoying the weather we are currently having and voicing such on here riles people ( odd statement BTW) then they ( the riled ones) sould come back in June when the temps pick up. IMO

Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

Stormchaser
29 March 2013 22:31:08

Originally Posted by: nsrobins 

Now, bye bye cold . . .

Had there been a good deal more sunshine, I would have been able to say it wasn't bad overall. As it is, I can't ignore the long runs of entirely cloudy days with raw winds but with little snow to be had aside from that one decent event. I also can't ever recall seeing so much snow falling from the Midlands northward while it remained dry or wet here.

There were some more enjoyable spells such as the convective fun in February, and from mid-January the synoptics were very interesting indeed, but they just quite can't make up for the negatives.

So... a tedious winter overall here, but one with countless very interesting setups from a synoptic point of view.

March has not helped matters, and the fascination is steadily being drowned out by a frustration at having dry lips and cracked skin on my hands nearly all of the time (despite gloves!).

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
future_is_orange
03 April 2013 06:25:57

No real deep cold, never more than a cm or 2 of snow, only one or 2 days of snow lying. So it has been poor IMBY. Not everywhere up north has had a great snowfest of a winter. Dissapointing my location persistently missed out. So overall IMBY it has to go down as POOR.