four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
28 June 2011 11:43:54

Originally Posted by: Marigold 

Now I've grown up believing that you shouldn't boil the mint with the potatoes. When the potatoes have finished cooking you drain them, put a knob of butter and the mint into the pan, lid on tightly and leave for 5 minutes. That way the heat and steam encourages the mint flavour to infuse without 'cooking' it, which has a less pleasant taste.

We'll try that, however it will be with bought ones as the veg patch is a disaster zone this year with late frost and drought effects.
Chickweed looks healthy though...

beaufort
28 June 2011 13:57:29

The other way of doing it is to just take the spuds off the heat then put the mint leaves in and leave for five minutes, putting in the mint while the water in the saucepan is still boiling just destroys the oils. Treat the mint leaves like tea.   

Marigold
28 June 2011 16:02:08

Originally Posted by: beaufort 

The other way of doing it is to just take the spuds off the heat then put the mint leaves in and leave for five minutes, putting in the mint while the water in the saucepan is still boiling just destroys the oils. Treat the mint leaves like tea.   

Isn't that what I said more or less?

Southern Yorkshire Dales

beaufort
28 June 2011 16:06:17

No, not really.  You put the mint leaves in after the water has been drained off, I put the mint leaves in while the spuds are still in the water but off the heat, gives a very intense mint flavour.

Marigold
28 June 2011 16:17:47

No, not really.  You put the mint leaves in after the water has been drained off, I put the mint leaves in while the spuds are still in the water but off the heat, gives a very intense mint flavour.

Makes your potatoes soggy

Southern Yorkshire Dales

beaufort
28 June 2011 16:35:57

Nah, only if you've  over cooked them.   You include the five minutes 'resting' time with the mint in the overall cooking time.

Gandalf The White
29 June 2011 09:01:59

Nah, only if you've  over cooked them.   You include the five minutes 'resting' time with the mint in the overall cooking time.

Do we need a 'Cookery' thread in parallel with this one?

I have to say the recent warm and wet weather seems to be helping my vegetables along - now I've managed to find a way to stop the local wildlife digging holes over the patch and ripping out some of the seedlings...

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

Saint Snow
29 June 2011 09:15:18

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

How do you stop broccoli 'bolting'? Mine are looking very leggy and spindley, with the beginnings of the eaty bit starting to show. Should I have pinched them out?

Too late! 

I've got 8 plants in a container and 4 have bolted - the flowering stalk has grown about 6" in two days. Apparently it's the heat - I needed to keep the roots cool or they bolt.

Oh well, spindly, woody brocolli it is, then.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
beaufort
29 June 2011 11:26:49

Keep picking seems to be one of the answers Saint. Have a look in this link here.

http://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/how-to-grow-broccoli.html

Moving onto basil, I've grown it for years and it's grown but never would I describe it as really flourishing until this year. A tip I was given was to water it from beneath, so I've got a pot of it sat in a dish and I've been filling the dish every day to the extent where the pot is sat in an inch of water for most of the time, the basil seems to love it. You can't beat freshly picked basil with a thinly cut and freshly picked beefsteak tomato still warm off the vine, a generous dollop of good quality olive oil, loads of freshly ground black pepper with proper crusty bread as a starter.

SydneyonTees
29 June 2011 12:29:10

It is mid winter down here in Australia but under a strong southern sun I can report that I had the following plants in flower on mid winters day -

Nasturtiums

Marigolds

Camellia

Winter rose

Poinsettia (massive bush covered in red leaves, not like the little things you get in the UK shops at xmas!)

Lavender 

I haven't been here long but in the vegi patch we have the following -

Chilli

Silverbeet

Lettuce

The hardest thing to get used to is the fact that there is no frost where we are in winter. This means that the growth is never killed right back. Growth slows right down but even in winter there is weeding to be done it seems.

I have plans to get some citrus going, the garden already has a lemon tree, picked a lemon last weekend.

It is going to be a real battle in the summer keeping moisture in the ground. I am going to try using sugar cane mulch later in the year and put a good layer around all the plants. Sugar cane mulch is good for the soil as it breaks down well. I am looking at getting a good sized rain water tank as using tap water on the garden in Oz isn't good.

I haven't found any nasties in the garden yet, spiders don't bother me much mind. It is snakes I can't stand, but you don't see many of them in the burbs.

Saint Snow
29 June 2011 16:26:18

Keep picking seems to be one of the answers Saint. Have a look in this link here.

