Originally Posted by: Matty H 

Originally Posted by: llamedos 

A dangerous thug of a footballer who thought he was too special to play for his country... Discuss ๐Ÿ‘…

A robust midfielder with a tendancy to mis-time his tackles, but gifted with the touch and vision to deliver the telling ball that most aspire to, but will never be able to achieve.......discuss that as well

A bit uncomfortable discussing this any further?  

Didn't see it. Doesn't change my opinion that he's a dirty fouling tosser and the game is better off without him 

Somewhat at odds with the opinions of most of his contemporaries. But what do they know they've only ever played with or against him

Makes my last post even more valid than it already was

Lost me totally there

Regular down Old Trafford are we?

Living in London and working the hours I do, not as much as I would like to. My wife's cousin has a hospitality box there, so I do make the odd visit  

Bloody toffs

It's called contacts really. Just like I go to loads of London based film premiers becuase my daughter's high up in Warner Bros.........I always have a good scub up before rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous, but I'm still a f*****g fishmonger by name mate!.........little do they know, apart from the odd one's that recognise me   

"Life with the Lions"

TWO Moderator
wallaw
01 June 2011 07:36:19

If you could roll Stevie G and Lamps into one, taking their finest qualities and adding a touch of something even better, then you still wouldn't come anywhere near to Paul Scholes IMHO. Best of his generation by a long long way and for once in my life I will agree with Alan Shearer (the dirty horrible Mag scum that he is) "the only british player that, in his prime, would get in the current Barca team".

He wasn't really there to tackle, he left that to the fly by night, wannabe pop stars and inflated egos of Stevie and Lamps................unlike those two who always, without exception, go missing in a big game he actually played better the bigger the game.

My only negative would be that your country decides when they don't need you and he should have played on. However for Sven to put him on the left over those two halfwits was something an insult.

Ian

Stockton-on-Tees

meme
01 June 2011 09:20:27
Paul Scholes:

676 Man Utd appearances, 150 goals
66 England caps, 14 goals
Premier League winner: 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011
FA Cup: 1996, 1999, 2004
Champions League: 2008
League Cup: 2009, 2010
PFA Team of the Year: 2003, 2007
18th highest scorer in Premier League history (102 goals)
4th most booked player in Premier League history (87 times)

Without a shadow of a doubt the greatest English footballer of his generation. You can shove your Gerrard's and your Lampard's right up your arse, they are not and never will be fit to lace the little man's boots.
meme
01 June 2011 11:42:32
It doesn't matter how many caps they have got, the simple fact is that for the majority of those caps they have been utter crap, often when playing alongside each other (fault of the manager perhaps). Either way they have never performed on the big stage as well as Scholes has.

I'm not even a huge fan of Scholes, but he is in a different league compared to Gerrard and Lampard.
wallaw
01 June 2011 11:47:47

Originally Posted by: meme 

It doesn't matter how many caps they have got, the simple fact is that for the majority of those caps they have been utter crap, often when playing alongside each other (fault of the manager perhaps). Either way they have never performed on the big stage as well as Scholes has.

I'm not even a huge fan of Scholes, but he is in a different league compared to Gerrard and Lampard.

I agree Rob, I am not his greatest fan either............but if those three had been Italian, Spanish, German or Dutch then Scholes would still have his caps, maybe more..........the other two would have had a handful at best. Whilst we still put effort and energy and brainless 'up and at em' football over quality then we will always fail at international level.

Ian

Stockton-on-Tees

Saint Snow
01 June 2011 13:05:25

Originally Posted by: wallaw 

Originally Posted by: meme 

I agree Rob, I am not his greatest fan either............but if those three had been Italian, Spanish, German or Dutch then Scholes would still have his caps, maybe more..........the other two would have had a handful at best. Whilst we still put effort and energy and brainless 'up and at em' football over quality then we will always fail at international level.

Harsh on Gerrard. His biggest [club] game was in Istanbul in 2005 when he dragged his shell-shocked team from a 3-0 half-time deficit to a win on penalties, with an outstanding second half performance.

