johncs2016
10 July 2022 18:39:47

Here in Edinburgh, a completely sunny afternoon and evening up until now means that a total of 12.7 hours of sunshine has now been recorded for today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 7pm BST (18:00 UTC) this evening.

There is still more than two hours to go until sunset as I write and we only need at least another 1.5 hours of sunshine between now and then in order for today to go down as our sunniest day of this year so far.

Unlike on other recent nights, there isn't any cloud around which could potentially scupper those chances and so, it is probably almost certain that we will end up getting over that finishing line this time.

The only caveat here is that the days are now shortening which means that as a result of the continuous sunshine from sunrise and (and is looking increasingly likely) to sunset, today's total also looks certain to be this year's highest total in the overall final statistics for this year.

Today was also our hottest day of this year so far by quite a considerable amount as today's maximum temperature was 26.9°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank and at least 27.1°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

That also makes today the first time this year that a temperature of 80°F or above has been recorded here in Edinburgh.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 7pm BST (18:00 UTC) this evening was still up at around 24°C here in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
johncs2016
10 July 2022 20:32:54

I can confirm that today will now go down as our sunniest day of this year so far as a total of 14.7 hours of sunshine has now been recorded for today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 9pm BST (20:00 UTC) this evening at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

As I write, there appears to be a little bit of cloud to my west and NW which is now obscuring those last rays of sunshine before sunset but even with that and for the reasons which I described in my last post on this thread, today's final figure (whatever that ends up as) is probably now unlikely to be beaten at any time during the rest of this year.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 9pm BST (20:00 UTC) this evening has dropped quite a lot during the last hour, but is still up at around 21°C here in Edinburgh.

EDIT:

In the end, a total of 15.1 hours of sunshine was recorded for today at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.