Wind WNW light breeze

Temp 11C

Veteran of winter of 62/63
By Scapa Flow, Orkney
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
21 June 2022 06:39:40
A frankly parky 3.6C minimum at the Pett Bottom site this morning. Probably the coldest PWS in Kent (as it often is on still nights).
Brockley, South East London 30m asl
johncs2016
21 June 2022 07:06:06

Happy Summer Solstice everyone.

From here, the gradual descent towards winter starts as it will now very slowly and gradually start to get darker at nights again from now on.

However, too much cloud in the way prevented any decent view last night of what would have been the most spectacular view of the entire year, of the lingering overnight twilight which occurs as a result of the nights being so short at this time of the year.

However, last night was a lot warmer than the previous night as a result of all of that cloud cover and last night's overnight temperature at Edinburgh Gogarbank was 12.6°C which is much more typical of what we should be expecting at this time of the year (it is summer after all).

In addition to that, there was even a little bit of rain during the early hours of this morning.

That rain has now cleared away after resulting in a total of just 1.0 mm of rain being recorded at Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 0.4 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

I don't want to be seeing any water shortages and/or restrictions here and don't really enjoy having to go on about that on this forum but if we really want to be preventing any of that from actually happening before too long, our totals need to much better than that and be occurring more regularly than what we are seeing just now.

As I write, it it still overcast although I'm sure that the Sun will probably make its usual appearance before too long with the usual dry weather still ongoing.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 7am BST (06:00 UTC) this morning was around 13°C here in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
idj20
21 June 2022 10:21:35

Fair but with quite a lot of high cloud courtesy of France. 

A pleasantly mild-feeling 18.5 C & 77% H, especially as winds has fallen light.

Folkestone Harbour. 
picturesareme
21 June 2022 10:25:03
Sunny

22C
ARTzeman
21 June 2022 10:38:00

Partly Sunny. 18.0c Humidity 63% Rh.

ENE Breeze 2mph. Pressure 1015 hPa.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Tim A
21 June 2022 10:56:29
21.2c with long sunny spells.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

johncs2016
21 June 2022 13:25:59

Today has remained every bit as bone dry here in Edinburgh as I expected it to be, other than just the slightest smidgen of drizzle which I felt in the air when I have been out and about.

However, the Sun still hasn't come out here. It remains mostly overcast here and although there has been the odd break in that cloud, none of those breaks have been in the right place up until now to allow us to see even as much as a glimpse of the Sun.

As a result, absolutely nothing in the way of sunshine has been recorded for today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 2pm BST (13:00 UTC) this afternoon.

However, the temperature at 2pm BST (13:00 UTC) this afternoon here in Edinburgh was around 17°C which isn't all that far away from the average for this time of the year, so you can imagine from that, that it could actually get quite warm here today if only the Sun was to actually come out.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
buachaille
21 June 2022 16:05:52

Partly sunny (c 60%), 21.7C, v gentle SW breeze

(Feels like models are somewhat overstating the gloom and doom up here, as it has been "mostly" very pleasant and summery for a number of days. And 33mm of rain mtd, most of which fell in two bursts)

Tim A
21 June 2022 16:12:35
23.8c and sunny now, glorious out there.
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
21 June 2022 16:15:07

Originally Posted by: TimS 

A frankly parky 3.6C minimum at the Pett Bottom site this morning. Probably the coldest PWS in Kent (as it often is on still nights).

Topped out at 22.0, so a diurnal range of 18.4C

Brockley, South East London 30m asl
Tim A
21 June 2022 18:15:10

Such a lovely evening, bright warm sunshine and still 23.0c, perfect gift on the longest day.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

johncs2016
21 June 2022 18:57:07

There is now a lot more in the way of blue sky here in Edinburgh than what there was earlier on, but hardly any of that is actually getting into the right place for us to be able to see any decent sunshine.

That is means that although today is the longest day in terms of daylight hours, that hasn't prevented a total of just 1.5 hours of sunshine from being recorded for the whole of today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 7pm BST (18:00 UTC) this evening which is a lot less than the maximum amount of possible sunshine which we could get even on the winter solstice, and that is very poor indeed.

However, there's been nothing wrong with today's temperatures despite that lack of sunshine and today's maximum temperature at Edinburgh Gogarbank still managed to reach 20.6°C.

Even at 7pm BST (18:00 UTC) this evening, the temperature here in Edinburgh was still around 20°C.