doctormog
08 August 2022 08:33:51

Nor did I suggest otherwise, just that you can't pinch our water. 

Crepuscular Ray
08 August 2022 08:51:25
An interesting map Doc. Thank you!
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Crepuscular Ray
08 August 2022 09:00:05
For me, the worst aspect of this summer has been the lack of sunshine! Even if it's only 16 C at this time of year the sun feels strong and it's comfortable.
We've had day after day of gloom with the cloud level down to 300m and max temperatures around 16 to 19 C which is about normal for here I hear you say. Unless we share in this next heatwave I think summer 2022 will go down as 'around average' in Cumbria, possibly slightly duller.
I'm banking on this next High to build further north and give us an easterly flow.
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
johncs2016
08 August 2022 11:01:18

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

The west of Scotland perhaps as much of the east is at some stage of “water scarcity”. https://www.sepa.org.uk/media/594320/5-august-water-scarcity-report.pdf 

We have just about had enough rain here to keep things growing although the garden plants and grass could do with a bit more and that’s not happening in the coming days. Generally though it is looking warm, dry and mostly sunny for the coming week so no complaints.

According to that report, the water scarcity status in parts of Fife (which is only on the other side of the Firth of Forth from where I am here in Edinburgh) has now been upgraded from moderate scarcity to significant scarcity which is actually as high as you can go on that scale.

This is quite a good indicator of how the overall situation with that is continuing to deteriorate and now, it is only really the NW of Scotland which is still at normal status according to that report.

The NW of Scotland has at least had the benefit of frequent Atlantic weather systems brushing up against there but for the rest of us, we really could do with getting some rain.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
johncs2016
08 August 2022 11:09:21

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

For me, the worst aspect of this summer has been the lack of sunshine! Even if it's only 16 C at this time of year the sun feels strong and it's comfortable.
We've had day after day of gloom with the cloud level down to 300m and max temperatures around 16 to 19 C which is about normal for here I hear you say. Unless we share in this next heatwave I think summer 2022 will go down as 'around average' in Cumbria, possibly slightly duller.
I'm banking on this next High to build further north and give us an easterly flow.

If that happens, it would stop the frequent incursions of Atlantic weather systems into NW Scotland which could actually end up getting some of the best weather as a result.

At the same time, it might also raise possible hopes that the south of England in particular, might see some thundery stuff moving up from the continent.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
17 August 2022 12:55:42

I haven't had a moan for some time but a farmer has decided it's a good time to spread some chicken shite and I'm downwind of the field.

A pungent combination of dog and fowl with cat vomit in the mix. 

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Bolty
20 August 2022 13:33:33
Not too bad these last two days - around 20°C with sunny spells, though a bit on the breezy side, especially today. There's definitely a growing early autumn feel though.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Saint Snow
25 August 2022 12:12:28

We're at Alton Towers. Booked it a couple of weeks ago. All through, and even last night, the forecast was for dry with sunny intervals.

The rain band was showing comfortably to the east 

Low and behold, a 'shadow' rain band appears from nowhere to the west of it, a finger of heavier crap right over here.

Fecking typical. 

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Jiries
25 August 2022 12:30:45

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

We're at Alton Towers. Booked it a couple of weeks ago. All through, and even last night, the forecast was for dry with sunny intervals.

Low and behold, a 'shadow' rain band appears from nowhere to the west of it, a finger of heavier crap right over here.

Fecking typical. 

Went there in 1992 and we chose that day when we saw forecast sunny and dry from BBC, teletext and newspapers and it was very nice and sunny day that time, so it was 100% accurate than today age.  Still waiting for the sun that due to come before lunch time had not come yet.  Can't wait to see this stupid band of rain in the SE which leaving too much clouds behind to back off to allow warm sunny weather as forecasted get a crack on to save August from being another very poor half month like last month.

fairweather
25 August 2022 14:17:45

Fecking typical. 

Indeed, went further west than forecast.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
Jiries
25 August 2022 15:11:10

Originally Posted by: fairweather 

Indeed, went further west than forecast.

Does Alton Tower need to be booked?  I know Legoland Windsor does need booking in advance and went there in 2012 but was very lucky during the horrible summer I picked the most settled day with low 20's and sunshine.

I am absolutely scared to book in advance anything outdoor in this country due to 100% wrong forecasting constantly and cannot. be trusted.  Last time I made booking was in Germany Legoland twice and both were brilliant weather due to checking on wetterzentrale was very accurate, first trip was in October 2014 very warm and sunny 2 days 24-25C,  Then Paris June 2015 was very nice and sunny often with mid to high 20's follow by Legoland Germany again  a week after was forecasted rain showers expected on the travel day which I picked on purpose as we will end up in the hotel and not get wet and knowing that will be sunny next 2 days, it did came out right and was very accurate.

Saint you need to be extra strict and look out from the windows to see if sunny then go places that not need to book in advance.  I only will book i advance abroad, but not UK except indoors fine.  I like to see Concorde in Manchester which is indoor so not bother about outside or poor forecasting.

Retron
25 August 2022 15:33:04

Fecking typical. 

I'd much rather that than watch the concrete path on the north side of my house crack and crumble as the clay shrinks beneath it - I only hope the house itself doesn't follow suit.

The drought is starting to cause serious issues (parts of some of the roads locally are starting to dip most alarmingly).

