johncs2016
26 July 2021 17:51:09

Rather frustratingly, these storms appear to passing to my east and are not getting any closer to here (Edinburgh generally doesn't get "interesting" weather after all, so that is to be expected).

There is the odd lightning stroke showing on the detector map and these storms are close enough, such that I should be able to hear any rumbles of thunder which come out of that, or see at least some of the lightning from that in the distance.

Up until now though, I haven't noticed anything in that regard.

Everything is looking very dark and threatening to my east and those cumulonimbus clouds look very majestic as they tower up into the sky.

However, the Sun still refuses to stop shining and it is still very hot and sticky here as a result.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
picturesareme
27 July 2021 00:51:11
We don't have underground stations that can flood and we are very flat..

Near to me after Sundays storm..

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/weather/roads-in-portsmouth-including-northern-parade-see-flash-flooding-after-heavy-rainfall-3322854 

picturesareme
27 July 2021 00:52:36

Storm's just moving in now with at least 10 flashes in around 2 minutes. Certainly seem more active than friday night's attempt. However the core might just move southeast of us just clipping as it moves inland towards Hayling.

picturesareme
27 July 2021 01:21:48
This is a violent storm!! Saw rotation in clouds just before its struck so probably supercell.. insane rainfall and winds probably around 50 mph ducking mental
picturesareme
27 July 2021 01:44:51
Net weather lighting detector has shown barely any lighting but this has just given one of the most electrical storm's in year's here with most overhead or very close.
picturesareme
27 July 2021 02:00:05
Crude estimates but we're going on for 3 inches of rain... comfortably 60mm.

Garden flooded.. most likely flooding around town but will here more in during day. I think because of the time of night most won't be affected, but still the noise of at one point almost constant thunder a lot will have been woken.
Bolty
27 July 2021 02:18:08

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

Net weather lighting detector has shown barely any lighting but this has just given one of the most electrical storm's in year's here with most overhead or very close.

I think those lightning detectors only tend to pick up CG lightning, rather than CC and IC lightning.

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Bolty
27 July 2021 02:19:28
The Met Office forecast has a couple of thunder symbols for this evening around here. Not that it really means much though, so I'll wait and see...
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
picturesareme
27 July 2021 02:33:10

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

I think those lightning detectors only tend to pick up CG lightning, rather than CC and IC lightning.

Must be because at it's peak there was at least 12 -14 flashes a minute. Lot's beautiful sheet lightning, and IC, but i only observed a few fork lightning.

Roger Parsons
27 July 2021 06:44:46
Thunderstorm activity building near Lincoln but at some distance from us for now.
R.
RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Chunky Pea
27 July 2021 07:10:29

You are right, and they only represent about 25% to 50% of flash producers in any one storm. 

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
marcus72
27 July 2021 07:56:46
I'll echo Pitcure's comments that last night's "direct hit" over Portsmouth and Hayling Island in Hampshire was quite something. Properly tropical. I don't think I've ever witnessed such an intense combination of wind, rain and lightning. Local weather station Chimet showed the squally wind picking up to around 50kts from nothing within an hour?! And this morning it's calm again. Quite surreal.
Langstone, SE Hampshire
ozone_aurora
27 July 2021 10:03:51

I sometimes noticed that lightning detectors (LDs) don't always pick up lightning. There was a thundersnow event in Lowestoft on night of 17/18 Jan 2013 that wasn't picked up by LDs.

There was also numerous volcanic lightning in the paroxysm of Etna on 4 Dec 2015, bu there are no record of it detected on LighningMaps.org.

This is why detection of extraterrestrial lightning by radio on Saturn & Venus has been fought with difficulties with false negatives, causing controversies (though Saturn lightning was finally confirmed in 2007).

Russwirral
27 July 2021 10:26:21
Very suddenly active over North wales, especially over towards wrexham
Tim A
27 July 2021 10:32:59

Originally Posted by: Russwirral 

Very suddenly active over North wales, especially over towards wrexham

Yes, just noticed that , hopefully a sign of things to come over a wider area a bit later. 

Quiet here, hazy sunshine and just under 20c. 

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

idot
  • idot
  • Advanced Member
27 July 2021 10:47:43
all to play for just about anywhere today - in England at least - alarm speed once again that showers can come out of nowhere. And again it is slow moving day wind wise.
picturesareme
27 July 2021 11:11:21

Originally Posted by: marcus72 

I'll echo Pitcure's comments that last night's "direct hit" over Portsmouth and Hayling Island in Hampshire was quite something. Properly tropical. I don't think I've ever witnessed such an intense combination of wind, rain and lightning. Local weather station Chimet showed the squally wind picking up to around 50kts from nothing within an hour?! And this morning it's calm again. Quite surreal.

Indeed. It will beinteresting to see how much rain was picked up at Thorney should it end up being the regional wet spot, however the core of the intense rain was over Portsmouth, west Hayling and the Northeast IOW. 

picturesareme
27 July 2021 11:15:52

Sevendust
27 July 2021 12:49:02

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

Good work - I was unaware of this until I saw some lightning shots from Jamie on the IOW.