johncs2016
31 July 2021 09:08:05
Here in Edinburgh, there has been no significant changes to our rainfall totals since my last report on here.

There hasn't been any official rain days here since then and since 10am BST (09:00 UTC) yesterday morning, there has only been a total of 0.8 mm of rain at Edinburgh Gogarbank along with just 0.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

Furthermore, we are now in the last day of this month so unless there are any more additions to the total for Edinburgh Gogarbank up to 10am this morning, it will not now be possible for this month to have an above number of official rain days at Edinburgh Gogarbank as there can only be a maximum of one more official rain day during this month which wouldn't be enough to bring the number of rain days during this month to more than the 1981-2010 July average for that particular station.

At the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, one more official rain day is still needed as I write, in order to bring this month's total to more than the 1981-2010 July average for that particular station. This means that unless a further 0.4 mm of rain or more is added to the 24 hour total for up to 10am this morning, the next 24 hour period will then have to go down as being an official rain day in order for this month to have an above average number of rain days overall, otherwise this month will go down as having a below average number of official rain days overall even there.

Not all that long ago, I said I wouldn't be surprised if the rainfall totals for here ended up being our final totals for this month. Since then, there has only just been the one day which has actually produced any significant rainfall here and even that resulted in a total of not much more than 1 mm of rain at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

In the end, I have to say that this prediction wasn't all that far away from being correct and given that I made that prediction at a time when the general outlook according to the model output was looking very unsettled, this shows yet again just how much the model output keeps on overestimating the amounts of rain which we are being forecast to get here.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
johncs2016
31 July 2021 11:55:39
Final 24 hour rainfall totals up to 10am this morning was 0.8 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 1.0 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

This means that there has now been more official rain days at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh than the 1981-2010 July average for that particular station, so this month will now go down as being wetter than average there in terms of the number of official rain days, regardless of what happens there during the rest of today.

At Edinburgh Gogarbank though, it is a completely different story because even if today goes down as an official rain day there, that won't now be enough to bring the number of rain days there up to the 1981-2010 July average for that particular station and so, this month will now go down as being drier than average there in terms of the number of official rain days regardless of what happens during the rest of today.

Both stations are wetter than average overall during this month though in terms of the actual rainfall amounts, but this month's total at Edinburgh Gogarbank is likely to end up being only just above the 1981-2021 July average for that particular station and no more.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
01 August 2021 08:54:41
At the vineyard, just over 100mm but because it mainly fell in the last week of the month the place is a muddy mess.
Brockley, South East London 30m asl
richardabdn
01 August 2021 09:04:56

60.6mm so yet another wetter than average July 

Just like 2013 and 2018 very wet weather in the final week prevented a long overdue dry July from occuring.

That is where the similarity with those two months ends, as while they had lots of sunny days and above average sunshine all this month had was lots of grey overcast grot 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
doctormog
01 August 2021 09:08:50
Interesting to see the local variation towards the end. My total finished at 49.8mm here.
johncs2016
01 August 2021 09:13:30

The latest rainfall data for Edinburgh Gogarbank (shown as station 1 below) and the botanic gardens in Edinburgh (shown below as station 2) is as follows:

24 Hour Rainfall Total As At 09:00 UTC (10am BST) this morning: 0.4 mm at Station 1, 3.8 mm at Station 2

Final Total for July 2021: 65.4 mm (102.0 % of LTA) at station 1, 108.2 mm (166.5 % of LTA) at station 2
Number of Rain Days During July 2021: 9 (88.2 % of LTA) at station 1, 11 (115.8 % of LTA) at station 2
Number of Dry Days During July 2021: 18 at station 1, 18 at station 2

July 2021 was a month which was actually dry on most days, but with quite a big rainfall event during the early part of the month which caused some flash flooding. The botanic gardens in Edinburgh bore the biggest brunt of that here in Edinburgh with Edinburgh Gogarbank getting away with that rather lightly.

This had quite a major impact on that month's rainfall totals as July 2021 ended up being a substantially wetter than average month at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh in terms of the actual rainfall amounts because of that, whereas the rainfall totals at Edinburgh Gogarbank were only just above average during that month.

On other days, the most unsettled weather as far as Edinburgh is concerned was in the east. This resulted in Edinburgh Gogarbank being slightly drier than average during July in terms of the number of rain days, but with the botanic gardens in Edinburgh being slightly wetter than average under that same scenario.

Total Amount During This Summer So Far: 88.4 mm (45.7 % of LTA) at station 1, 137.4 mm (71.0 % of LTA) at station 2
Number of Rain Days During This Summer So Far: 12 (37.7 % of LTA) at station 1, 16 (55.6 % of LTA) at station 2
Number of Dry Days During This Summer So Far: 39 at station 1, 38 at station 2

Total Amount During This Year So Far: 392.8 mm (52.1 % of LTA) at station 1, 428.6 mm (60.9 % of LTA) at station 2
Number of Rain Days During This Year So Far: 66 (48.1 % of LTA) at station 1, 72 (58.0 % of LTA) at station 2
Number of Dry Days During This Year So Far: 110 at station 1, 104 at station 2

LTA = 1981-2010 average for the month, season or year in question at the particular station in question.

All of this data has been taken from SEPA with each observation day starting and ending on 09:00 UTC on each day.

Northern Sky
01 August 2021 09:17:00

I'm waiting for Tim A to post as I've messed up my recording - I've got 74mm but looking at others in Leeds that seems too low? I may have missed a reading.

Tut tut must do better in August.

POD
  • POD
  • Advanced Member
01 August 2021 15:32:33

Final total 139.8mm

Pat, Crawley Down, West Sussex.
Andy J
01 August 2021 19:46:44

Final total for July here is 111mm,  (208% of average).   Wettest July here since 2012, and the 4th wettest one in the last 40 years.  Particularly wet in the first 12 days with 77mm recorded in this spell.

Also the most thundery July I've recorded, tied with 2009.  6 days with thunder heard.    

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.