Rob K
14 August 2022 10:46:47
The Met Office long rangers seem to contradict each other.

The first one which runs until the 27th says “Unsettled conditions will dominate in most areas towards the end of the period.”

But the second one says “The conditions are likely to become generally more settled towards the end of August.”

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome

moomin75
14 August 2022 10:49:10

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

The first one which runs until the 27th says “Unsettled conditions will dominate in most areas towards the end of the period.”

But the second one says “The conditions are likely to become generally more settled towards the end of August.”

Hedging their bets so they can't be wrong.

Witney, Oxfordshire

100m ASL

Ally Pally Snowman
14 August 2022 11:20:14

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

As I've said before their online stuff is just shite sometimes.  

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Heavy Weather 2013
23 August 2022 11:30:35

Astonishing Update:

Metoffice have just confirmed that the highest min ever recorded has been upgraded from 25.8C to 26.8C at Shirburn Model Farm, Oxfordshire. Kenley Airfield loses its record.

I will update with a link when I have it.

Mark

Beckton, E London

Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.

David M Porter
23 August 2022 11:34:30

Originally Posted by: Gavin D 

Hungary's weather chief sacked over wrong forecast

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62640051?xtor=AL-72-%5Bpartner%5D-%5Bbbc.news.twitter%5D-%5Bheadline%5D-%5Bnews%5D-%5Bbizdev%5D-%5Bisapi%5D&at_custom3=%40BBCNews&at_medium=custom7&at_custom2=twitter&at_custom1=%5Bpost+type%5D&at_campaign=64&at_custom4=12F9CEA2-2253-11ED-99C0-AEB84744363C

Oooops!

Seems a bit harsh IMO.

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
tierradelfuego
23 August 2022 12:16:38

Originally Posted by: Heavy Weather 2013 

Astonishing Update:

Metoffice have just confirmed that the highest min ever recorded has been upgraded from 25.8C to 26.8C at Shirburn Model Farm, Oxfordshire. Kenley Airfield loses its record.

I will update with a link when I have it.

That is crazy, not sure I will ever get my head around min temps and all the factors involved.

20 or so miles away from that rural location in our rural location, our highest min was 16.xc in the hot weather recently. We haven't had a night not drop below 19c in the last 8 years of living here.

tallyho_83
30 August 2022 00:44:01
Thought this is an interesting read I'd like to share:

https://www.severe-weather.eu/global-weather/cold-anomaly-stratosphere-polar-vortex-volcanic-cooling-winter-influence-fa/ 

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)

---------------------------------------

Sean Moon

Magical Moon

www.magical-moon.com

roadrunnerajn
30 August 2022 06:20:09

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

https://www.severe-weather.eu/global-weather/cold-anomaly-stratosphere-polar-vortex-volcanic-cooling-winter-influence-fa/

Very interesting… we will see and with the current forecast energy crisis probably Sod’s law.

Helston Cornwall 62m asl. Land of the eternal spring (13c and overcast mizzle)
doctormog
25 September 2022 19:34:49
Looks like autumn has indeed arrived in the higher elevations of Aberdeenshire this week:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gfjkst9nc#?date=2022-09-25 

Surrey John
26 September 2022 06:36:15

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

there is an updated version, rather suggests winter in UK will be colder than average

https://www.severe-weather.eu/global-weather/polar-vortex-early-disruptive-event-winter-influence-united-states-europe-fa/

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

35m ASL

moomin75
05 October 2022 13:36:31
*BUMP*

You will all be delighted to know that we are going to have a very mild winter.

How do I know?

Because BBC South Today just said so.

They said that Meteorologists at Reading have forecast a much milder than average winter.

So that's it! Winter is over! 😂😂😂

AND....before I'm jumped on, this is very much a tongue in cheek comment.

