doctormog
27 July 2021 09:56:47
I would expect between 20mm and 100mm across a swathe of Scotland in the next few days.

My monthly total is now 19.3mm after just over 1mm (so far) today.
johncs2016
27 July 2021 15:47:23

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

I would expect between 20mm and 100mm across a swathe of Scotland in the next few days.

My monthly total is now 19.3mm after just over 1mm (so far) today.

That might well be the case in some parts of Scotland, but I am really struggling to see where any of that is going to come from here in Edinburgh.

Today is now the second day in a row where the forecasts have pointed towards a possible risk or likelihood of showers or thunderstorms in this part of the world.

Both days have then started off on a dull note, but only for the Sun to break through with the rest of the day being completely bone dry with not even a single bit of precipitation in sight for miles on end according to the latest rain radar maps.

Edinburgh is therefore, clearly a place where "interesting" and changeable weather just doesn't happen any more and I don't see that changing any time soon.

We are developing an increasingly arid and desert-like climate over time as more southern parts of the UK become wetter over time with more flooding events due to climate change and so, it probably won't be long now before rain gauges are no longer needed here as it is pointless having any sort of instrument in place which never reads anything else other than 0.0.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
doctormog
27 July 2021 16:50:06

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

That might well be the case in some parts of Scotland, but I am really struggling to see where any of that is going to come from here in Edinburgh.

Today is now the second day in a row where the forecasts have pointed towards a possible risk or likelihood of showers or thunderstorms in this part of the world.

Both days have then started off on a dull note, but only for the Sun to break through with the rest of the day being completely bone dry with not even a single bit of precipitation in sight for miles on end according to the latest rain radar maps.

Edinburgh is therefore, clearly a place where "interesting" and changeable weather just doesn't happen any more and I don't see that changing any time soon.

We are developing an increasingly arid and desert-like climate over time as more southern parts of the UK become wetter over time with more flooding events due to climate change and so, it probably won't be long now before rain gauges are no longer needed here as it is pointless having any sort of instrument in place which never reads anything else other than 0.0.

I don’t think you are likely to be in that “swathe”, but you never know due to the hit and miss nature of convective rainfall.

johncs2016
27 July 2021 17:03:03

I don’t think you are likely to be in that “swathe”, but you never know due to the hit and miss nature of convective rainfall.

Well, clearly the Met Office obviously must have thought that we might be in that swathe as they had issued an amber warning warning for thunderstorms in this part of the world which had supposedly come into effect at 12 noon today.

This therefore, has to go down as a massive fail on their part.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
richardabdn
27 July 2021 17:29:01

I must have imagined reading about the thunderstorm and intense downpours that struck Edinburgh last month.

Not a rumble of thunder here all year. No convective activity of any sort. Just the worst month for North Sea cloud I've ever experienced.

Only 17.4mm rain this month but below average sunshine 

No sun here today and no measurable rain. Just an endless feed of murky featureless dross from the North Sea yet again 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Frank H
27 July 2021 17:29:24

Just 0.6mm today but it ended a run of 13 consecutive dry days.

Dry spells have been a regular feature this year:

16 consecutive days in April

24 consecutive days late May - June (except 0.2mm on one day)

13 in July

Wrightington, Wigan
johncs2016
27 July 2021 17:43:31

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

I must have imagined reading about the thunderstorm and intense downpours that struck Edinburgh last month.

Not a rumble of thunder here all year. No convective activity of any sort. Just the worst month for North Sea cloud I've ever experienced.

Only 17.4mm rain this month but below average sunshine 

No sun here today and no measurable rain. Just an endless feed of murky featureless dross from the North Sea yet again 

When I looked at the rain radar maps, I noticed that there was some showery activity not all that far away from your neck of the woods and I'm surprised that Doctormog didn't pick up on that.

Here in Edinburgh, we haven't had that sort of activity anywhere near to here so on that basis at least, you can't really say that Aberdeen's weather during today has been any more boring that Edinburgh's weather (in fact, I would say that it is actually the other way around in that regard).

You (like others) have mentioned that flooding event at the beginning of this month but as I have said elsewhere on this forum, that was actually nothing compared to other flooding events which have recently taken place down south and over on the continent.

Furthermore, that still hasn't even been enough for this month to have been any wetter than average at Edinburgh Gogarbank as I write and so, that clearly shows that Edinburgh just doesn't generally get "interesting" weather.

Having said that, I do admit the fact we have had a big difference in our rainfall totals between Edinburgh Gogarbank and the botanic gardens in Edinburgh which have been mostly caused by that earlier event, and which is in complete contrast to the similarity between your rainfall total for this month and the figure which Doctormog reported earlier on for his part of your own city.

fairweather
27 July 2021 17:51:06

I am surprised at the graphics and the forecast on BBC tonight still showing and talking of heavy downpours this evening and night gradually fading away. There are zero showers on the radar east of a line from approximately Bournemouth to Colchester, including London.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
doctormog
27 July 2021 18:01:38

When I looked at the rain radar maps, I noticed that there was some showery activity not all that far away from your neck of the woods and I'm surprised that Doctormog didn't pick up on that.

Here in Edinburgh, we haven't had that sort of activity anywhere near to here so on that basis at least, you can't really say that Aberdeen's weather during today has been any more boring that Edinburgh's weather (in fact, I would say that it is actually the other way around in that regard).

You (like others) have mentioned that flooding event at the beginning of this month but as I have said elsewhere on this forum, that was actually nothing compared to other flooding events which have recently taken place down south and over on the continent.

Furthermore, that still hasn't even been enough for this month to have been any wetter than average at Edinburgh Gogarbank as I write and so, that clearly shows that Edinburgh just doesn't generally get "interesting" weather.

