johncs2016
01 March 2022 07:30:04

Since we are now into a brand new season, I believe it is now time for a brand new moaning and gloating thread and I'm sure that Richard from Aberdeen will play his usual prominent part on here, although I'm sure that others will also chip in with their say at times. If you have a rant or something to gloat about during this spring, this is the very place to do that.

My rant for just now is a minor one, but comes from the fact that we have suddenly had an air frost here in Edinburgh during last night after there being so few frosts here during the winter.

That then raises the question of where on Earth were those frosts when we needed them the most?

That is all very nice to look at but for me, it's too late for all of that now as we have now entered into the time of the year when I'm no longer looking for any cold weather, and would much rather now be getting on with spring.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
03 March 2022 07:12:52

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

Since we are now into a brand new season, I believe it is now time for a brand new moaning and gloating thread and I'm sure that Richard from Aberdeen will play his usual prominent part on here, although I'm sure that others will also chip in with their say at times. If you have a rant or something to gloat about during this spring, this is the very place to do that.

My rant for just now is a minor one, but comes from the fact that we have suddenly had an air frost here in Edinburgh during last night after there being so few frosts here during the winter.

That then raises the question of where on Earth were those frosts when we needed them the most?

That is all very nice to look at but for me, it's too late for all of that now as we have now entered into the time of the year when I'm no longer looking for any cold weather, and would much rather now be getting on with spring.

Same here. I've always been more of a spring/summer than autumn/winter person anyway so once March arrives I'm looking for warmth, not cold. Of course proper winter weather can occur throughout the month but I can do without it really. Any snow is normally quickly blasted away by the rapidly strengthening March sun and the days are quickly lengthening as well so it doesn't feel like proper wintertime anyway, so bring on the warmth.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Bolty
03 March 2022 16:56:05
An indifferent start to spring here. Tuesday was lovely with long spells of sunshine, but yesterday and today have been poor with cloud and rain.

Even if it's chilly, it's nice to see more of an anticyclonic influence on the models. Our building work is due to start any time now and we need a run of dry and calm weather at least while the roof is being done. I'm not too fussed whether it's cool or mild at the moment, I just want dry and calm.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
richardabdn
03 March 2022 19:50:44

All my good memories of early March are of the cold and snow variety in particular 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010. I won't be including the 2018 Beast from the East in that. Utterly hideous flop. March 2006, on the other hand, was probably the weather event of the century so far but slim pickings there.

Can't recall a single year when there was any warmth in early March. Not one. Even years when there was warm feeling sunny weather in the second half of February such as 1998, 2008, 2019 it turned much colder into March.

Snow should be a feature of March and frost of both March and April. I am every bit as disgusted at the lack of snow in March in recent years as I am at the lack of it during winter. No lying snow since 2013, other than 2016 and 2018, and it's not being replaced by springlike weather. It's replaced by a continuation of the same windy westerly crud that ruins winter or, worse still, the grotesque poison we had to endure today 

Northerlies have become extinct so why the hell can south easterlies not go the same way? Utter filth. Featureless grey skies, murk, strong wind, temperature range from 4-6C and continuous drizzly rain. A summary of todays rot and the absolute worst conditions possible following on from the most unfulfilling 7 months of relentless rubbish I have ever experienced 

I thought 2006/07 was bad enough but at least we got a 10-day frosty spell from the December anticyclone as opposed to the grotty, murky high of December 2021 

March no longer the mix of winter and spring it used to be but a mix of autumn and spring, just like winter itself 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
ARTzeman
06 March 2022 09:42:53

Do not care much for grey skies. Rather have the sunshine even if it is cold and windy.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
ARTzeman
06 March 2022 09:46:26

When March has April weather, April will have March Weather.  Weather Lore Calendar.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
richardabdn
12 March 2022 10:34:35

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 

When March has April weather, April will have March Weather.  Weather Lore Calendar.

What happens when March has November weather? Does April have October weather? Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Utterly hideous March so far that bears no resemblence to either late winter or early spring, only a bad November.