Witney, Oxfordshire

100m ASL

tallyho_83
13 October 2022 00:52:11

AccuWeather released their winter 2022/23 forecast for Europe:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-forecasts/accuweather-2022-2023-europe-winter-forecast/1259417

Interesting how the forecast is for snow to be below normal in northern parts of Alps but above in southern parts of Alps like northern Italy etc? Anyway, only to be taken as a pinch of salt!

PS - Sorry for abscene been trying to cope with bereavement and moving house and more...! I am not feeling SO excited about the snow and  weather in general, especially given the soaring gas prices and cost of living I don't think i would want a freeze this winter, but wouldn't say no to some snow on Christmas day...? Maybe we could get it at long last?

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)

---------------------------------------

Sean Moon

Magical Moon

www.magical-moon.com

fairweather
13 October 2022 21:54:57

Channel 5 Sunday 9pm. Programme about the Great Storm of October 87, 35 years ago.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
fairweather
10 November 2022 10:39:46

Anybody else find the new Met office rainfall radar and cloud graphics awful. They look bad, it's hard to find the animations and what is going on along the bottom with the times and dates. Solid cloud here today but it would be hard to tell looking at their graphics.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
11 November 2022 12:03:55

Originally Posted by: fairweather 

Anybody else find the new Met office rainfall radar and cloud graphics awful. They look bad, it's hard to find the animations and what is going on along the bottom with the times and dates. Solid cloud here today but it would be hard to tell looking at their graphics.

I see what you mean. If there is 100% cloud cover you can see the place names but it's a "Should haver gone to Specsavers" case if you want to see the roads. it seems too smoothed if that makes sense and then pixelated when you zoom in. 

Rainfall. I used to like RainToday before that went but I've got used to Brian's rain radar at the top of the page. 

Temps? The Met site seems if anything to overcook the temps. For example the Met Office say it's currently 16C but my thermometer tells me its 15C. The Windy app site https://www.windy.com/?50.712,-2.291,11 suggests it's 15C too. 

Not related but I used to be able to see tweets etc in UIA etc but I'm now told I need to log in even though I'm logged in. Must be doing something wrong I guess. But not worth worrying about most of the time.

Surrey John
17 November 2022 00:16:38
Met office update

Thursday 1 Dec - Thursday 15 Dec

There is a degree of uncertainty in the forecast for this period. The more likely outcome is that conditions will become generally settled as high pressure moves towards or develops near the UK, bringing drier and calmer weather than of late. Temperatures are likely to trend from near average towards below average at times, with an increased risk of frost and fog. There is however a chance that low pressure systems will run to the south of the UK, at least for a time, whilst northern areas remain drier, allowing colder air to become more established further north. This scenario would increase the chance of snow across central areas, with perhaps wintry showers in parts of the north.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/ 

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

35m ASL

ballamar
17 November 2022 07:58:45

Originally Posted by: Surrey John 

Met office update

Thursday 1 Dec - Thursday 15 Dec
There is a degree of uncertainty in the forecast for this period. The more likely outcome is that conditions will become generally settled as high pressure moves towards or develops near the UK, bringing drier and calmer weather than of late. Temperatures are likely to trend from near average towards below average at times, with an increased risk of frost and fog. There is however a chance that low pressure systems will run to the south of the UK, at least for a time, whilst northern areas remain drier, allowing colder air to become more established further north. This scenario would increase the chance of snow across central areas, with perhaps wintry showers in parts of the north.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/

not a bad update for some wintry weather

dagspot
19 November 2022 19:28:36
red tops reporting 7” snow tonight for higher parts of Scotland…

Would be surprised if theres any never mind the very specific 7”…

Where do they get this stuff

Neilston 600ft ASL
Osprey
21 November 2022 15:45:15

Daily Express

UK storm alert: Atlantic mega freeze to blitz Britain with torrential rain and 80mph gales.

The collision between cold and mild air over the North Atlantic will also fire up the jet stream to drag violent low-pressure systems towards Britain. Wet and windy weather will set in through the start of the week with no end in sight this side of winter.

Link

Nobody likes a smartass, especially another smartass...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!