Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

42 Pages«<39404142>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DEW  
#801 Posted : 13 February 2022 17:17:59(UTC)
DEW

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 05/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 17,756
Man
Location: Chichester 12m. asl

Bumblebee visiting the winter flowering honeysuckle today before the rain started

"The sky was an exquisitely deep blue just then, with filmy white clouds drawn up over it like gauze"
Offline Roger Parsons  
#802 Posted : 13 February 2022 17:23:29(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 23/11/2008(UTC)
Posts: 9,487
Man
Location: Lincolnshire

Originally Posted by: DEW Go to Quoted Post


Bumblebee visiting the winter flowering honeysuckle today before the rain started



Now then, David. That would be a Queen bumblebee - but which of the common spring species?


Spring Bees - Discover Wildlife


https://www.discoverwildlife.com/how-to/identify-wildlife/how-to-identify-spring-bees/


Roger


 

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Offline DEW  
#803 Posted : 13 February 2022 19:58:02(UTC)
DEW

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 05/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 17,756
Man
Location: Chichester 12m. asl

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons Go to Quoted Post


 


Now then, David. That would be a Queen bumblebee - but which of the common spring species?


Spring Bees - Discover Wildlife


https://www.discoverwildlife.com/how-to/identify-wildlife/how-to-identify-spring-bees/


Roger


 



Buff-tailed, I reckon

"The sky was an exquisitely deep blue just then, with filmy white clouds drawn up over it like gauze"
Offline ARTzeman  
#804 Posted : 13 February 2022 21:54:49(UTC)
ARTzeman

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 14/07/2012(UTC)
Posts: 30,201
Man
Location: Peasedown St John. N.E. Sommerset

WEATHER LORE CALENDAR


If bees get out in February, the next day will be windy and rainy.



Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Offline Roger Parsons  
#805 Posted : 14 February 2022 07:02:58(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 23/11/2008(UTC)
Posts: 9,487
Man
Location: Lincolnshire

Thanks, Dew. Buff-tailed sounds good.


A corespondent has send me the following links about hedgerows.

Benefits of healthy hedgerows:
https://hedgerowsurvey.ptes.org/the-benefits-of-healthy-hedgerows



Hedge lifecycle
https://hedgerowsurvey.ptes.org/hedge-management-cycle



History of hedgerows poster
https://ptes.org/hedgerow/a-history-of-hedgerows/




Roger

Edited by user 15 February 2022 07:27:38(UTC)  | Reason: edit

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Offline ARTzeman  
#806 Posted : 14 February 2022 09:18:50(UTC)
ARTzeman

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 14/07/2012(UTC)
Posts: 30,201
Man
Location: Peasedown St John. N.E. Sommerset

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons Go to Quoted Post


 


Who said that, Art? Not heard it as a saying, though it is certainly true-ish, as I explained.


Roger


Weather Lore Calendar Old Farmers Almanac. 



Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Offline speckledjim  
#807 Posted : 23 February 2022 13:41:11(UTC)
speckledjim

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 02/07/2006(UTC)
Posts: 6,441
Location: Thorner, West Yorkshire 112m asl

Mowed my lawn for the first time this year and very satisfying it was too. Looking forward to getting out a lot more and preparing for Spring
Thorner, West Yorkshire
Journalism is organised gossip
Offline MRazzell  
#808 Posted : 24 February 2022 08:31:03(UTC)
MRazzell

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 15/02/2021(UTC)
Posts: 45
United Kingdom
Location: Crowborough, East Sussex

Originally Posted by: speckledjim Go to Quoted Post
Mowed my lawn for the first time this year and very satisfying it was too. Looking forward to getting out a lot more and preparing for Spring


 


Theres something very chathartic about picking up all that winter crud and detritus into the mower box and looking out onto a 'clean' lawn in the spring.


All eyes on the models at the minute as we enter march. I'm hoping a reliable stint of mild weather emerges so i can germinate and plant out some of the more 'sensitive' species by the months end (although its starting to look potentially cold in the FI timeframe).


Hopefully by the middle of the month the outlook improves and can move on to something a bit more conducive to gardening - I don't think I could take another April like 2021!

