broken nail
10 May 2011 16:24:49

I was told to so I have.

A few of my roses are in full bloom already this year, though I've lost all the buds on one as they all had tiny holes in, I thought it best just to take them off completely.

llamedos
10 May 2011 16:37:25

Originally Posted by: broken nail 

I was told to so I have.

It's just not right ...........this should be in the Sports & Leisure forum where the footie,golf and cricket experts can contribute

"Life with the Lions"

TWO Moderator
llamedos
10 May 2011 17:37:01

Apparently strawberries are doing well...........http://bit.ly/h250Mi

"Life with the Lions"

TWO Moderator
bradders
10 May 2011 20:47:14

Gardening threads should be in sports and leisure, otherwise it`s just sports.

Eric. Cheadle Hulme, Stockport.
broken nail
19 May 2011 14:32:12

I feel so guilty today, was checking when it would be ok to turn the compost as I have a slow worm family in mine, then I went and cut the grass which had gotten rather long since that rain we had, and I ran over at least one of the slow worms. 😞. I also ran over the lead of the LED butterfly lights.

Twister
19 May 2011 14:43:34

The crop of radishes in my wee garden is nearly ready to pick - hurrah! Have some srping onions, carrots, tomatoes and runner beans growing too.

Thunder 2016: 12 (Apr 3,13; May 21; Jun 8,11,17,22,23,25, Jul 2,12, Aug 26)
Winter 2015/6: Snowfalls: 10 | Snowcover: 2 (Jan 17 (0.5cm)) | Air frosts: 39
Winter 2016/7: Snowfalls: 4 (Jan 12-3, Feb 10-11) | Snowcover: 2 (Jan 13, 2cm, Feb 11, 3-5mm) | Air frosts: 57 (2 in Oct, 10 in Nov, 13 in Dec, 19 in Jan, 6 in Feb, 3 in Mar, 4 in Apr)
"The heavens tell of the glory of God. The skies display his marvellous craftsmanship." (Psalm 19:1)
broken nail
19 May 2011 16:06:07
Already had to gather my spring onions, they were getting a bit big!
llamedos
19 May 2011 16:10:51

Already had to gather my spring onions, they were getting a bit big!

In danger of becoming leeks?.............

"Life with the Lions"

TWO Moderator
bradders
21 May 2011 08:24:25

I`m growing Tomatoes in a lean to greenhouse, Potatoes in growsacks, Runner Beans, and Strawberries.

I often wonder whether it`s worth it though. The cost of all the stuff, plants, compost, growbags etc, probably exceeds the cost of just buying everything in the local supermarket.

And then I`ve got to get rid of the used compost and growbags afterwards.

broken nail
21 May 2011 12:25:20
bradders have you not tried growing from seed rather than buy young plants, much much cheaper.
Charmhills
21 May 2011 12:36:27

Our estate has entered the Loughborough in bloom flower competition. New plants have been put in across the estate including annuals and perennials.

Loughborough, EM.

Knowledge is power, ignorance is weakness.

Duane.
bradders
22 May 2011 15:13:35

bradders have you not tried growing from seed rather than buy young plants, much much cheaper.

No I`ve not tried growing from seed, that would save some money, but a large part of the overall cost is on grow bags and compost. We don`t have enough space in the garden to grow stuff directly in the ground so 2 grow bags for the tomatoes and several bags of compost for the potatoes, runner beans and strawberries have cost about £37. (those potato sacks, 6 of them, hold an awful lot of compost).

four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
22 May 2011 16:40:01

I managed to get wallflowers to grow in a rubbly dry area next to a wall.
They're about finished now and I wondered if they'd most likely make it to another year if I cut them back really hard or just nipped the seedheads off?
It's so dry there establishing anything else would be difficult.
Conventionally you put in new plants every autumn - sown about now - but I know they will sometimes go into a third year.

AIMSIR
22 May 2011 21:28:34

Originally Posted by: bradders 

I`m growing Tomatoes in a lean to greenhouse, Potatoes in growsacks, Runner Beans, and Strawberries.

I often wonder whether it`s worth it though. The cost of all the stuff, plants, compost, growbags etc, probably exceeds the cost of just buying everything in the local supermarket.

And then I`ve got to get rid of the used compost and growbags afterwards.

Keep the old compost and turn it over and re fertillize it.

Even get yourself a compost bin and make your own,Why throw out good material?.

The fun is in the growing ,eitherway.Bradders and I will say the taste of your own is always better..

Btw. a good mix of lettuce type seeds in a small planter is wonderfull,Just plucked a few myself the other day for a sandwitch.

Fresh and very satisfying.

Now get some nice flowering plants in and you are away Keep it up Bradders.Growing brings Joy.

Marigold
27 June 2011 14:45:29

Just harvested the first crop from the potato sacks - bumper harvest of lovely looking potatoes, no splits, damage or bad bits  Variety was 'Swift' and as it seems only yesterday that I planted them, that's a good name

Southern Yorkshire Dales

four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
27 June 2011 15:14:51

I hope you have some mint to boil them with.
To be honest we think the early varieties lack good 'new potato' taste usually, but the ones you lift minutes before cooking are always so much better than any you can buy which have probably been knocking around for a week or more.

Marigold
27 June 2011 21:33:04

Originally Posted by: four 

I hope you have some mint to boil them with.
To be honest we think the early varieties lack good 'new potato' taste usually, but the ones you lift minutes before cooking are always so much better than any you can buy which have probably been knocking around for a week or more.

Now I've grown up believing that you shouldn't boil the mint with the potatoes. When the potatoes have finished cooking you drain them, put a knob of butter and the mint into the pan, lid on tightly and leave for 5 minutes. That way the heat and steam encourages the mint flavour to infuse without 'cooking' it, which has a less pleasant taste.

Southern Yorkshire Dales

bradders
28 June 2011 10:05:51

Originally Posted by: Marigold 

Just harvested the first crop from the potato sacks - bumper harvest of lovely looking potatoes, no splits, damage or bad bits  Variety was 'Swift' and as it seems only yesterday that I planted them, that's a good name

What weight of potatoes did you get from each sack? I have harvested 3 of my 6 sacks, the first weighed 4.5lbs, the second only 2.5 lbs and the third 4.5lbs.

I don`t think that`s much of a crop, do you?

Saint Snow
28 June 2011 10:19:01

How do you stop broccoli 'bolting'? Mine are looking very leggy and spindley, with the beginnings of the eaty bit starting to show. Should I have pinched them out?

And when do peas stop producing? Mine aren't exactly reaching for the sky up the frame and are only delivering a small number of pods. Do I need to keep picking the pods as they ripen to encourage more growth?

Finally, some good news on the winter damage. The callistemon is now sprouting from the bottom after all the existing growth was killed off last winter (despite a fleece wrap) and the robinia pseudoacacia is in leaf again from one area at the bottom; whether it'll survive though...

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
britbob
28 June 2011 11:41:12

Just to be different!

My Musa Basjoos have enjoyed the last few days of fine weather. My Bamboo has also shot up in the last week, probably about 25" of growth in just a week. Our garden is looking more jungle(y) in the last week (Palms, Banana, Bamboo and Canna).

I just wish somebody would run over the horrible cats that keep crapping in our garden NOthing I hate more than spending time making a garden look nice for ourselves then find poo everywhere. My better half is pregnant and I have a three year old.