Having said that, I do admit the fact we have had a big difference in our rainfall totals between Edinburgh Gogarbank and the botanic gardens in Edinburgh which have been mostly caused by that earlier event, and which is in complete contrast to the similarity between your rainfall total for this month and the figure which Doctormog reported earlier on for his part of your own city.

I actually pointed out in my pearlier post that I received just over 1mm of rain this morning (or 1.2mm to be precise).

johncs2016
27 July 2021 18:20:08

I actually pointed out in my pearlier post that I received just over 1mm of rain this morning (or 1.2mm to be precise).

Sorry, that was just a misunderstanding on my part. When I looked at the radar maps this morning, some of the echoes in your area were looking quite intense although you have clearly been on the short end of the straw with that a bit given your total from that.

Having said that though, you might not have got much from that but this was enough to give you an official rain day which is something which we haven't had for a very long time.

You have mentioned the hit and miss nature of convective rainfall and I can see that here from the fact that Richard appears to have missed out on those earlier showers (he is still saying that he had no measurable rainfall at all) despite being located within your city.

If we had loads of showery activity and thunderstorms within our vicinity today, I would therefore have happily accepted today's official warnings as being appropriate even if I had missed out on them altogether, where I live as that is the hit and miss nature of convective rainfall.

It is therefore, the fact that there has been no precipitation in this vicinity virtually all day for miles on end which makes this such a massive fail on the Met Office's part.

Finally, I shall look forward with interest to see which area ends up being the driest part of Aberdeen when this month's figures are finalised, between your area and where Richard lives.

Richard might well see that as being boring, but that is something which I find rather fascinating, especially as there is so little in it just now with Richard holding only a very small lead in that regard.

doctormog
27 July 2021 18:25:42
Yes, you’re right about this morning - the areas affected by the showers were quite localised. Looking at the radar I was expecting a bit more. On a different note it looks like areas around the Great Glen could get some significant rainfall totals over the Tues-Thurs period.
johncs2016
28 July 2021 09:41:36

The latest rainfall data for Edinburgh Gogarbank (shown as station 1 below) and the botanic gardens in Edinburgh (shown below as station 2) is as follows:

24 Hour Rainfall Total As At 09:00 UTC (10am BST) this morning: 1.6 mm at Station 1, 11.0 mm at Station 2

Total Amount For This Month So Far: 63.8 mm (99.5 % of LTA) at station 1, 102.6 mm (157.8 % of LTA) at station 2
Number of Rain Days During This Month So Far: 9 (88.2 % of LTA) at station 1, 9 (94.7 % of LTA) at station 2
Number of Dry Days During This Month So Far: 16 at station 1, 17 at station 2

This means that another 0.4 mm of rain or more still needs to fall at Edinburgh Gogarbank between now and the end of this month in order for this month to go down as being wetter than average overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

In addition to that, another 2 or more official rain days now need to be recorded at Edinburgh Gogarbank between now and the end of this month in order for this month to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the number of rain days.

Furthermore, this month will go down as being wetter than average overall in terms of the number of rain days at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh if any more official rain days are recorded there between now and the end of this month.

Total Amount During This Summer So Far: 86.8 mm (44.9 % of LTA) at station 1, 131.8 mm (68.1 % of LTA) at station 2
Number of Rain Days During This Summer So Far: 12 (37.7 % of LTA) at station 1, 14 (48.6 % of LTA) at station 2
Number of Dry Days During This Summer So Far: 37 at station 1, 37 at station 2

Total Amount During This Year So Far: 391.2 mm (51.9 % of LTA) at station 1, 423.0 mm (60.1 % of LTA) at station 2
Number of Rain Days During This Year So Far: 66 (48.1 % of LTA) at station 1, 70 (56.4 % of LTA) at station 2
Number of Dry Days During This Year So Far: 108 at station 1, 103 at station 2

LTA = 1981-2010 average for the month, season or year in question at the particular station in question.

All of this data has been taken from SEPA with each observation day starting and ending on 09:00 UTC on each day.

johncs2016
28 July 2021 11:15:10
The final 24 hour rainfall totals up to 09:00 UTC (10am BST this morning) according to SEPA has now been confirmed as 2.0 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 11.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

In addition to that, there has been a further 0.2 mm of rain since then at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh as at 11am this morning, but no further recorded rainfall at Edinburgh Gogarbank during that same period.

That takes the totals for this month to 64.2 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 11am this morning along with 103.4 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

This means that more rain has now fallen during this month at Edinburgh Gogarbank than the 1981-2010 July average for that particular station so regardless of what happens between now and the end of this month, this month will now go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts as was already the case quite a while ago at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

ARTzeman
29 July 2021 08:01:20

99.9 mm This Month.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
ARTzeman
30 July 2021 10:26:41

106.1 mm This Month

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Hippydave
30 July 2021 16:52:59

Circa 84mm of rain for me so far this month - so wet but not excessively so. Some places locally will have had a fair bit more than that as there's been some storms we've missed out on that dropped a lot of rain. 

Home: Tunbridge Wells
Work: Tonbridge
Taylor1740
30 July 2021 17:22:32
120mm this month
NW Leeds - 150m amsl
Andy J
30 July 2021 21:51:05

23mm from this afternoon's downpours brings our July total to 111mm.  Currently the wettest July here since 2012.

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
speckledjim
31 July 2021 08:12:29
162.8mm - a wet month but not a washout as most of the rain came in torrential downpours over a few days.
Thorner, West Yorkshire

Journalism is organised gossip
doctormog
31 July 2021 08:18:56
49.6mm here (so far?) this month and the majority of that was on Wednesday.