SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
15 July 2022 11:45:56
I was more restrained on my twitter, but I am disgusted by the red warning avoiding Sheffield, particularly the city centre.

Temperatures there are just as high as places a little further east. 37Β°C Sheffield centre going by the MetO site: amber. 37Β°C for Dinnington: red. 35Β°C for Manchester: red.

This will breed complacency and confusion IMO. Very, very disappointed in the Met πŸ‘Ž Needs to be updated asap.

Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .

πŸ“’ Play the TWO Forums Quiz!  πŸ“’

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
15 July 2022 12:19:14

Originally Posted by: SJV 

I was more restrained on my twitter, but I am disgusted by the red warning avoiding Sheffield, particularly the city centre.
Temperatures there are just as high as places a little further east. 37°C Sheffield centre going by the MetO site: amber. 37°C for Dinnington: red. 35°C for Manchester: red.

This will breed complacency and confusion IMO. Very, very disappointed in the Met πŸ‘Ž Needs to be updated asap.

Well the line has to go somewhere. And you can hardly expect them to change it everytime the areas of expected greatest heat shifts a little.

Col

Bolton, Lancashire

160m asl

Snow videos:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg

Tim A
15 July 2022 12:27:57

For this type of warning I would agree to going back to Local Authority boundaries or even Counties.

I am in amber but 3 miles down the road is red. If red means closure and amber doesn't (I am not sure) could mean some local schools/services are open but others not.
The sketched warning areas are good for snow though as it literally can be wet on the lower part of some cities which slope into the Pennines and white on the other side and can also help where there are streamers 

But for 1c difference in a heatwave just do it by Local Authority areas.

Lets see what happens anyway

Tim

NW Leeds

187m asl

Surrey John
15 July 2022 13:31:43

Originally Posted by: Tim A 

For this type of warning I would agree to going back to Local Authority boundaries or even Counties.

I am in amber but 3 miles down the road is red. If red means closure and amber doesn't (I am not sure) could mean some local schools/services are open but others not.
The sketched warning areas are good for snow though as it literally can be wet on the lower part of some cities which slope into the Pennines and white on the other side and can also help where there are streamers 

But for 1c difference in a heatwave just do it by Local Authority areas.

Lets see what happens anyway

Not sure that will help, I have lived near local authority borders, and in three different homes over the years, some primary children and secondary schools were either side, painful for some families when half terms were set as different weeks.

But actually I am not convinced some childrens homes would be safer than a school building, so suggesting schools should close could cause different problems 

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

35m ASL

White Meadows
15 July 2022 13:34:25
Schools in my area are not being closed, just told to drink more water.

Apparently there’s another COBRA meeting going on this afternoon and to expect more updates later on.

Ally Pally Snowman
15 July 2022 13:36:29

Schools are not closing at. My boys primary school have just emailed that they will keep them in the shade on Monday and Tuesday at break times. πŸ˜„

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
15 July 2022 14:35:52

Originally Posted by: Col 

Well the line has to go somewhere. And you can hardly expect them to change it everytime the areas of expected greatest heat shifts a little.

That line should cover a major city with temperatures comparable to nearby cities that are under a red. It is a no brainer.

Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .

Heavy Weather 2013
15 July 2022 14:45:14

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

Schools are not closing at. My boys primary school have just emailed that they will keep them in the shade on Monday and Tuesday at break times. πŸ˜„

Id keep them home from School. 

Mark

Beckton, E London

Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.

Ally Pally Snowman
15 July 2022 15:04:51

Originally Posted by: Heavy Weather 2013 

Id keep them home from School. 

I'm working and my wife is a teacher so its difficult.  But we'll see what happens. Maybe they will shut schools but I doubt it 

SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
15 July 2022 15:37:57
Our school is planning to open on Monday morning, though a site assessment will be carried out before the school day begins.

A letter went out telling parents that the school could still close during the day should conditions become too hot. I daresay we'll hit that threshold pretty early on Monday morning!

That guidance would have occurred even if we were in the red, which I suppose we still could be at some point. Still a stupid oversight from the Met, though I'm not too surprised as they have very odd boundaries for snow warnings, too. Their maps just do not have a good correlation with the hills to the west, it would seem. it's like they're 20 miles too far east!

idj20
15 July 2022 15:42:42

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

Seems a bit pointless as the Summer holiday is just around the corner and kids won't be learning anything. Might as well just bring the Summer holiday a few days forward.

Folkestone Harbour.Β 
Ally Pally Snowman
15 July 2022 15:43:39

Originally Posted by: idj20 

Seems a bit pointless as the Summer holiday is just around the corner and kids won't be learning anything. Might as well just bring the Summer holiday a few days forward.

Makes complete sense so definitely won't happen. 

Retron
15 July 2022 15:49:41

Here's the forecast from the BBC for 40C, plus the mention of thousands of people dying. At least it's being taken seriously - I just hope the population at large pays attention!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather

"This is dangerous, unprecedented heat."

EXTERNAL IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page.

Jiries
15 July 2022 15:54:47

Originally Posted by: Retron 

Here's the forecast from the BBC for 40C, plus the mention of thousands of people dying. At least it's being taken seriously - I just hope the population at large pays attention!

Watched it already and really surreal to see 40C on the UK map, always see that in Cyprus Map.

Retron
15 July 2022 16:17:54

Wow.

(Raining at 25C is unusual too, for three hours on Wednesday!)

John p
15 July 2022 16:28:20

I didn’t hear that mentioned - was it taken out?

Retron
15 July 2022 16:33:05

Originally Posted by: John p 

I didn’t hear that mentioned - was it taken out?

No, the clip has been updated since then. Shame I couldn't save a copy, really, it was quite casually mentioned too.

EDIT: If you're quick, go here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcnews

and go back to 15:57.

Nick Gilly
15 July 2022 16:43:22

No, the clip has been updated since then. Shame I couldn't save a copy, really, it was quite casually mentioned too.

EDIT: If you're quick, go here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcnews

and go back to 15:57.

Or alternatively go here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62177458

It's the video at the head of the article.

SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
16 July 2022 07:45:11
Will be interesting to see if the red warning area is updated today.

johncs2016
16 July 2022 07:56:00

Originally Posted by: White Meadows 

Schools in my area are not being closed, just told to drink more water.
Apparently there’s another COBRA meeting going on this afternoon and to expect more updates later on.

It's a good job then, that the schools here in Scotland are already on holiday with that having been the case since the beginning of this month.

That is therefore, an issue which we don't have to deal with up here and so, I would imagine that a number of southerners at least, must be wishing at the moment that the English schools had followed suit.

However, the fact that the English schools holidays are a lot later than the Scottish school holidays has always been the case as far as I know.

Having said that though, it was only really in the late 2000s/early 2010s that I discovered that because I can remember travelling down to the small town of Sandy in Bedfordshire at that around that time at around this time of the year, only to discovered that the schools were not yet on holiday, even though our own Scottish schools had already been on holiday for quite a while.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.