The past five days takes the adjectives that apply to the past 8 months to a new level: unpleasant, uninteresting, unusable 

Up there with the very worst weather I've experienced in March. The very time of year the weather should be at it's most interesting and varied yet day after day I wake up to a ratlling wind and find there has been a 0.5C range in temperature since midnight. Mins stuck in the 4-7C range with maxes barely any higher at 6-9C that feel hideously cold due to the ridiculous strong winds coming relentlessly from the worst possible direction of SE 

Thursday felt as bad as a typical day from March 2013. Utterly horrendous with 30mph winds and slate grey skies. Felt nothing like 8C. Yesterday was appalling as well. Sun was out but couldn't feel any warmth from it due to the vile wind which nearly blew me off my feet. Felt a lot stronger than the reported wind speeds. 42mph peak gust - seemed way worse than that.

Today it's the weekend so even worse still. Rain, wind and murk. 6.8C from a low of 6.4C  It's just unreal. This mist and murk used to form because the air was stagnant. Never with Force 5 winds blowing at the same time. Makes it doubly repulsive.

This is the most sustained period of strong winds since winter 2004/05 which was just before I got my weather station. I kept putting off getting it because the weather was so unbelievably dire and boring. This month is in fact reminding me a lot of March 2005 which was utterly hideous but it did have a few warm sunny days of 15C+ and some snow at the start.

What is this month offering? Absolutely nothing at all. The rotten wind couldn't even calm down under a 1030mb high. It's like living in Shetland. It's only reached 10C twice in the past month with neither day reaching 11C. That's what you would expect in a cold late winter/early spring with lots of snow and frost but of course there has been very little of either.

As always these days it's the worst of all worlds 

Saint Snow
14 March 2022 13:47:26

Went to Anglesey yesterday and the weather was great. Sunny and chilly, and the wind was really whipping up the waves. 

Newborough Warren and Ynys Llandwyn are just beautiful, but on days like those, and with few people around, they are amazing.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Sharp Green Fox
15 March 2022 10:21:39

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Went to Anglesey yesterday and the weather was great. Sunny and chilly, and the wind was really whipping up the waves. 

Newborough Warren and Ynys Llandwyn are just beautiful, but on days like those, and with few people around, they are amazing.

Newborough Warren, fantastic place. Rest of Anglesey is great. Always thought people from North Wales and North West England were supposed to keep this a secret!

Bolty
18 March 2022 17:05:51
Stunning week coming up, which also times perfectly for my week off work! It's quite interesting how March is seeing these long spells of anticyclonic weather nowadays.
Scott
My weather station 
richardabdn
19 March 2022 08:54:13

A rotten stinking and unfulfilling March to follow on from a rotten stinking and unfulfilling Winter, a rotten stinking and unfulfilling Autumn and a rotten, stinking and unfulfilling late Summer 

Rotten, stinking and unfulfilling basically sums up the state of the ridiculous dross that passes for weather these days 

Absolutely dire March of endless SE'ly rubbish. Stunningly dreadful. Two weeks ago I was aghast and disgusted at how awful a 1030mb high was, failing abysmally to kill off the absolutely hideous wind that is now just relentless. Now we have a 1040mb high and still that wind is rattling away. Absolutely nothing stops it. I have never been so livid and pig sick with the state of the weather here. It's been beyond a joke for years and still it sinks further and further in to the abyss.

Only early 1990 and winter 2004/05 have seen such a sustained period of relentless wind in the past 35 years and neither of them had a 1040mb high. It's just unreal. What the hell will it take to get a day with light winds? 