Leysdown, north Kent
fairweather
25 August 2022 23:26:09

Originally Posted by: Retron 

I'd much rather that than watch the concrete path on the north side of my house crack and crumble as the clay shrinks beneath it - I only hope the house itself doesn't follow suit.

The drought is starting to cause serious issues (parts of some of the roads locally are starting to dip most alarmingly).

I moved here in 1976 and the BS wouldn't give me a mortgage unless I had a structural survey as there was so much subsidence around on the London clay. Luckily it turned out my house is built on a concrete raft because at the moment i have 3 inch cracks in the lawn that go down a long long way. I am nervous about my 2 year old porous resin bound drive which was laid on a base when the clay was a slurry due to record October rain. It still looks immaculate but I fear it could crack from below.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
Saint Snow
26 August 2022 09:34:52

Originally Posted by: Jiries 

Does Alton Tower need to be booked?  

Long story.

Anyway, the rain stopped around midday, and the park stayed open an hour longer than normal. We had a great day.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
richardabdn
27 August 2022 08:37:17

Yet another summer month which has collapsed into the toilet. Brilliant first fortnight with 124.9 hours sun but pathetic since then with just 53.8 hours in the past 12 days.

Looks like the worst is yet to come as well with vile murky grot today and a horrifically poor outlook for the rest of the month. Barely any sun likely at all so might not even manage to equal August 2015's total of 188.5 hours never mind achieve 200 hours for the first time since 2003. Absolutely shocking that it can't be reached after such a head start.

This summer is not fit to rank with the all time greats. Nothing like 1976 or 1995. More like a slightly better version of 2019. 

Sadly that is just the reality of the dire eara we are living in. Has become impossible to get top class summer months that can compete with the driest and sunniest the 20th Century had to offer 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Spring Sun Winter Dread
27 August 2022 09:31:20
I actually don't mind a theme park day in the rain... Usually disperses the crowds and queues.
I remember going to Thorpe Park on a truly abysmal cold wet day in June 2002 (started off OK but the heavens opened , sub 15C max, proper October / November vibes).
Most people rushed off home but we stayed ...
I just walked straight onto Colossus, Vortex, Loggers Leap etc again and again , actually ended up getting bored of them ! Better than standing there queueing for hours and getting to go on 3 rides on a sweltering sunny day
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
27 August 2022 10:15:05

Originally Posted by: Spring Sun Winter Dread 

I actually don't mind a theme park day in the rain... Usually disperses the crowds and queues.
I remember going to Thorpe Park on a truly abysmal cold wet day in June 2002 (started off OK but the heavens opened , sub 15C max, proper October / November vibes).
Most people rushed off home but we stayed ...
I just walked straight onto Colossus, Vortex, Loggers Leap etc again and again , actually ended up getting bored of them ! Better than standing there queueing for hours and getting to go on 3 rides on a sweltering sunny day

I generally dislike theme parks, especially in this country where the queues are as bad as anywhere but the food and drink are worse.

My last three theme park days were Legoland Windsor last year when it tipped down for the whole morning before brightening up, Alton Towers in 2019 which was a torrential washout from start to finish and was so bad the rivers around the park flooded that night, and Chessington earlier that year which was chilly with a couple of showers but generally dry. 

Don’t think I’ve ever been to a theme park on a hot day, except for a disappointing trip to Disneyland in California as a teenager (worst day of the holiday - I’ve never really got the whole Disney thing).

Brockley, South East London 30m asl
ARTzeman
27 August 2022 12:07:37

I got fed up watering the plants TWO times a day with a watering can. Glad summer has only a few days left.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Jiries
27 August 2022 13:35:44

Originally Posted by: TimS 

I generally dislike theme parks, especially in this country where the queues are as bad as anywhere but the food and drink are worse.

My last three theme park days were Legoland Windsor last year when it tipped down for the whole morning before brightening up, Alton Towers in 2019 which was a torrential washout from start to finish and was so bad the rivers around the park flooded that night, and Chessington earlier that year which was chilly with a couple of showers but generally dry. 

Don’t think I’ve ever been to a theme park on a hot day, except for a disappointing trip to Disneyland in California as a teenager (worst day of the holiday - I’ve never really got the whole Disney thing).

I also don't like any theme parks as well due to cost and not good as abroad ones.  Last time I went was in Germany Legoland and it was really good and very nice weather but no long quieuing I see. I don't go on the rides as I went mainly to Fabrik Lego shop to get lot of rare parts to bring to the UK.

Meanwhile what going on with this unexpected clouds like yesterday was overcast from early afternoon to sunset and again today. August shaping up to be a very bad month again and not compete with 1995 or 2003 because not seen a decent settled sunny day since the heatwave. not sure why we cannot get sunny days on average temperatures?  Doesn't need to be 33C and sunny but 23-25C sunny would be nice but no longer exist.  January remain the best month than this summer months due to many sunny days recorded.  

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
27 August 2022 16:19:47

Originally Posted by: Jiries 

Meanwhile what going on with this unexpected clouds like yesterday was overcast from early afternoon to sunset and again today. August shaping up to be a very bad month again and not compete with 1995 or 2003 because not seen a decent settled sunny day since the heatwave. not sure why we cannot get sunny days on average temperatures?  Doesn't need to be 33C and sunny but 23-25C sunny would be nice but no longer exist.  January remain the best month than this summer months due to many sunny days recorded.  

Go south, young man!

8.7 hours of sun at Heathrow, 25.8C at Charlwood, Surrey, or Thorney Island recording less than 10% of cloud over daylight hours yesterday

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl