johncs2016
15 October 2021 08:59:54

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

It's such a shame that this has been a gloomy and drizzly high rather than a clear one. This could have been a lovely autumn week, with cool, misty and foggy mornings, and mild and sunny afternoons.

For here in Edinburgh, that is shown by the fact that our rainfall totals have actually been higher during this period of so-called "high pressure" than what it has been with many so-called "unsettled" synoptic setups where everyone else is getting more rain than what we are getting here in Edinburgh, and that isn't something which you wouldn't normally expect to see happening.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
richardabdn
17 October 2021 09:17:00

We had 3 good days out of 5 during the week and yet again it's been followed by yet another revolting weekend. It did brighten up for a while yesterday before more rain in the evening and today is just absolutely vile. Has to be about the worst yet 

It's dark, wet and gloomy like a bad day in December. Still need lights on. Wind is coming from the SE which goes without saying as what other direction would produce repellent filth like this? 

Both Saturday and Sunday have seen two-thirds of average sunshine since the end of July. A sustained period of utterly horrific weekend weather that is consistently worse than what is experienced during the weekdays. Almost the entire sunshine deficit is arising due to the dire weekends. All the worse for rapidly following on from the horror period April 2019 to June 2020 in which 13/15 months recorded worse weekend weather than weekday weather. It's just a hell on earth 

More than twice the average rainfall last October and twice the average rainfall this October. At least last year there was autumn colour to enjoy. Just had a reminder of this weekend last year when I was down in Perthshire.

Brilliant colours on Loch Tay and at Blair Castle:

Compare that with these pictures from Deeside yesterday

An UGLY, DEPRESSING and GRIM autumn 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Gandalf The White
17 October 2021 10:27:49

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

We had 3 good days out of 5 during the week and yet again it's been followed by yet another revolting weekend. It did brighten up for a while yesterday before more rain in the evening and today is just absolutely vile. Has to be about the worst yet 

It's dark, wet and gloomy like a bad day in December. Still need lights on. Wind is coming from the SE which goes without saying as what other direction would produce repellent filth like this? 

Both Saturday and Sunday have seen two-thirds of average sunshine since the end of July. A sustained period of utterly horrific weekend weather that is consistently worse than what is experienced during the weekdays. Almost the entire sunshine deficit is arising due to the dire weekends. All the worse for rapidly following on from the horror period April 2019 to June 2020 in which 13/15 months recorded worse weekend weather than weekday weather. It's just a hell on earth 

More than twice the average rainfall last October and twice the average rainfall this October. At least last year there was autumn colour to enjoy. Just had a reminder of this weekend last year when I was down in Perthshire.

Brilliant colours on Loch Tay and at Blair Castle:

Compare that with these pictures from Deeside yesterday

An UGLY, DEPRESSING and GRIM autumn 

Wonderful pictures!

How can you get so depressed when you live around such glorious scenery? (accepting that it doesn't always look as good as this)

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
17 October 2021 10:35:09

Originally Posted by: Gandalf The White 

Wonderful pictures!

How can you get so depressed when you live around such glorious scenery? (accepting that it doesn't always look as good as this)

I think his problem is that autumn isn't 'autumnal' enough this year for his liking. That last photo is a good shot but it looks like midsummer not autumn. The ones from Perthshire last year are absolutely stunning and could quite easily be from New England.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Bolty
18 October 2021 17:03:23
For once, I'm actually looking forward to some cooler air if it means shifting some of this grey and wet muck. Most days for the past week have been like this with only Friday and Saturday being decent. Today has been awful.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Jiries
18 October 2021 18:24:09

For once, I'm actually looking forward to some cooler air if it means shifting some of this grey and wet muck. Most days for the past week have been like this with only Friday and Saturday being decent. Today has been awful.

