ozone_aurora
27 November 2021 10:06:57

Sheffield took a battering last night with some incredible gusts. Woke up with quite a lot of snow laying too!

NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
27 November 2021 10:17:00

I’m sure I’ve read here, here and there how northerlies have lost their bite in recent years. This current one for whatever reason seems to have recovered its bark. Whether it will be a one horse wonder this winter, who knows? Something seems to have changed upstream though. There is certainly cold air in the Longyearbyen and Jan Mayen area for the time of year.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Sevendust
27 November 2021 10:20:29

Originally Posted by: NMA 

I’m sure I’ve read here, here and there how northerlies have lost their bite in recent years. This current one for whatever reason seems to have recovered its bark. Whether it will be a one horse wonder this winter, who knows? Something seems to have changed upstream though. There is certainly cold air in the Longyearbyen and Jan Mayen area for the time of year.

Probably as much about the direction and evolution of the storm. The air being exported south at high speed so less modification

snow 2004
27 November 2021 10:57:21
Apparently 70,000 homes without power in North West England. Our lights were flickering all evening but thankfully power stayed on.
Glossop Derbyshire, 200m asl
Jiries
27 November 2021 11:25:47

Originally Posted by: NMA 

Very unusual but really interesting storm and that a real storm I don't see often in here other than boring SW winds based storms.  Had blizzards conditions here for nearly 2 hours and reached 2cm depth and all window sills facing north had crofts on it as you see on Xmas cards.  

Now if I got snow in November since 2010 then I hope to see further snow in Dec to Feb months. 

98mph wind from a northerly is a record?  I know 100mph and over from the S or SW flow but for northerly not heard of this high speeds.

Bolty
27 November 2021 12:56:07
Feels brutally cold, to be honest. 3°C in a 40mph, Arctic northerly after a mild autumn feels especially chilly.

Nearby Winter Hill has a dusting.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
johncs2016
27 November 2021 12:59:36

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

Feels brutally cold, to be honest. 3°C in a 40mph, Arctic northerly after a mild autumn feels especially chilly.

Nearby Winter Hill has a dusting.

This therefore makes that an appropriate name for that particular location in this instance.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
fairweather
27 November 2021 13:02:51

Whilst fairly benign here this certainly was a northerly gale with a bit of bite which we've not seen for some time. I remember even NWly gales producing squalls of sleet and snow even down here in decades long past.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
ozone_aurora
27 November 2021 13:18:20

Some lightning activity also observed over N Yorks Moors (Four?) and E Pennines, plus also offshore Essex & Kent (as expected).

Roger Parsons
27 November 2021 13:51:06

Originally Posted by: ozone_aurora 

Some lightning activity also observed over N Yorks Moors (Four?) and E Pennines, plus also offshore Essex & Kent (as expected).

I noticed distant lightning to our NE this morning at about 05.30hrs. It was active enough to make me power down the pcs, but nothing came of it. All we have had since is a strong mostly-northerly wind and moderate rain. Pretty horrible.

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
richardabdn
27 November 2021 15:26:43

I was out in the West End of Aberdeen today surveying the damage. Lots of trees down and flooding near the entrance to Johnston Gardens.

Although the wind speed was not as high as 2011 it seems the most widespread damage I've seen since the 1989 storm. Possibly due to wind direction as 2011 was westerly.

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Chunky Pea
27 November 2021 16:51:50

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Not nearly as severe as was predicted. Couldn't even manage 70mph here and I can't see any 90-100mph gusts anywhere. Inverbervie had 78mph.

Peak windspeed was 68mph at Dyce which is the second highest gust in the 21st Century after 75mph in Dec 2011 but to put that into context every single year between 1965 and 1976 recorded a gust of at least 68mph and the average yearly peak gust was in fact 71 mph between 1952 and 1989 compared to just 60mph for the 21st Century to date 

It was just a nasty unpleasant spell of repulsive weather that, like everything we get nowadays, couldn't match the severity of what we used to get in the past 

Malin Hd on the north coast of Ireland recorded a high gust of 70 knots (about 81 mph) yesterday evening:

Dublin Airport - Yesterdays's Observations - Met Éireann Observations for Dublin Airport, Ireland - The Irish Meteorological Service

Nothing remarkable elsewhere and I've personally observed stronger fair weather breezes in high Summer than from this. The (small) bit of lightning yesterday evening was nice though. 