Cheers, Geoff 

Martin
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Saint Snow
01 July 2011 12:24:33

Cheers, Geoff 

Edit: Cheers, Grant  

Martin
Aneurin Bevan
nsrobins
05 July 2011 13:47:08
Big excitement here - picked our first cucumber today and it's really brilliant - sweet, juicy, and the skin is quite soft. Was a bit worried because the spiel said you had to keep the greenhouse temp above 16C day and night so with the cool nights a few weeks ago i wasn't sure if the cumbers would be affected but not a bit of it.

Now, keepy a beedy eye on the chillis and melons . . .

(actually, it's the other half who does most of the greenhouse pottering but it makes a great fag shelter when it rains so I have a vested interest in it LOL)
Neil
Fareham, Hampshire 28m ASL (near estuary)
Stormchaser, Member TORRO
Snow Hoper
06 July 2011 12:26:13

Our first ever attempt at a veggie patch is yielding some pretty decent returns. Had some spuds/beetroot/lettuce some peas (petty something) salad rocket, spring onion, radish and spinach. Not to mention the herbs, mint, dill, chives, and corriander. Basil and rosemary are also ready. Fruit trees are in (have to wait a couple of years for those) Apple, Pear, Cherry, Plum, Peach, Nectarine, Clementine (most grown from seed)  Had some strawberries from the plot which were very sweet Got loads more veggies and fruit on the go as well

Going to war over religion is like killing each other to see who has the better imaginary friend.

Home : Thorndon, Suffolk.
beaufort
06 July 2011 18:57:26

Sounds like you've been busy Jon.   Petty something wasn't 'petit pois' was it?

Managed to pick some figs earlier today, this is the first crop and if we have a decent Indian summer I might be lucky and get a second crop as well.  Apples are doing well and I've even got some pears, but the Newfoundlands will have those as they can tell when have just got to perfect ripeness by mouthing them whilst still on the tree, they don't damage them but I've never fancied them after they've been sucking on them.  

Snow Hoper
06 July 2011 19:20:05

Sounds like you've been busy Jon.   Petty something wasn't 'petit pois' was it?

Managed to pick some figs earlier today, this is the first crop and if we have a decent Indian summer I might be lucky and get a second crop as well.  Apples are doing well and I've even got some pears, but the Newfoundlands will have those as they can tell when have just got to perfect ripeness by mouthing them whilst still on the tree, they don't damage them but I've never fancied them after they've been sucking on them.  

Yeah thats the ones Very sweet to taste. My only failure so far were to leave the radishes in too long (after picking some rather large ones compared to the supermarkets). They came out with scabies, so we bined them and started again. The new ones are almost ready (probably a couple more weeks) and having checked, are disease free.

Busy's not the word. If I ever find the swine that buried a coal shed and thick broken up concrete path right in the area I chose for the veggie patch, I wont be held responsible for my actions

Going to war over religion is like killing each other to see who has the better imaginary friend.

Snow Hoper
06 July 2011 19:21:20

Anyone got any good ideas of what to do with Dill?

(Besides eat it)

Snow Hoper
06 July 2011 19:24:13

How do you stop broccoli 'bolting'? Mine are looking very leggy and spindley, with the beginnings of the eaty bit starting to show. Should I have pinched them out?

Too late! 

I've got 8 plants in a container and 4 have bolted - the flowering stalk has grown about 6" in two days. Apparently it's the heat - I needed to keep the roots cool or they bolt.

Oh well, spindly, woody brocolli it is, then.

As a first timer, I have mine in with the carrots. The foliage of the carrots should protect the roots and keep them cooler, only time will tell, but I don't appear to have any bolting going on

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
07 July 2011 06:38:20

What I need, being about to go away for the last two weeks of July, is something to put the French beans and courgettes on hold. Still, looking at the charts, the weather may well come to my aid in that respect (not that it looks any better in the Baltic, where I'm going)

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
10 July 2011 20:48:31

I had a very large Cordyline that was destroyed in the winter cold and I cut it right down to a low fork in the trunk hoping it might sprout again.  It didn't, so today I decided to cut the remaining trunk down but found 7 baby Cordylines sprouting from the ground around it!! 

I've also decided to cut down a kiwi plant that is doing nothing but trying to lift the guttering off our deck roof and shading the hanging baskets.  It had two flowers last year that lasted all of a week, then they fell off leaving no fruits to follow.  This year it hasn't flowered at all but it's a very quick grower and needs constant pruning.  It has to go!!

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.