They going for tomorrow 17-18C with rain around in October which is warmer than summer all day rain at 13-15C.  How it can happen when it longer daylight, sun above the clouds are stronger to heat up the rain clouds enough to make it to 20C or 21C on ground levels like in USA summer all day rain get down to 20C but never drop to low teens in mid summer.  On my trip to Chicago it rained all day but still reached 20C and in Toronto 21C so unheard of 19C or below in summer months.

Saint Snow
18 October 2021 20:20:37

I need a dry & calm weekend on the 30th/31st.

Daughter's 18th and she's having a party. The plan is for it to be mostly outside in the back garden and under both the permanent gazebo thing and two temp marquee/gazebo things.

Wet, and that plan goes and 30 p*ssed-up 17/18 year olds are messing up my house. Windy, and the temp gazebos go for a burton.

Then there's all the Halloween decoration that I'll have put a lot of time (and money!) into.

GFS runs so far point to wet and windy as the most likely. 

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Bolty
18 October 2021 21:06:33

Originally Posted by: Col 

I think his problem is that autumn isn't 'autumnal' enough this year for his liking. That last photo is a good shot but it looks like midsummer not autumn. The ones from Perthshire last year are absolutely stunning and could quite easily be from New England.

Yes, I don't know how anyone could moan at being able to take photographs like that. Sure they might not be as "autumnal" this year, but it still looks nice nonetheless. I really do genuinely wonder what weather or season Richard actually likes.

Scott
My weather station 
johncs2016
19 October 2021 14:24:27

The official forecasts have been saying for a while that we would have heavy and persistent rain throughout today, and the latest BBC forecast is still sticking with that as I write.

If that is the case, where exactly is that heavy and persistent rain which these forecasts are talking about because I can't see any signs of that here.

We did get a little bit of rain during this morning, but that only really came in dribs and drabs, and has now already cleared away. Furthermore, the latest rain radar maps are showing absolutely nothing in the way of any significant rain for miles on end (that is true even in the west of Scotland which would normally be the most likely place to find that), which could end up heading in this direction any time soon.

The result of this is that the amounts of rain being recorded at my local stations are once again, so tedious and minute that they aren't even worth talking about which is a scenario about our weather which I absolutely detest more than anything else.

Of course, that doesn't mean that I actually want it to be raining all the time, and I would be absolutely off my head if that was the case. If it is going to be raining though, the very least that I want from that is some decent totals which are actually worth reporting and it really gets on my goat when that just isn't happening.

Not too long ago when we were under high pressure and therefore, a relatively "settled" synoptic setup, I commented on another thread that we were actually getting more rain during that setup than what we sometimes get another a low pressure dominated, "unsettled" synoptic setup such as what we are in just now.

At that point in time, daily totals of around 5 mm weren't uncommon and that allowed our totals to catch up a bit with the rest of the country which was experiencing a dry spell at that time under that high pressure.

Now, what I desacribed two paragraphs ago is happening yet again because apart from that one spike which gave us our wettest day of this autumn a couple of days ago, it is now drying up here yet again ander those more "unsettled" synoptic setup to such an extent that we are now back to getting less rain just now, that what we were getting not all that long ago under high pressure and a more "settled" synoptic setup.

If that therefore doesn't show us how crazy our weather can be, I don't know what can but I will end by saying that it is the accuracy of the model output in terms of how today (and yesterday to a certain extent as well) has ended up and how badly wrong they have got that which is the reason for my moan here, and not the fact that it isn't raining all that much here.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
tallyho_83
19 October 2021 19:08:28
It's too mild 17.5 by nighttime and 20c by day is pushing it for late October.
Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

eddied
21 October 2021 06:11:49
Why can I not find out how much rain fell last night online? Metoffice don’t seem to report and I haven’t found another site that seems to either. Am I being obtuse?

Winter 22/23
Days snow falling: 4
Days snow on ground:8
Max snow depths: 6cm (December 19th ish)

Summer 2022 max 39C on July 19th
Summer 2021 max: 32C on July 18th
Summer 2020 max: 36C on July 31st
Martybhoy
21 October 2021 09:47:32

We had a cracking air frost overnight. White everywhere and cars frozen solid. 2nd of the season so far. 