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
Russwirral
27 November 2021 17:34:56

I dont think yesterday was really about the strength of the wind. Usually when we have a storm, it peaks in the space of 90 mins and is over quickly with a few mega gusts... usually trees can deal with the odd gust.

Last night event was maybe less severe but lasted much longer... lasting here at its peak about 5 hrs. And has been very windy for say 12.

This means the typical casualties today were trees who just couldnt deal with the longevity of the battering. Roof tile issues have been in the minority.

I dont think i can remember a storm which downed as many trees as ive seen around here.

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
27 November 2021 18:08:14

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

I was out in the West End of Aberdeen today surveying the damage. Lots of trees down and flooding near the entrance to Johnston Gardens.

Although the wind speed was not as high as 2011 it seems the most widespread damage I've seen since the 1989 storm. Possibly due to wind direction as 2011 was westerly.

Fallen trees & flooding.

Looks like Aberdeen's missed out on everything yet again.....

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
johncs2016
27 November 2021 18:29:02

Originally Posted by: Col 

Fallen trees & flooding.

Looks like Aberdeen's missed out on everything yet again.....

Not according to the Doc (as far as I know) but then if you read what the Doc has to say and then compare that with Richard's posts on the very same subject, it can sometimes be hard to believe that they actually both live in the same city given how much different their accounts can be.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
27 November 2021 18:37:23

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

Not according to the Doc (as far as I know) but then if you read what the Doc has to say and then compare that with Richard's posts on the very same subject, it can sometimes be hard to believe that they actually both live in the same city given how much different their accounts can be.

Yes I know. That was rather my point :)

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
marting
27 November 2021 19:12:51

Originally Posted by: Russwirral 

I dont think yesterday was really about the strength of the wind. Usually when we have a storm, it peaks in the space of 90 mins and is over quickly with a few mega gusts... usually trees can deal with the odd gust.

Last night event was maybe less severe but lasted much longer... lasting here at its peak about 5 hrs. And has been very windy for say 12.

This means the typical casualties today were trees who just couldnt deal with the longevity of the battering. Roof tile issues have been in the minority.

I dont think i can remember a storm which downed as many trees as ive seen around here.

Thats an interesting point Russ on the longetivity of the wind and agree completely,  although on our side we had 1:7 houses missing tiles today, luckily not us , but two neighbours. Plenty of tree damage as well. It was a long night of scary noises for sure. It was interesting watching the radar and appearing to poor down for an hour, but the ground was virtually damp, must have all been blown away!!
martin

Martin
Greasby, Wirral.
KevBrads1
27 November 2021 20:51:15
One odd thing that was notable here when daylight came were sycamore seeds everywhere. Never seen so many. It was as if the tree had waited to shed the lot in one go.
MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Saint Snow
27 November 2021 21:02:37

Originally Posted by: marting 

Thats an interesting point Russ on the longetivity of the wind and agree completely,  although on our side we had 1:7 houses missing tiles today, luckily not us , but two neighbours. Plenty of tree damage as well. It was a long night of scary noises for sure. It was interesting watching the radar and appearing to poor down for an hour, but the ground was virtually damp, must have all been blown away!!
martin

Agree with you and Russ. It just went on and on. A number of fences down around here (including a neighbour's) and the odd tree/large branch. Loads of smaller branches.

I cleared about 80% of the leaves in my garden a couple of weeks ago, and almost as many had fallen since; before yesterday, half the lawn was carpeted again. I chuckled this morning when I saw an entirely clear lawn with two heaps of leaves in two of the garden's corners. Very considerate!

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Bolty
27 November 2021 21:55:56
Was very wind for a time this morning and a few fence panels have fallen in our garden. How my camera stayed on the roof, I'll never know. It's amazing what a bit of BluTac can do!

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station