Matt.
Offline Roger Parsons  
#809 Posted : 09 March 2022 20:48:08(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 23/11/2008(UTC)
Posts: 9,487
Man
Location: Lincolnshire

Originally Posted by: MRazzell Go to Quoted Post


Theres something very chathartic about picking up all that winter crud and detritus into the mower box and looking out onto a 'clean' lawn in the spring.


All eyes on the models at the minute as we enter march. I'm hoping a reliable stint of mild weather emerges so i can germinate and plant out some of the more 'sensitive' species by the months end (although its starting to look potentially cold in the FI timeframe).


Hopefully by the middle of the month the outlook improves and can move on to something a bit more conducive to gardening - I don't think I could take another April like 2021!



Had the mower serviced last week and today mowed the lawn on bridge sunshine! Call me Mr Smug! Not too greedy a cut, just a tidying up so it's ready to grow. The planned wild area I am leaving a bit to see if it need a light trim to make management easier long-term. It was a great success last year. Lots of native species. We are pleased to see Cudweed on the list again this year.


Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Offline llamedos  
#810 Posted : 05 May 2022 09:38:38(UTC)
llamedos

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 32,611
Man
Location: Hertfordshire

Good article worth reading, about ornithologist research at Wytham Woods in Oxfordshire. I couldn't believe how many caterpillars are brought to a nest of tits with an average number of nestlings ......


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61314226 

"Life with the Lions"

TWO Moderator
Offline Roger Parsons  
#811 Posted : 05 May 2022 12:40:00(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 23/11/2008(UTC)
Posts: 9,487
Man
Location: Lincolnshire

Originally Posted by: llamedos Go to Quoted Post


Good article worth reading, about ornithologist research at Wytham Woods in Oxfordshire. I couldn't believe how many caterpillars are brought to a nest of tits with an average number of nestlings ......


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61314226



Yes, llamados - I read that earlier today and thought it very interesting. Ties in with the local picture here.


Did you also notice:


Flying insects splatting on cars have dropped by 60 per cent in UK


https://www.newscientist.com/article/2318621-flying-insects-splatting-on-cars-have-dropped-by-60-per-cent-in-uk/


Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Offline NMA  
#812 Posted : 15 May 2022 08:30:10(UTC)
NMA

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 05/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 3,894
Man
Location: South Dorset

Right I'm off for the day. It'll be be one of those days that when I return the garden will seem to have junglified in a few hours.


I wonder whether this is the start of a weather pattern change from dry to wet? If it is I'll be no doubt moaning in a few weeks about wouldn't it be nice to have some dry settled weather. 


 

Offline Roger Parsons  
#813 Posted : 01 June 2022 08:20:38(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 23/11/2008(UTC)
Posts: 9,487
Man
Location: Lincolnshire

An excellent piece about managing your lawn for wildlife.

How to make your lawn wildlife friendly all year round – tips from an ecologist
https://theconversation....from-an-ecologist-183692

Roger
RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Offline Gandalf The White  
#814 Posted : 01 June 2022 09:17:22(UTC)
Gandalf The White

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 51,762
Man

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons Go to Quoted Post
An excellent piece about managing your lawn for wildlife.

How to make your lawn wildlife friendly all year round – tips from an ecologist
https://theconversation.com/how-to-make-your-lawn-wildlife-friendly-all-year-round-tips-from-an-ecologist-183692

Roger



 


Very interesting - but I will have to battle against my learned expectations of how a lawn and garden should look.


Fortunately, as discussed before, we have several lawned areas. The main one seems particularly keen to become a haven for wild plants.

Location: South Cambridgeshire
130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E
Offline speckledjim  
#815 Posted : 01 June 2022 09:23:06(UTC)
speckledjim

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 02/07/2006(UTC)
Posts: 6,441
Location: Thorner, West Yorkshire 112m asl

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons Go to Quoted Post
An excellent piece about managing your lawn for wildlife.