200m above sea level
Rural East Ayrshire
Near to the village of Sorn
Martybhoy
21 October 2021 09:51:29
Oooooh, been checking the Cairngorm webcams daily since 1st of September as I do every year. It's been dry as a bone. Until this morning!
https://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/weather-webcams/live-webcams/ 

200m above sea level
Rural East Ayrshire
Near to the village of Sorn
richardabdn
21 October 2021 19:24:45

More unrelenting GARBAGE in the worst place on earth for a weather enthusiast to live.

Today's rubbish shows just why you can now write off the winter in October every year and never be proven wrong.

Impossible now to get cold air that doesn't come with an utterly revolting unpleasant strong wind that never drops out in the evening thus preventing actual cold weather from occuring 

No cold crisp pleasant weather anymore just vile nasty unpleasant boring windy GARBAGE. Hard to decide what is worse. This or the mild gunk. What is for sure I absolutely detest everything we get here now. Just a relentless onslaught of depressing unappetising crud. Mild murk or cold wind. None of the changeable variety we used to get.

Wind preventing the temperature dropping below 6C which isn't in the least bit cold for a late October evening. Coldest temperature so far in this disaster of a season just 2.9C which was recorded before midnight yesterday before yet more rain caused the temperature to rise 

Only five days without measurable rain since 26th Sept and more mind-numbing mild crud to not look forward to. You can guarantee that it won't be the pleasant dry mild conditions we used to enjoy in the shelter of the mountains as the wind never comes from W or SW anymore just rancid S or SE 

Yet another awful horror October with no redeeming qualities whatsoever 

johncs2016
21 October 2021 20:42:58

I am sick and tired of the models consistently underestimating the temperatures in this part of the world.

Once again, today's forecast suggested that we might get our first single figures maximum temperatures of the season and once again, that hasn't even come close to actually happening and I am wondering now, if we will ever again see any single figures maximum temperatures going forward.

Today's maximum temperature was 10.8ºC at Edinburgh Gogarbank which isn't even our lowest maximum temperature of this autumn and which isn't all that cold for this time of the year.

The fact that it is a lot colder than what it has been recently, just shows how ridiculously warm for this time of the year which it has been recently and to make matters even worse, that is what we are expected to return to in the days ahead.

Furthermore, the models are clearly at it again in terms of them underestimating our temperatures but they are now saying that we might get a frost tonight and yet, what's the betting that we don't even get anywhere near that.

As at 9pm this evening, the temperatures have only dropped to around 7ºC here in Edinburgh (again, not all that cold for this time of the year) and are already refusing to drop, due to there being too much cloud and too much wind around.

Bolty
23 October 2021 16:02:59
Amazing how green everything still is, even at this late stage of October. I wonder if the very mild nights have helped to do that? The number of double figure nights this autumn is also staggering. If November keeps it up, we must surely break the record for average minima.
Scott
My weather station 
springsunshine
23 October 2021 16:46:50

Amazing how green everything still is, even at this late stage of October. I wonder if the very mild nights have helped to do that? The number of double figure nights this autumn is also staggering. If November keeps it up, we must surely break the record for average minima.

Its the same here and no doubt all over the rest of England in that the trees are still fully green in there summer coats,just the odd one here and there showing signs of turning.I doubt the trees will be bare this side of the new year.

I remember the Octobers of old when at this time of year most trees had shed at least half thier foliage with the remainder in the classic golds and browns of autumn at this stage of the season

richardabdn
24 October 2021 09:23:02

Already endured three uterly rank, dismal and depressing grey horror weekends in this godforsaken month and what do we get for the fourth? Against all reasonable and realistic expectations we end up with something even more grotesque than the preceeding three.

