Argyle77
19 April 2022 07:58:03

How is it that the weather for snowy and cold conditions keep arriving in Spring.

We just had another useless mild winter with the PV in charge,now spring arrives,and we get HLB taking control.

No good now is it away from the Scottish Highlands,time after time this happens.

Yet its so rare to get deep-cold easterlies during the winter months,you can count on one hand how many since late 80s

An utter joke it is

Tim A
19 April 2022 09:58:12

Originally Posted by: Argyle77 

How is it that the weather for snowy and cold conditions keep arriving in Spring.

We just had another useless mild winter with the PV in charge,now spring arrives,and we get HLB taking control.

No good now is it away from the Scottish Highlands,time after time this happens.

Yet its so rare to get deep-cold easterlies during the winter months,you can count on one hand how many since late 80s

An utter joke it is

Certainly lovely winter synoptics. 

Probably quite bleak at times here, but I give up trying to predict what surface conditions a strong easterly wind will bring. Might be quite bright and pleasant out of the wind , especially in the west. 

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Bolty
23 April 2022 17:18:48
A real shame about the wind. The last two days have been lovely and sunny, but the wind has still put a proper dampener on it. At least tonight the isobars widen a bit, so tomorrow should be a bit better. It will still be breezy, but hopefuly not as blustery as this.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Jiries
23 April 2022 20:10:47

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

A real shame about the wind. The last two days have been lovely and sunny, but the wind has still put a proper dampener on it. At least tonight the isobars widen a bit, so tomorrow should be a bit better. It will still be breezy, but hopefuly not as blustery as this.

it been very unsettled lately with strong winds and cloudy mornings that clear late but leaving pollution skies as usual,  Last time we had proper settled spell that come with blue skies and light winds was in mid-March.  Only blue skies I see that we don't see anymore here or real clouds are in Namibia Live webcam I see every day with lovely British heatwave temperatures levels of high 20's to low 30's and mild nights that we don't see anymore here.

Temperatures so far are very bore fest and same as winter temps while in Cyprus from very cold March max of 6.8C to 35.6C today in one of the place and tomorrow forecast to be higher so possible 38C 100F mark.  Very interesting and that what Spring is all about, cold to hot spells with wide temps levels. 

Whether Idle
25 April 2022 19:17:57

Its been pretty "Baltic" down here for a day or so.  Typical cold easterly and north easterly winds stunting the spring. These same winds are notable by their absence December - February annually.

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
Gusty
25 April 2022 19:24:26

Originally Posted by: Whether Idle 

Its been pretty "Baltic" down here for a day or so.  Typical cold easterly and north easterly winds stunting the spring. These same winds are notable by their absence December - February annually.

and to add insult to injury the rains have failed today meaning we could be waiting another 2 weeks before anything of note. 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

Sevendust
25 April 2022 19:28:40

Originally Posted by: Gusty 

and to add insult to injury the rains have failed today meaning we could be waiting another 2 weeks before anything of note. 

At least I am now SW of London and not in NE Essex. Cold cloudy windy Spring weather was frequent. We get more frost here in such conditions but we do get cloud breaks

fairweather
27 April 2022 11:07:40

Like today. 9.8C at 12.00 noon, breezy, cloudy and rain free for over two weeks. Gardener's nightmare!

S.Essex, 42m ASL
Chunky Pea
27 April 2022 12:58:26

Originally Posted by: fairweather 

Like today. 9.8C at 12.00 noon, breezy, cloudy and rain free for over two weeks. Gardener's nightmare!

Warm and sunny again in the west of Ireland. Temps well over average despite the 'cooler' air mass over us. 

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
Bolty
03 May 2022 18:23:16
A very non-descript start to May. There's been a lot of cloud and a bit of overnight rain, that's it.
Scott
My weather station 
snowtastic
04 May 2022 07:16:58

Autumn – December, January, Week 1 & 2 February.
Winter – Week 3 February.
Autumn – Week 4 February, March.
Sprimmer – April.
Autumn – May.
Warmer Autumn – June, July and August.
Autumn – September, October and November.