How to make your lawn wildlife friendly all year round – tips from an ecologist
https://theconversation.com/how-to-make-your-lawn-wildlife-friendly-all-year-round-tips-from-an-ecologist-183692

Roger


I like my lawned areas so I’m not prepared to turn them over to nature, however, I do have 2 wild areas where wild flowers grow. One is full of foxgloves and nettles and the other has various wild flower varieties that I seeded a few years back and now just let it do it’s own thing. The rest of the garden has some order to it but I always try and ensure that the flowers that grow are attractive to bees and insects.

Thorner, West Yorkshire
Journalism is organised gossip
Offline ARTzeman  
#816 Posted : 01 June 2022 09:43:41(UTC)
ARTzeman

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 14/07/2012(UTC)
Posts: 30,201
Man
Location: Peasedown St John. N.E. Sommerset

TWO tomato plants outdoors. One with buds and the bush tomato has flowers.


All my potted bulbs need drying off. 



Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Offline Roger Parsons  
#817 Posted : 01 June 2022 09:51:50(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 23/11/2008(UTC)
Posts: 9,487
Man
Location: Lincolnshire

Originally Posted by: Gandalf The White Go to Quoted Post


Very interesting - but I will have to battle against my learned expectations of how a lawn and garden should look.


Fortunately, as discussed before, we have several lawned areas. The main one seems particularly keen to become a haven for wild plants.



I treat the lawn in two ways. The first part and most public I mow regularly but on a fairly high setting to there is depth to the sward that allows variety of species to flourish. The other is in its 2nd year on "No Mow May" and is looking promising, with several species progressing including Yellow Rattle and Cowslips. Lots of insects. When I finally strim this I will remove the "Hay" after seed has dropped and leave the aftermath a manageable length for future mowing.


Off to Wednesday exercise class now....


Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Offline ARTzeman  
#818 Posted : 01 June 2022 09:52:14(UTC)
ARTzeman

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 14/07/2012(UTC)
Posts: 30,201
Man
Location: Peasedown St John. N.E. Sommerset

A good leek in June sets all in tune.  Weather Lore Calendar. 



Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Online Bertwhistle  
#819 Posted : 04 June 2022 18:33:55(UTC)
Bertwhistle

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 20/11/2015(UTC)
Posts: 6,866
Location: Central Southern England

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons Go to Quoted Post


 


I treat the lawn in two ways. The first part and most public I mow regularly but on a fairly high setting to there is depth to the sward that allows variety of species to flourish. The other is in its 2nd year on "No Mow May" and is looking promising, with several species progressing including Yellow Rattle and Cowslips. Lots of insects. When I finally strim this I will remove the "Hay" after seed has dropped and leave the aftermath a manageable length for future mowing.


Off to Wednesday exercise class now....


Roger



Sounds like a good plan Roger- and this May the growing was optimal locally.


Garden looks, smells and sounds great right now and I've just harvested the first crop of broad beans, garlic and (admittedly smallish) early potatoes for a tapas dish for tomorrow.


Happy we have water measurers in the north pond again.


You will already know of course about yellow rattle's unique 'relationship' with grass: can be useful, depending on plans!


 

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
August 2020: best heatwave since '95
Offline Roger Parsons  
#820 Posted : 24 June 2022 07:40:11(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 23/11/2008(UTC)
Posts: 9,487
Man
Location: Lincolnshire

Interesting links for gardeners: Butterflies and burying Beetles.


Big Butterfly Count 2022
https://bigbutterflycount.butterfly-conservation.org/



Half of British butterfly species on new Red List
https://butterfly-conservation.org/



Phoresy: mites hitchhiking on burying beetles
https://rcannon992.com/2020/03/15/phoresy-mites-hitchhiking-on-burying-beetles/




Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Users browsing this topic
Similar Topics
The Gardening Thread (TWO Classic Threads Forum.)
by Guest 10/05/2011 16:24:49(UTC)
42 Pages«<39404142>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Code of conduct

× FORUM Settings USER PHOTOS Sky Eye Camera Sky Eye Gallery MODEL CHARTS Arome Arpege ECM ECM ENS GEM GEFS GFS Icon E Fax CFS UK Met UK Met UK UK Met UKV UK Met MOGREPS-G