DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
17 May 2022 06:04:23

I can see what richardabdn is on about - disgusting day in Dundee, cold and heavy rain all day. Just as well I'd pencilled in a museums day rather than a look at scenery.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
richardabdn
22 May 2022 09:09:55

There has been nothing remotely springlike about this May. Nothing at all. 

The weather has been significantly better since Tuesday with lots of sunshine but it doesn't feel like May more like August or September. It's been breezy and unsettled with horrid mild nights that don't belong in May.

We have just been fortunate that almost all the rain since Tuesday has fallen during the night leaving plenty sunshine during the day. Not the case with Western Scotland which continues to record horror levels of sunshine in the one month that can usually be relied on to be decent. Stuck around the 50 hour mark. Most places wouldn't see such appalling levels in their dullest month. Welcome to Hell on Earth 

I thought I was very unlucky to get the atrocious rubbish I endured in the Highlands last May but I am so glad I have not been there over the past week when it has been even worse. Used to be that you would have to get lucky to experience good weather in the Highlands now it seems you have to be lucky to get anything remotely near normal. This horror sure has hell isn't.

Back to the October garbage today. Hideous double digit min of 10.5C  but still only 12.3C under overcast skies and a stiff breeze. Nasty cold feeling rubbish that is just typical of the 21st Century. Most sub-5C nights at this time of year would likely lead to warmer temperatures by this stage of the day.

Spring should be a time for high diurnal ranges, cool nights and warm days not this repugnant autumnal crap. Heading for a new record mean min with just one night colder than average all month 

On 7.9C which is over 2C above average yet as far as day temperatures go it has failed to reach 20C something cold Mays like 1965, 1979 and 2012 all did with ease.

Running 12-month mean min must be on course to hit a new record by the end of July because all we seem to have been subjected to since then is relentless above average temperatures which will surely end as we enter the one season where below average temperatures always mean crap weather 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
22 May 2022 11:04:08

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

There has been nothing remotely springlike about this May. Nothing at all. 

The weather has been significantly better since Tuesday with lots of sunshine but it doesn't feel like May more like August or September. It's been breezy and unsettled with horrid mild nights that don't belong in May.

We have just been fortunate that almost all the rain since Tuesday has fallen during the night leaving plenty sunshine during the day. Not the case with Western Scotland which continues to record horror levels of sunshine in the one month that can usually be relied on to be decent. Stuck around the 50 hour mark. Most places wouldn't see such appalling levels in their dullest month. Welcome to Hell on Earth

I thought I was very unlucky to get the atrocious rubbish I endured in the Highlands last May but I am so glad I have not been there over the past week when it has been even worse. Used to be that you would have to get lucky to experience good weather in the Highlands now it seems you have to be lucky to get anything remotely near normal. This horror sure has hell isn't.

So you've had some pleasant & sunny weather in Aberdeen but choose to moan anyway about Western Scotland, somewhere you don't even live, just somewhere you happened to holiday in last year, and it rained on you. Well what a surprise.

Quote:

Back to the October garbage today. Hideous double digit min of 10.5C  but still only 12.3C under overcast skies and a stiff breeze. Nasty cold feeling rubbish that is just typical of the 21st Century. Most sub-5C nights at this time of year would likely lead to warmer temperatures by this stage of the day.

Spring should be a time for high diurnal ranges, cool nights and warm days not this repugnant autumnal crap. Heading for a new record mean min with just one night colder than average all month 

On 7.9C which is over 2C above average yet as far as day temperatures go it has failed to reach 20C something cold Mays like 1965, 1979 and 2012 all did with ease.

Running 12-month mean min must be on course to hit a new record by the end of July because all we seem to have been subjected to since then is relentless above average temperatures which will surely end as we enter the one season where below average temperatures always mean crap weather 

So what's wrong with mild nights in May? Many would consider that a bonus and be able to turn off the heating for good for the summer. No doubt had there been frost you'd be complaining that it was too cold and it had got your newly planted bedding plants. Whatever the weather does will never be good enough for you, not that I really believe you're for real anyway.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Jiries
23 May 2022 19:13:10

Originally Posted by: Col 

So you've had some pleasant & sunny weather in Aberdeen but choose to moan anyway about Western Scotland, somewhere you don't even live, just somewhere you happened to holiday in last year, and it rained on you. Well what a surprise.

So what's wrong with mild nights in May? Many would consider that a bonus and be able to turn off the heating for good for the summer. No doubt had there been frost you'd be complaining that it was too cold and it had got your newly planted bedding plants. Whatever the weather does will never be good enough for you, not that I really believe you're for real anyway.

Mild nights had been extremely rare nowadays even in winter we used to see 12-13C minimums that help a lot to cut on heating bills or low heating usage but now it very rare to see over 10C in winter and in summer never go higher than 15C, used to be 20-21C easily reached during hot spells at over 30C and most 15-18C after 25-28C warm days.  Now is 7-10C and 16-19C in summer months so indoor temps are uncomfortable cold feeling.

fairweather
23 May 2022 19:32:22

Well I have to confess I am a classic example of careful of what you wish for! Having complained about the drought here on the growing season it rained. And what I didn't know was that my flat roof over my bedroom dormer window had developed a leak. Since then it hasn't bloody stopped raining. Due to be repaired Wednesday but water dripping through the ceiling as I type from the unforecast current thunderstorm and downpour.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
tallyho_83
24 May 2022 01:06:36
Was 22c and sunny in okehampton on Sunday and on Monday it was 12c with heavy rain and Hail. Yuck.
Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Retron
24 May 2022 03:40:58

Originally Posted by: fairweather 

Well I have to confess I am a classic example of careful of what you wish for! Having complained about the drought here on the growing season it rained. And what I didn't know was that my flat roof over my bedroom dormer window had developed a leak. Since then it hasn't bloody stopped raining. Due to be repaired Wednesday but water dripping through the ceiling as I type from the unforecast current thunderstorm and downpour.

FWIW, with flat rooves - by the time you get drips inside it means the decking is thoroughly saturated. Don't be surprised if you end up having to replace that as well as the felt!

Leysdown, north Kent
Bolty
24 May 2022 17:25:31

Originally Posted by: Retron 

FWIW, with flat rooves - by the time you get drips inside it means the decking is thoroughly saturated. Don't be surprised if you end up having to replace that as well as the felt!

We've had a surprise with our building work lately. The previous owner had to have leak fixed in the dormer a few years ago, and since we've moved in, we've had a whole building job done. All the beams in the dormer were rotted from back when there was a leak, so much so that the only thing holding it up was the window frames.

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
richardabdn
24 May 2022 18:38:20

I noticed that 'Claggy' was a winning word on Pointless this evening. Couldn't be more appropriate as there is nothing more pointless than the 10 months of soul destroying claggy garbage we have just endured and it trundles on relentlessly.

So much for the cooler weather with sunshine and showers this week. Just more of the same garbage. Pitiful 0.4mm of rain and pitiful 2.2 hours sun today so not sun and showers. Just another day of the tedious grey nothingness that the past 10 months have taken to a new level.

Temperatures just the same old crap as well with a min of 7.9C and max of 14.9C. Not remotely cold just tediously uninteresting like this spring the preceding winter and preceding autumn.

Truly the worst time to be alive for a weather enthusiast. 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November