Rob K
22 June 2022 15:18:06
This second mini hot spell seems to have cropped up out of nowhere, as it was originally looking fairly cool and unsettled after the weekend.

26.6C the max yesterday (Leconfield) and looks like around 28C today (27.9C at Heathrow the reported max so far).
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
doctormog
22 June 2022 15:21:26
It reached a very respectable 25°C here today.
Rob K
22 June 2022 21:10:02
Leconfield pipped Heathrow to the top spot once again today, 28.0C so 0.1C higher than Heathrow. That's two days on the trot, not a station I have seen take the top summer temp before.
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
picturesareme
22 June 2022 21:17:18

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

Leconfield pipped Heathrow to the top spot once again today, 28.0C so 0.1C higher than Heathrow. That's two days on the trot, not a station I have seen take the top summer temp before.

Is that official? We hit 28C down here today with even Thorney having had an hourly temp of 27C, and that's a station kind of outside of any built up areas. Gosport is a station that the met office don't typically release info on until the end of the day, and it is normally hotter - occasionally a UK hotspot. What about Hurn? Gosport station being stuck on the northeast coast out in Portsmouth harbour almost doesn't tend to fair well in easterly winds because of the immediate proximity to the water.

Tim A
22 June 2022 22:23:31

Leconfield is definitely official, with a westerly breeze like today it is well sheltered from the maritime influence.
At one time this afternoon whilst it was 28c there, it was only 18c under clear skies at Stonyhurst near Blackburn , with the sea breeze extending well inland. Sharp temp gradient west to east . Reached 23c here at 12.30 then didn't climb any further for the same reason. A strange day.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

GezM
  • GezM
  • Advanced Member
23 June 2022 09:51:41

All eyes on the north of England for today's heat. Cloud and rain has already pushed into southern parts and will obviously suppress temperatures down here. As well as the prolonged sunshine further north, the upper air temperatures are high all the way up the east of the UK today. This includes the Fife, Angus area of Scotland where there is a tongue of 12C 850HPa air. 

It will be interesting to see if parts of Eastern Scotland enjoy the heat at the surface too. 

Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)
Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)
Tim A
23 June 2022 09:55:17

Possibly somewhere like Leeming could have the official UK high today at about 28c.
Leeds Weather Centre/Linton-on ooze and Church Fenton would have been candidates if they were still operational.

Cloud is marching NW though, seems to be about at the Wash down to Severn Estuary at the moment. 

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
23 June 2022 10:58:18
In the far SE where it’s cleared the temperatures are quite handy too. Currently 24.3C in Pett Bottom.
Brockley, South East London 30m asl
Jiries
23 June 2022 12:01:15

Originally Posted by: Tim A 

Possibly somewhere like Leeming could have the official UK high today at about 28c.
Leeds Weather Centre/Linton-on ooze and Church Fenton would have been candidates if they were still operational.

Cloud is marching NW though, seems to be about at the Wash down to Severn Estuary at the moment. 

Make me wonder why they remove interesting weather stations that give actual high temperatures? York was 29C last week and that far north to get the heat but knowing that York does well in heatwaves from my time in 1985 to 1990 school days in Boston Spa, I used to see York goes to 30-31C during school terms every year,.  

Went up to 28.5C this late morning before unexpected overcast skies come up to ruin it.  Thought you expect some clouds forming but not full on overcast thin clouds.

Talking about closing interesting weather stations but keeping open other stations in areas that give mild nights mainly to keep CET above average false readings so they closed stations that give cooler nights like Redhill, Benson, etc.

Tim A
23 June 2022 14:03:44
Reached 27.1c here, so joint highest of the year so far, sunny spells as we speak but there is lots of cloud so unsure whether it will go higher.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Rob K
23 June 2022 14:34:23

Originally Posted by: Jiries 

Talking about closing interesting weather stations but keeping open other stations in areas that give mild nights mainly to keep CET above average false readings so they closed stations that give cooler nights like Redhill, Benson, etc.

Redhill has gone but Benson is still an official station for now! Rickmansworth was another classic frost-hollow station that has been consigned to the history books.

As for today's temperatures, Hawarden looks like the leader with a 27.6C hourly reading at 3pm.

Jiries
23 June 2022 14:57:55

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

Redhill has gone but Benson is still an official station for now! Rickmansworth was another classic frost-hollow station that has been consigned to the history books.

As for today's temperatures, Hawarden looks like the leader with a 27.6C hourly reading at 3pm.

Rickmansworth used to be the hottest every time during 1995 summer I remember so they decided to shut down because of that.   If those nasty clouds did not come up some where would hit 30C today, here would had been was 28.5C at 11.30am with over 4 hours to go for hottest time.

GezM
  • GezM
  • Advanced Member
23 June 2022 15:23:16

Originally Posted by: Jiries 

Make me wonder why they remove interesting weather stations that give actual high temperatures? York was 29C last week and that far north to get the heat but knowing that York does well in heatwaves from my time in 1985 to 1990 school days in Boston Spa, I used to see York goes to 30-31C during school terms every year,.  

Went up to 28.5C this late morning before unexpected overcast skies come up to ruin it.  Thought you expect some clouds forming but not full on overcast thin clouds.

Also, urban areas are where most people actually live so surely it is more representative of what most people are experiencing. I know that operationally rural or airport sites are easier to maintain because there is less risk of external impacts affecting the readings (roads, buildings etc.) which means that the records are more homogeneous. And then you get the heat island argument but I'd certainly prefer to see a Leeds City Centre weather station than use the one a few hundred feet higher at Leeds/Bradford Airport ....

Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)
Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)
Crepuscular Ray
23 June 2022 16:01:28
25 C here in Ambleside today with strong sun all day again. Increasingly humid though late afternoon
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Bolty
23 June 2022 16:28:58

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

25 C here in Ambleside today with strong sun all day again. Increasingly humid though late afternoon

Similar to here. It peaked at 26.7°C for me, before turning cloudier and increasingly humid. Some showers are skirting around now too, but they seem to have missed me.

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Rob K
23 June 2022 20:45:19
Hawarden 28.2C looks like the hottest.
A late surge from Heathrow, with the highest hourly figure being at 5pm today but it could only reach 26.7C.
johncs2016
23 June 2022 21:24:46
Today was our warmest day of the year so far here in Edinburgh with a maximum temperature of 23.4°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

Today's highest recorded temperature reading at Edinburgh Airport was 23°C but the highest temperatures for today here in Edinburgh were 23.5°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh and 23.9°C at Swanston in the south of Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Tim A
24 June 2022 07:28:43
Could be a be a 25c today across Yorkshire, NE or East Anglia today before the cloud builds
Currently lovely and sunny here and 18.2c.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

speckledjim
24 June 2022 07:30:22

Originally Posted by: Tim A 

Could be a be a 25c today across Yorkshire, NE or East Anglia today before the cloud builds
Currently lovely and sunny here and 18.2c.

Playing golf this afternoon so keeping fingers crossed I avoid the showers 

Thorner, West Yorkshire

Journalism is organised gossip
Tim A
24 June 2022 12:32:00
Still fair at Headingley where I am and warm at 22c-23c with sunny spells.
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl