Bolty
12 August 2022 15:18:38
As a few others have noted, there did seem to be a bit of a temperature inversion this morning. When I left work at 06:15, it was 15°C in Manchester city centre, yet at home the low had only been 19.6°C, which is about 110m higher.

Other than that, another scorcher today at 31.0°C, being the highest August temperature since exactly two years ago on 12 August 2020 (though I lived in Manchester then). Tomorrow looks to be the peak, so it could well be the warmest August day since 2003 for these areas.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Rob K
12 August 2022 15:22:27
34.0C was reached at Wiggonholt. Surprising if today has a lower max than yesterday, when the heat is supposed to be building. There does seem to be a bit more breeze.
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
westv
12 August 2022 15:36:24

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

As an aside, after dipping into NW on the odd occassion in years past, I don't know why anyone would prefer that to here. I know the MO thread can get a little fractious at times (the mods do a good job), but that other place is just riddled with snideness, unpleasant digs, and acrimony.

A bit like UIA here. 

At least it will be mild!
Gavin D
12 August 2022 15:53:08

No heatwave on the coast in the north today sea fret has returned

doctormog
12 August 2022 16:05:26

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

Well it is an easterly.  

It certainly is. It is 15.9°C here currently which is about 13°C colder than this time yesterday. 

Bolty
12 August 2022 16:25:38

As an aside, after dipping into NW on the odd occassion in years past, I don't know why anyone would prefer that to here. I know the MO thread can get a little fractious at times (the mods do a good job), but that other place is just riddled with snideness, unpleasant digs, and acrimony.

I don't usually read too much into the MOD thread. It can get a bit too hectic in the winter and it can be hard to keep up, but that's just me.

What I hate on there is all the guilt-tripping and all of the cold vs warm rubbish. In summer, it's "you enjoy heat, so you're happy to see wildfires and people getting heatstroke" and then in winter it's "you like cold, so your happy to see the elderly freeze and the economy slow down" or "you like mild and wet, so you like people being flooded" and all that crap. It get's pathetic.

You wonder why some of them are even weather enthusiasts to begin with.

Scott
My weather station 
Joe Bloggs
12 August 2022 16:37:05

The regional threads are great though. 👍 The NW one is usually pretty friendly. 

Manchester City Centre, 31m ASL

Bolty
12 August 2022 16:48:00

Originally Posted by: Joe Bloggs 

The regional threads are great though. 👍 The NW one is usually pretty friendly. 

Yes, I always remember the North West thread being a good one. It was always the MOD and the General Season Chat threads that got toxic.

Scott
My weather station 
Rob K
12 August 2022 17:05:04

34.5 looks like today's max, so just higher than yesterday. GFS has notched the temp for tomorrow down again, 35 rather than 36.

The heat has been impressive but slightly lower than originally modelled. It was looking like 4 or 5 days above 35C at one stage, but we may only end up with 1 or 2, if that.

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
12 August 2022 18:44:57

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

34.5 looks like today's max, so just higher than yesterday. GFS has notched the temp for tomorrow down again, 35 rather than 36.

The heat has been impressive but slightly lower than originally modelled. It was looking like 4 or 5 days above 35C at one stage, but we may only end up with 1 or 2, if that.

Where did you get the 34.5? I’m still seeing news media quoting the Wiggonholt 34.0 figure. 

EDIT: just seen this repeated officially. 

Brockley, South East London 30m asl
scillydave
12 August 2022 19:15:09
Some local records beaten today - Milford Haven in the far South West of Wales recorded its highest ever temperature with 30.8c, similarly Mumbles Head had its hottest day ever with 31.2c

Down in the Southwest of England Camborne tied its all time record (set just weeks ago in July) with 30.4c and Plymouth had its hottest August day on record with 32.7c

My old stomping ground - the Isles of Scilly hit 24c (I can't find the granular detail) but that puts it very close to the all time high there of 25c.

Certainly a very note worthy spell of weather here in the Southwest

Currently living at roughly 65m asl North of Cowbridge in the Vale of Glamorgan.

Formerly of, Birdlip, highest village in the Cotswolds and snow heaven in winter; Hawkinge in Kent - roof of the South downs and Isles of Scilly, paradise in the UK.
Rob K
12 August 2022 20:12:15

Originally Posted by: TimS 

Where did you get the 34.5? I’m still seeing news media quoting the Wiggonholt 34.0 figure. 

EDIT: just seen this repeated officially. 

As per the raw data on weatherobs.com the max was 307.64K which is 34.49C.

The Met Office also quoted it on Twitter as 34.5.

picturesareme
13 August 2022 01:19:31
Wasn't worth making a thread for this but whilst it's still 23.5C outside at 2.15am I was looking into cold summer nights and oddly most have happened in the past 50 year's.

15/31 of the coldest July night's on record have happened in the last 50 year's.

20/31 of the coldest August nights have happened in the last 50 year's.
Ally Pally Snowman
13 August 2022 06:30:15

Ireland had its hottest ever August day yesterday 31.7c in Oak Park County Carlow.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-62517335.amp&ved=2ahUKEwiYqvnJmMP5AhWkoVwKHQWiDYAQFnoECAcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw33yq-MCWZY_CQqJGjIJMer

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
TimS
  • TimS
13 August 2022 08:51:58
So far the vineyard heating up about 1C ahead of yesterday. 28C at 10.45
TimS
  • TimS
13 August 2022 09:40:19

I see Newquay is leading the pack at 10.30 with 30C. How often does that happen?

Remarkably also 28C already in Penzance and Lands End, and 24C in St Mary’s in the Isles of Scilly.

Anyone know the hottest Cornish day on record?

Nick Gilly
13 August 2022 13:16:18

Originally Posted by: TimS 

I see Newquay is leading the pack at 10.30 with 30C. How often does that happen?

Remarkably also 28C already in Penzance and Lands End, and 24C in St Mary’s in the Isles of Scilly.

Anyone know the hottest Cornish day on record?

Until recently it was 33.9C which was set in 1976, but Bude smashed that on 18th July 2022 with 36C:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-62203435

I doubt that'll get beaten in this current heatwave.

Ally Pally Snowman
13 August 2022 13:23:47

Charlwood 34.3c hopefully squeeze a 35c today. 

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Hungry Tiger
13 August 2022 13:48:37

A great poster to have, with his superb stats. I don't recall him having a fall-out with anyone, so can't understand hy he's left (although he did have a period of not posting a few years ago, too)

Global Warming is another who's just stopped all contributions, mid-way through the CET comp, without any explanation (which I think is rather bloody out of order).

FrankH has brilliantly taken over the running of the CET comp, but obviously GW has all the previous data, and was great at the graphical presentation aspect of it.

Don't know what's going to happen with this comp going forwards, but it's a big part of TWO for me (and to a lot of others, I know)

Good post Saint. Well said.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Hungry Tiger
13 August 2022 13:49:11

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

Charlwood 34.3c hopefully squeeze a 35c today. 

Wondered what the highest is today.

I've noticed there is a welcome breeze.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.