Once again I'm at a loss to adequately express how much I despise living in this utter hole. It's worse than living in the Faeores at least they aren't taunted with sunshine all week to end up with soul destroying grey crud weekend after weekend 

1st weekend 4.2 hrs, 2nd 4.0hrs, 3rd weekend 3.1hrs. It just gets worse and worse with each miserable week that passes. Less than an hour yesterday and by the looks of things from the horrific mind-numbing gloom out there at the moment today will be no better.

The maximum total that a weekend day has produced is a lame and embarassing 4.0 hours. Only three months in the last 15 years I have recorded worse than that and they were three revolting months which I utterly despised: March 2013, October 2017 and December 2020 

What's worse it was all early morning and late afternoon with the peak of the day overcast with rain and that is the best on offer 

The weekend average for this garbage month is currently a filthy stinking 1.73 hours per day compared to an above average 4.06 hours for the weekdays. Absolutely ridiculous and works out as the 2nd worse example of the 'Weekend Curse' I've recorded after the abomination of June 2007 the suicide-inducing month which was the start of my love of weather turning into abject hatred.

Here are all the worst months for the 'Weekend Curse' with weekend sun as % of weekday

Jun-0734%
Oct-2143%
Jul-1650%
Jan-1951%
Aug-0752%
Jun-1152%
Jul-0854%
Aug-1854%
Feb-1757%
Oct-1758%

Just sums up what a dire place this is the live when most of them are summer months and not one December in the top 10 offenders when it would be the month that it would do the least damage.

After today I expect this October to be running below the 1.62 hours weekend daily average that October 2017 recorded. At least then I was able to spend the last third of the month in Fuerteventura where it was sunny every day. This is the foreign holiday I miss the most as having to endure the revolting abomination of a 21st century October in it's entirety is just torture. This year it's even worse with the vile weekends since late July. Seems as though I have seen no sun in the past three months except on my holiday in Wales and Liverpool, and that it should be spring around the corner rather than the darkest and most depressing 3 months of the year 

As well as being throughly depressing the weekend gloom prevented a frost from occurring on Saturday morning. It was 1.4C at midnight but up to 6C by dawn and last night saw yet another horror double digit min recorded-  the 3rd in a week 

Absolutely ridiculous and wouldn't surprise me in the least if there has already been more double digit October mins in the 21st Century than there were in the whole of the 20th. We went into May with most of the trees still bare and it looks like we will go into November with most still green. Absolutely awful year of seasonless tripe as is every year these days 

Saint Snow
24 October 2021 13:56:00

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

I need a dry & calm weekend on the 30th/31st.

Daughter's 18th and she's having a party. The plan is for it to be mostly outside in the back garden and under both the permanent gazebo thing and two temp marquee/gazebo things.

Wet, and that plan goes and 30 p*ssed-up 17/18 year olds are messing up my house. Windy, and the temp gazebos go for a burton.

Then there's all the Halloween decoration that I'll have put a lot of time (and money!) into.

GFS runs so far point to wet and windy as the most likely. 

Not looking good. 

Even if we get a drier interlude, it's going to be breezy at best possibly windy, which will make the fog machine pretty useless. That takes away an element of the garden decoration (I've made an ice box to chill the fog, keeping it close to the ground... if it's fairly still) 

Was pinning hopes on the sort of anti-cyclonic period we sometimes do get this time of year. Needed winds <3mph.

Damn. 

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
johncs2016
26 October 2021 20:47:21

Earlier on today in another thread, I said that it was too mild for this time of the year but now, this is just getting ridiculous!!

It's nearly the end of October at the time of year when it should be getting a lot colder, and it is well into the evening when we would normally expect the temperatures to be dropping.

Yet in spite of all of that, the temperature here in Edinburgh as at 9pm this evening has actually gone UP to around 16°C, and is now higher than what it has been at any point in time during today.

Please, can we finally get some cooler and more seasonal weather in these parts, or is that too much to ask for these days?