SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
Friday, June 10, 2022 4:06:04 PM
I'm sure I won't say the same tomorrow, but the wind has been very pleasant today. It has felt rather warm in the sunshine, and that SW breeze has taken the edge off the heat quite nicely.

I do agree though, hopefully this summer won't be defined by otherwise gorgeous days been sullied somewhat by the wind.

Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .
richardabdn
Saturday, June 11, 2022 8:59:24 AM

Good news for a change. It's been an excellent start to summer with the first third of June beating last year as the sunniest I have recorded 

Sunshine hours for the first 10 days of June:

2007 woeful beyond comprehension and I still have nightmares about that super-revolting month. The full monthly total for that pile of garbage has already been surpassed by this month and closing in on 2012 as well.

Surprising to see 2015 so high on the list as all I recall about that month is the wretched spell of permacast hell in the second half. Flew out to Ibiza on the 24th having barely seen the sun for a week and that day was the coldest so late in the summer since 1978.It was just ridiculously awful and 2015 was the third year in less than a decade (along with 2007 and 2012) where the dullest week of the year occurred in summer 

Hopefully we've moved past that nonsense now but mid-June does seem to be the worst time for the permacast. Very disappointing today with high cloud cover although the sun has been shining more frequently than expected given the cloud amounts. The worst aspect is the appalling wind. Sick to death of it. It's been a year of relentless Force 4/5 winds even with 1040mb highs 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2022 - The Latest Year of Horror Seasonless 21st Century Tripe

19th - 25th January 2022: 41.6 hours sunshine

19th - 25th July 2022: 24.6 hours sunshine

Saint Snow
Saturday, June 11, 2022 9:31:36 AM

Multiple thuds heard around the country as jaws collectively hit the floor

Martin

Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)

A TWO addict since 14/12/01

"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."

Aneurin Bevan

Saint Snow
Saturday, June 11, 2022 9:33:28 AM

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

A fresh breeze is nice on a 27°C day, not an average temperature day.

Love a stiff breeze on a hot day, not when it's low-20s or late-teens. 

Martin

Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)

A TWO addict since 14/12/01

"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."

Aneurin Bevan

johncs2016
Saturday, June 11, 2022 9:45:03 AM

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

"Ruined" probably was too strong of a word, to be fair. There have been quite a few cases so far this year though where it (the wind) has shown up on a warmer day.

Contrast that to early in the week when it was calm.

Believe it or not, some of our hottest days of the year here in Edinburgh can actually happen when it's windy.

It can be blowing a gale here with the wind coming from between the south and SW, but that usually always results in us being sheltered by the Pentland Hills to our south which can then cause a Foehn Effect here which at this time of the year, can raise our temperatures to not all that far short of 30°C under the right synoptic setup.

As a result, it should therefore come as no surprise that this summer's first temperature of over 20°C came yesterday on a day when it was very windy.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.

Gavin D
Tuesday, June 14, 2022 2:19:10 PM
Level 2 Heat-Health Alert issued for parts of England from 00:00 Friday to 00:00 Sunday

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/?tab=heatHealth&season=normal#?tab=heatHealth 

Chunky Pea
Thursday, June 16, 2022 10:27:09 PM

Very, very dull here in Galway snice June came in. Really can't remember the last time I have seen the sun. Just a heavy layer of grey pretty much every day. Still, very pleasant to be out and about in all the same. Never very warm or particularly humid at any stage, which suits me down to the ground.  

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"

--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022

Bolty
Tuesday, June 21, 2022 4:19:52 PM
I love the short nights at this time of year.

This is a time-lapse I did last night with the perpetual "night-long" twilight lingering on the northern horizon. There was the added bonus of a new noctilucent clouds in the early hours too:

Scott

Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.

My weather station 

richardabdn
Tuesday, June 21, 2022 4:24:56 PM
This summer is turning into a disaster after getting off to such a promising start.

Just a repeat of last week with more utterly dire, demoralising, mind-numbing non-weather cloudfest horror which I detest with every bone in my body 

Repulsive grey all day long without a single break. It's unreal. Summer days 17 hours long completely ruined by putrid grey blankets that can't even break for an hour or two 

What the hell happened to days with 4/5/6 oktas of cumulus that used to be classed as normal summer weather? Virtually non-existent now. Absolutely sick to death of what has happened to summer in the 21st Century.

Illustrates perfectly why there are no longer any summer months with moderately above average sunshine. Because unless there is a high directly overhead, that produces well above average sunshine, everything else produces this ridiculous overcast horror like nothing on earth we ever used to get in summer.

Talking of hideous cyclonic set-ups, the rest of the month looks a horrific washout with endless cloud and rain. Weekend looks on a par with the worst 2007 and 2012 had to offer 

Each vile grey day moves closer to March ending up the sunniest month of the year which is ludicrous and sums up perfectly why this is the worst era ever for weather.

Getting ever closer to two years on the trot when the warmest month of the year has a single figure max when this never happened before. Utterly surreal and depressing in equal measure.

Only get sunshine when it's freezing cold and windy and the warm months are just a cloud infested write-off year after year 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2022 - The Latest Year of Horror Seasonless 21st Century Tripe

19th - 25th January 2022: 41.6 hours sunshine

19th - 25th July 2022: 24.6 hours sunshine

johncs2016
Tuesday, June 21, 2022 5:25:19 PM

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Talking of hideous cyclonic set-ups, the rest of the month looks a horrific washout with endless cloud and rain. Weekend looks on a par with the worst 2007 and 2012 had to offer 

I can see that you and Moomin75 would get on very well together.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.

Crepuscular Ray
Tuesday, June 21, 2022 7:13:15 PM
Not the best year to spend in Cumbria!

Still only seen 21 C Max and a lot of cloud, like today

Not the copious amounts of rain though. Thats reserved for the weekend when we have a walking weekend in Wasdale!

Jerry

Edinburgh south (under Blackford Hill 164m)

xioni2
Wednesday, June 22, 2022 9:30:12 PM

Oh those amazing long June evenings.

SE England has among the best summer climates in the world! 

Stay calm and support Ukraine
Joe Bloggs
Wednesday, June 22, 2022 9:43:37 PM

I love this time of year.

Just after 10.30pm at night and I can see the sunset reflecting on Manchester’s skyline. 

UserPostedImage

Manchester City Centre, 31m ASL

doctormog
Wednesday, June 22, 2022 9:49:43 PM

It’s a lovely evening here too currently https://www.seacroftmarine.com/webcams/north-webcam/ 

At 10:50 pm

EXTERNAL IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page.

Joe Bloggs
Wednesday, June 22, 2022 9:57:41 PM

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

It’s a lovely evening here too currently https://www.seacroftmarine.com/webcams/north-webcam/ 

At 10:50 pm

👍👍👍👍👍👍 Magical. 

EXTERNAL IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page.

Manchester City Centre, 31m ASL