Bolty
06 May 2022 16:52:00

An air pressure of 1032mb and it's piss3d it down all day...

Scott
My weather station 
Tim A
06 May 2022 18:46:35

An air pressure of 1032mb and it's piss3d it down all day...

Looking cloudy this weekend and dodgy next week too.  

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Bolty
13 May 2022 14:34:32
I wish that bloody wind would sod off, for Christ's sake! Every decent day this week has been spoilt by this annoying 30-40mph wind.
Scott
My weather station 
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
13 May 2022 15:54:11

I wish that bloody wind would sod off, for Christ's sake! Every decent day this week has been spoilt by this annoying 30-40mph wind.

Today has been the only day when the wind has been really noticeable and even then it's been a pleasant enough 'bright & breezy' type day. Good drying weather if nothing else!

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Bolty
13 May 2022 16:14:45

Originally Posted by: Col 

Today has been the only day when the wind has been really noticeable and even then it's been a pleasant enough 'bright & breezy' type day. Good drying weather if nothing else!

I take it you live in a sheltered location then? The last two or three days here have been awful. If it wasn't for the long days, you would have been forgiven for thinking it was October.

Scott
My weather station 
richardabdn
13 May 2022 16:29:49

It's certainly windy here today and cloudy and feels utterly dire. October is the right word for it. Max of 16.6C but felt nothing like it. Could only stomach about 5-10mins sitting out in the garden at lunchtime and cancelled plans to go out for a cycle after work as it's just horrible out there.

It's been an absolute GARBAGE spring. Horrendously cold, wet and dull first half of April then a sunnier, drier and warmer second half in which all the fine weather manage to avoid the weekends, except for Saturday 23rd. Easter weekend was one of the most putrid ever.

Now another utterly dire May, a month which is supposed to be the best of the spring but is now frequently the worst. Since 2014 it's just gone the same way as summer did in 2007. Utterly awful, dull depressing run. On course to be the 6th duller than average out of 9 

Just 57 hours of sun after 13 days. Fine spell cancelled. Once again it seems like an endless train of cloud. Like 2014 and 2016 a nominally warm month that feels devoid of warmth due to the lack of sun.

Three days of 18-19C with pitiful sunshine amounts of 2-3 hours. Then we get sunny days which reach only 13C. Even 13C and sun still feels miles better than todays tripe. It's a complete joke - the antithesis of what was always considered normal. Only one night has been colder than average, reflecting the persistence of extreme poor conditions.

Last May I holidayed in the Highlands and the weather was worse than dreadful. This years figures are making that horror May seem acceptable by comparison. Mind-blowingly awful. May average is around 175 hours but so far Tulloch Bridge has had 23 hours of sun and, despite being an area noted for cold nights, hasn't dropped below 5C. Glasgow has hasn't dropped below 7C. 

This is not Spring. It is akin only to the revolting horror mild Octobers that have become an almost annual occurrence since the turn of the century 

There was more genuine warmth in the Little Ice Age than there is now. This endless mild cloudy clag with temperatures held up every night is not what any remotely rational person would consider to be 'warmth'. It's disgusting 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
13 May 2022 18:06:44

I take it you live in a sheltered location then? The last two or three days here have been awful. If it wasn't for the long days, you would have been forgiven for thinking it was October.

Or conversely you live in an exposed location? We live at essentially identical altitudes but I recall shortly after you moved there you posted a video near where you live that looked pretty windswept.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Bolty
13 May 2022 20:49:46

Originally Posted by: Col 

Or conversely you live in an exposed location? We live at essentially identical altitudes but I recall shortly after you moved there you posted a video near where you live that looked pretty windswept.

True, I am right on a hill! So I suppose some wind should be expected, though it still seems very excessive for the time of year.

Scott
My weather station 
Tim A
13 May 2022 21:15:57
I thought today was noticeable windier than of late, my parasol fell over which is unusual after April. Cold and cloudy to begin with but warmer and calmer as the day went on with some late sunshine.
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl