Global Warming
01 August 2021 10:11:33

Originally Posted by: Global Warming 

No change to last week's update. I am still expecting the CET to come in around 17.7C.

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

Chart 1

Chart 2

Final Hadley figure is exactly aligned with what I was thinking. 17.71C is the final figure.

https://hadleyserver.metoffice.gov.uk/hadcet/cet_mean_2021

Congratulations to Whether Idle who was very close with his prediction for this month at 17.72C.

GezM
  • GezM
  • Advanced Member
01 August 2021 15:04:17

Final Hadley figure is exactly aligned with what I was thinking. 17.71C is the final figure.

Congratulations to Whether Idle who was very close with his prediction for this month at 17.72C.

Well done Whether Idle! I went too low this month. My prediction radar is definitely malfunctioning this year 

Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)
Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)
Bertwhistle
01 August 2021 17:39:45

Well done GW- very accurate forecasting.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Gavin P
02 August 2021 09:56:30

That was an awesome projection my friend! Nailed it! Well done! 

Rural West Northants 120m asl
Short, medium and long range weather forecast videos @ https://www.youtube.com/user/GavsWeatherVids
Whether Idle
02 August 2021 19:33:13

Originally Posted by: GezM 

Well done Whether Idle! I went too low this month. My prediction radar is definitely malfunctioning this year 

Hi Gez. The problem is that when you have a month like I did in February IIRC when you’re more than 2c off, it is almost impossible to recover from. I’ve had 2 good months on the trot with a combined error of 0.01c but it is a long year and the weather is IMHO now well and truly messed up so predictions are fraught with extra risk. Just keep plugging away I say. You’re only as good as your luck and your last prediction. Also - thanks to GW for his continuing excellent work on this competition. 

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
Stormchaser
02 August 2021 20:22:14

I know what you mean Whether Idle - while not as impressive as your 0.01 across two months, by my calculations, I'm fairly sure I have the lowest combined error for Mar-Jul... but add January in and I drop to 5th and with the February debacle I'm down in 10th!

This sort of thing has led me to wonder whether a maximum error cap of, say, 2.0°C would encourage more in the way of 'bold' estimates - but I'm not sure it's really fair to make it so that the 'bold ones' have potentially got more to gain than lose relative to others.

Going more than a degree from average for the CET is a heck of a thing really - it's not something that you could reasonably expect to get right reliably. Of course, these days, you've generally got a better chance if you go more than a degree above average than below, but exceptions still happen more than occasionally, as April-May showed us starkly.

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Saint Snow
03 August 2021 13:37:41

The league table this month promises to be particularly interesting.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Whether Idle
03 August 2021 20:13:03

Originally Posted by: Stormchaser 

I know what you mean Whether Idle - while not as impressive as your 0.01 across two months, by my calculations, I'm fairly sure I have the lowest combined error for Mar-Jul... but add January in and I drop to 5th and with the February debacle I'm down in 10th!

This sort of thing has led me to wonder whether a maximum error cap of, say, 2.0°C would encourage more in the way of 'bold' estimates - but I'm not sure it's really fair to make it so that the 'bold ones' have potentially got more to gain than lose relative to others.

Going more than a degree from average for the CET is a heck of a thing really - it's not something that you could reasonably expect to get right reliably. Of course, these days, you've generally got a better chance if you go more than a degree above average than below, but exceptions still happen more than occasionally, as April-May showed us starkly.

I understand the 2c cap but having thought about it, my view is it would detract from the raw unadulterated terror of the competition. I think this year many more punters than usual are going to be in with a shout in this competition, mostly as a result of the wobbling gyrations of our weather as the climate system and associated weather adjusts to what is now unfolding in the Arctic. 

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
Global Warming
04 August 2021 21:08:07

Annual CET competition - July update

Here is the July table. We have a new leader! Spring Sun Winter Dread is now in the lead for the first time this year. Whether Idle is the joint biggest climber within the top 10, moving up eight places into sixth. Stormchaser is also up eight places into tenth.

Table

Hungry Tiger
05 August 2021 09:15:58

I've dropped 10 places - Got way out with this one and the last.

All good fun though.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Saint Snow
05 August 2021 09:28:36

Here is the July table. We have a new leader! Spring Sun Winter Dread is now in the lead for the first time this year. Whether Idle is the joint biggest climber within the top 10, moving up eight places into sixth. Stormchaser is also up eight places into tenth.

Table

Cheers, GW.

Very tight this year (or is it like this every year? I forget ) and with the big month to month swings we've had so far in terms of the weather, it could be a volatile run-in

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Spring Sun Winter Dread
06 August 2021 10:02:04
Good to be on the summit for the first time in 5 years (I got lucky with my first ever prediction in 2016 IIRC) although leading from the front is not always easy!
The temptation would be to make conservative predictions for the rest of the year but knowing 2021 that may not be so sensible...
Windy Willow
06 August 2021 12:37:34

Table

Well done everyone & thanks GW.

ouch to the drop of 11 places! So m uch swings & roundabouts for me this year lol, Let's see if my guess this month put's me on the bottom 

119.4 m /391.7 feet asl
Sunny Dartford, NW Kent

Don't feed the Trolls!! When starved of attention they return to their dark caves or the dark recesses of bridges and will turn back to stone, silent again!
Gusty
06 August 2021 20:46:47

Ignore the power of Whether Idle at your peril. 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

Global Warming
08 August 2021 13:58:46

Here are the charts for July

Chart 1

Chart 2