Horrible day. Cold, windy and an assortment of utter crud off the North Sea filling the sky. One of the worst Marches ever. No warmth or spring like weather at all. Highest temperature a pitiful 12.2C and it felt much colder than that due to the wind. 2nd lowest March max so far in 25 years after 2013. Warmest day of the year is still New Year's Day 

At the same time not a flake of snow has fallen for the 2nd year in a row. This has never happened before. In fact there were only  five completely snow free Marches in 75 years up to 2020 (1948, 1959, 1963, 1973, 2003) 

Zero convection either. No showers, no hail, no rainbows Nothing that you would expect from March. Just an another month of repulsive autumnal dirge 

Bolty
19 March 2022 12:59:16
Great weather for starting to get the garden right. I've been digging up bushes for the last two hours. God, that leylandii is horrid stuff, how anyone has it in their garden I'll never know.
Scott
My weather station 
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
19 March 2022 13:58:27

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

Great weather for starting to get the garden right. I've been digging up bushes for the last two hours. God, that leylandii is horrid stuff, how anyone has it in their garden I'll never know.

Agree. Leylandii should be banned. And I could add these Cupressus Goldcrest that often look scruffy after a year or so. Don't start me on daffodil cultivars that people for some reason plant in countryside places where they shouldn't be. Snowdrops maybe but King Alfred and his like in a bluebell wood Philistines.

It's the time of year you can bring the words nagging and easterly into a sentence. 

Today is one of those. Pleasant enough but a fresh nagging easterly.

It'll soon be Haar time in Aberdeen and the East Coast with all the gloom and TWO literary outpourings that will follow. But here in the South a Channel sea fog is often the precursor to a decent warm spell of weather. 

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Ally Pally Snowman
19 March 2022 14:12:04

19.3c in Kinlochewe.  

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Jiries
19 March 2022 20:51:37

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

My house in Galley Common have those trees at the back that belong to the neighour side, I had my side cut back and then last Sept heatwave they remove it and really look nice and brighter without it.  Also in my old flat in Langley, Berkshire had those trees that block the sun from 4pm onward so we don't have any sun anymore right to sunset, very few get through the hole gaps.

Jiries
23 March 2022 17:05:29

Seem all the forecast, models and apps very wrong in the last 3 days as it been very polluted and often cloudy which you cant see the clouds either due to smog.  When we will see azure blue skies back? last seen was last Saturday and very unheard of smog like New Delhi/Beijing 24 hours smog type. 

Saint Snow
23 March 2022 17:13:24

Originally Posted by: Jiries 

Seem all the forecast, models and apps very wrong in the last 3 days as it been very polluted and often cloudy which you cant see the clouds either due to smog.  When we will see azure blue skies back? last seen was last Saturday and very unheard of smog like New Delhi/Beijing 24 hours smog type. 

Come up to this neck of the woods; it's been very clear

Martin
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Bolty
24 March 2022 17:58:41
What a fantastic week of weather, and it makes it all the more worth while when it coincides with a week's leave from work! Every day in the mid-to-upper teens with sunshine; perfect weather for March! Only Monday was a bit cloudy, which you can live with cloud as long as it's dry and not windy. Hopefully more anticyclonic weather for spring and summer ahead.

Fingers crossed that cold spell gets eroded away by the models for next week though. I don't fancy frost and 7°C days in April.
Scott
My weather station 
Saint Snow
24 March 2022 19:55:08

Originally Posted by: Sharp Green Fox 

Newborough Warren, fantastic place. Rest of Anglesey is great. Always thought people from North Wales and North West England were supposed to keep this a secret!

Silly me!  

Read somewhere that it's got a bigger proportion of beaches with Blue Flag accreditation than anywhere else in the UK. 

When I first went there around 1990, I was unsure whether the water was clean enough to swim in - it was in the Irish Sea, after all, and I come from Merseyside (you wouldn't want to swim at, say, Southport, especially at that time). The water quality is stupendously good. In that glorious 2003 summer, I was there near Rhosneigr, on one of the hottest days ever recorded at Valley with not a breath of wind, stood chest-deep in the sea which was like a millpond. I looked down at my feet and I could have placed a newspaper on the seabed and read it easily, the water was that clear.

Martin
Aneurin Bevan
Bolty
27 March 2022 19:16:04
Well it's farewell to this lovely spell of weather and hello to a period of tedious cold crap to endure. If it's mostly dry and skies are clear, similar to last April, I would be somewhat okay with it. I just hope there's no April 2012 2.0 brewing...
Scott
My weather station