Lionel Hutz
06 September 2021 11:01:40

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

We're now close to the end of the Arctic sea ice melt season and Arctic sea ice is holding up remarkably well at present. While it was at or close to record low levels for much of the summer, since August low pressure in the Beaufort Sea has helped keep temperatures low and aided ice dispersal(according to the NSICD). Of course, the thickness of the ice is, I'm sure, well down on what it would have been in the past but I suppose that it's good to see any climate indicator reverting close to past norms, even if that reversion is most probably short lived.

Lionel Hutz
Nr.Waterford , S E Ireland
68m ASL

Jiries
06 September 2021 19:46:42

I notice something odd about the ice sheet stay put over the river mouth from Russia, while it already melted over the sea around the coasts.  Any reason for the ice staying put despite higher temps over the land around the river mouth.

Russwirral
28 September 2021 08:51:48

Just starting to review these again as we head into Autumn

Quite a remarkable change in sea ice compared to this day last year.  probably a good 20% increase day vs day 

This is very different to recent years

tallyho_83
02 October 2021 11:03:04

Given the record breaking temperatures in the Canadian Arctic regions and again in N Russia etc this summer I am surprised we are not seeing yet another record breaking melt season for Arctic sea ice like previous years  - maybe it's indicative of a positive AO ....not sure?

Meanwhile - Looking at the latest on NOAA it seems like there is already some decent snowcover over northern and Eastern Siberia and it's only the 2nd October:

When can we open a winter 2021/2022 discussion/thoughts forum?

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Brainstorm
02 October 2021 11:46:42
https://www.natice.noaa.gov/ims/ 
Has it changed does anyone know? Many thanks, Ian.
When a wise man doesn't understand he says, "I do not understand".
Only the fool remains silent when a question could bring them wisdom.
lanky
02 October 2021 13:16:38
https://www.natice.noaa.gov/ims/ 
Has it changed does anyone know? Many thanks, Ian.

If you test that url on the Wayback machine, there is no active reference since December 2020 but the 2020 entry redirects to

http://usicecenter.gov/

Don't know whether this helps or not as I am not familiar with the original site

Martin
Richmond, Surrey
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
07 October 2021 06:24:34

On 16 September 2021, Arctic sea ice reached its annual minimum extent, signifying the end of the summer melting period. According to the National Snow and Ice Data centre (NSIDC), Arctic sea ice extent stood at 4.72 million square kilometres on 16 September, which is the 12th lowest September minimum on record since satellite observations began in 1979.

and more to read at https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/ with map & graphs (the second article)

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Brainstorm
07 October 2021 21:47:09

Originally Posted by: lanky 

If you test that url on the Wayback machine, there is no active reference since December 2020 but the 2020 entry redirects to

http://usicecenter.gov/

Don't know whether this helps or not as I am not familiar with the original site

That works fine, I've found what I'm looking for, many thanks.

When a wise man doesn't understand he says, "I do not understand".
Only the fool remains silent when a question could bring them wisdom.
Hungry Tiger
09 October 2021 11:26:03

That excellent snow and ice cover northern hemisphere link keeps changing.

The latest one here and this works. 

https://www.eldoradoweather.com/snow-ice-cover.html

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
09 October 2021 19:22:56

Originally Posted by: Hungry Tiger 

That excellent snow and ice cover northern hemisphere link keeps changing.

The latest one here and this works. 

https://www.eldoradoweather.com/snow-ice-cover.html

Be careful and check the date on the map - they've posted a lot of historic data

Chichester 12m asl
tallyho_83
11 October 2021 21:45:34

Just comparing the Arctic sea ice extent on NOAA compared with this time in 2020. - Look how much more Arctic sea ice we have and Siberian snow cover as well as Scandinavia too:

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Hungry Tiger
13 October 2021 13:43:51

The three big coldies in the Siberian Far East - Verhoyansk, Omyakon and the capital Yakutsk all well below freezing now.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

GezM
  • GezM
  • Advanced Member
13 October 2021 17:15:04

Originally Posted by: Hungry Tiger 

The three big coldies in the Siberian Far East - Verhoyansk, Omyakon and the capital Yakutsk all well below freezing now.

They took their time getting there but look to be playing catch up by next week with temperatures continuing to fall. 

Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)
Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)
tallyho_83
15 October 2021 01:23:03
Look at the latest - wow quite an advance in Siberian snowcover and even better for Scandinavia as well because it's closer to the UK and if any north easterly does set in it could be dragging in some exceptionally cold air, Nice to see some good early snowfall in Scandinavia - I was thinking of Nordic Snowman aka Mike? But from my understanding he has left there now - but Bjorki could see a good dumping of snow tomorrow into the weekend as well.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/no/lesjaskog/254840/weather-forecast/254840 

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Bjorli/6day/mid 

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Russwirral
22 October 2021 16:01:52

Every year i watch the sea ice situation develop as a means to see impact on the models

I would always compare this year vs last year as a quick comparison

Ive never seen a year of ice growth quite like this  Today vs the same date last year

Must be an extra 30% easily 

Sevendust
22 October 2021 16:17:38

Originally Posted by: Russwirral 

Every year i watch the sea ice situation develop as a means to see impact on the models

Ive never seen a year of ice growth quite like this  Today vs the same date last year

There is an argument that good levels of sea ice create a more "normal" pattern in our locale as I am concerned that big changes (reductions) disrupt usual patterns. Best not flagged this to the CC deniers!

polarwind
22 October 2021 17:43:19

In my earlier post I mentioned the two areas of ice attached to the Siberian coast at the time when ice area started to increase.- has this happened before in the last 10 years or so?

What do you put down as the reason/s for the 30% increase of ice area this year at this date as compared with last year?

"The professional standards of science must impose a framework of discipline and at the same time encourage rebellion against it". – Michael Polyani (1962)
"If climate science is sound and accurate, then it should be able to respond effectively to all the points raised…." - Grandad
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". - Bertrand Russell
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
"A consensus means that everyone agrees to say collectively what no one believes individually.”- Abba Eban, Israeli diplomat
Dave,Derby
polarwind
22 October 2021 17:46:59

Originally Posted by: Sevendust 

There is an argument that good levels of sea ice create a more "normal" pattern in our locale as I am concerned that big changes (reductions) disrupt usual patterns. Best not flagged this to the CC deniers!

Yes, I wonder what they would make of it?

"The professional standards of science must impose a framework of discipline and at the same time encourage rebellion against it". – Michael Polyani (1962)
"If climate science is sound and accurate, then it should be able to respond effectively to all the points raised…." - Grandad
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". - Bertrand Russell
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
"A consensus means that everyone agrees to say collectively what no one believes individually.”- Abba Eban, Israeli diplomat
Dave,Derby
White Meadows
22 October 2021 21:02:21

To give a fair assessment, you could assume an approximate year on year increase of up to 45%.

Its actually not that uncommon, but in recent decades subsides to leave an overall watery warm mess later on towards January (year on year). 

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
23 October 2021 05:56:18

Bump ... some posts moved from model output thread

Chichester 12m asl