He’s put in some quality performances for England, too. His biggest problem has been that successive England managers have insisted on playing him and Lampard together, which just won’t work as neither can play their natural game. Gerrard’s been played on both left and right to accommodate Frank in the centre (who’s not then justified his selection anyway)

Now that Matthew’s caught his CFP quota for the thread, I can safely say that Scholes has been a top quality player. [see, I have no need to be churlish] He was one of the most gifted playmakers of his generation, with a great vision, feel for a pass, and instinct to crop up in the right place at the right time. Had a dirty side to his game and those trying to make out otherwise are deluding themselves (nobody can mistime so many tackles so painfully for the other player on so many occasions when the game’s going against you)

I don’t reckon he ever scaled the heights in an England shirt that perhaps he could have done. Maybe that’s down to his lack of ego, maybe being played out of position, maybe the managers, maybe the players around him. Consistently very good, but IMO he was never a true great of the England team.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Matty H
  • Matty H
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
01 June 2011 13:06:47

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Now that Matthew’s caught his CFP quota for the thread,

I was only just getting started

Yate, Nr Bristol
Say NO to misogynyย 
https://human-rights-channel.coe.int/stop-sexism-en.html 
meme
01 June 2011 19:00:31
Absolutely. Beckham is right up there, I grant you that, but Scholes has a more complete game, and kept up a very high standard for longer, perhaps because he didn't move clubs and got a consistent amount of playing time in each season.
haghir22
01 June 2011 21:27:52

Good to see Matty hasn't changed since I last posted on here some two years ago.... Looking forward to next season with much excitement....and will be back for the scores predictor.

YNWA
llamedos
01 June 2011 22:21:38

Originally Posted by: haghir22 

Looking forward to next season with much excitement....and will be back for the scores predictor.

Excellent news

"Life with the Lions"

TWO Moderator
wallaw
02 June 2011 07:11:58

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Harsh on Gerrard. His biggest [club] game was in Istanbul in 2005 when he dragged his shell-shocked team from a 3-0 half-time deficit to a win on penalties, with an outstanding second half performance.

I'll take my original statement back, in that game Gerrard did indeed lead from the front, although I still say that him having Alonso behind him doing his thinking for him gave him the license to go and do what he did.

He also came good in that 5-1 game over in Germany.

I should have said generally bottled the big games rather than always.

Ian

Stockton-on-Tees

future_is_orange
06 June 2011 09:40:39

Ryan has been caught wiht his trousers well and truly down...supposed 8yr affair with his brothers wife reported.

Matty H
  • Matty H
06 June 2011 10:40:42
All those years of squeaky clean credibility completely destroyed. He's as big a scum as Rooney
Yate, Nr Bristol
Say NO to misogynyย 
wallaw
06 June 2011 10:53:33

All those years of squeaky clean credibility completely destroyed. He's as big a scum as Rooney

WOW, sister-in-law...............a new low???

Ian

Stockton-on-Tees

SEMerc
07 June 2011 10:17:45

Good move by Fulham to appoint Martin Jol.

Excellent manager who was treated shabbily at Spurs.

future_is_orange
07 June 2011 18:49:34

Originally Posted by: SEMerc 

Good move by Fulham to appoint Martin Jol.

Excellent manager who was treated shabbily at Spurs.

I like Jol a nice bloke but may need to toughen up a bit for his next stint at the premiership

Matty H
  • Matty H
09 June 2011 22:08:15
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13704323.stm  just come out and say it Carlos. You think Manchester is an absolute s**t hole ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚
Yate, Nr Bristol
Say NO to misogynyย 
SEMerc
09 June 2011 22:35:38

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13704323.stm just come out and say it Carlos. You think Manchester is an absolute s**t hole ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚

And to think there are so many Utd fans who will never know that factoid.

SEMerc
11 June 2011 07:23:24

Originally Posted by: wallaw 

WOW, sister-in-law...............a new low???

Gary L
11 June 2011 10:30:18

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13704323.stm just come out and say it Carlos. You think Manchester is an absolute s**t hole ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚

I think he needs help, paid all that money and can't find anything to do. I assume the 2 resteraunts he is referring to are Bem Brasil on Deansgate and Bem Brasil in the Northern Quarter.  All he ever does is moan, I remember when SAF got rid of him and the fans weren't happy about it, turns out it was the right decision.