Rob K
20 July 2021 15:29:34
Is it just me or has the Met Office become a bit more reactive to developments when putting out thunderstorm warnings? Rather than the vague yellow areas they now seem to put out small targeted amber zones as soon as the developments kick off.
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Russwirral
20 July 2021 15:36:33

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

Is it just me or has the Met Office become a bit more reactive to developments when putting out thunderstorm warnings? Rather than the vague yellow areas they now seem to put out small targeted amber zones as soon as the developments kick off.

Yeh definitely.... we sat under several much bigger storms last year with only a yellow warning for a few days at a time.

We had sever flooding, hail and tornado activity (the best thunderstorms of my life) it also covered a large proportion if not all of North west England.

Im hoping this isnt a case of South eastern sensitivity as we have seen countless times before... but I do hope this is the way warnings will be handled going forward... Ive always thought the threat of thunderstorms and what they can do to land and property far out weighs 3 inches of snowfall or strong winds. 

The damage they can do is often underplayed/under stressed.  Then next thing you know theres water coming into your car and peoples garden walls are falling down.

picturesareme
20 July 2021 15:54:06
Just watched a storm develop extremely fast.. then dissipate just as quick. Crazy.
KevBrads1
20 July 2021 16:00:47

Thaxted, Essex

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
picturesareme
20 July 2021 16:02:58
Storm that popped up out of nowhere & dissipated just as quick. Torrential rainfall underneath it.

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

lanky
20 July 2021 16:03:01

I seem to remember reading somewhere that they had updated their forecasting to allow them to forecast local weather more accurately after they updgraded their hardware recently so it could be that

I had noticed this on the longer range outlooks (next 2-3 days) as well where thet are pinpointing the shower activity more specifically

Martin
Richmond, Surrey
Rob K
20 July 2021 16:17:56

Originally Posted by: lanky 

I seem to remember reading somewhere that they had updated their forecasting to allow them to forecast local weather more accurately after they updgraded their hardware recently so it could be that

I had noticed this on the longer range outlooks (next 2-3 days) as well where thet are pinpointing the shower activity more specifically

I am not sure if they are forecasting more accurately so much as actually watching the radar and issuing warnings immediately once cells fire up.

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
RobN
  • RobN
  • Advanced Member
20 July 2021 16:42:29

Impressive long lived thundery downpour this pm in South Cambs.

Reminded me I haven't cleared my guttering in a long while

Just been out to set up a sump pump to drain my front garden.

Rob
In the flatlands of South Cambridgeshire 15m ASL.
chelseagirl
20 July 2021 16:47:20

Originally Posted by: RobN 

Impressive long lived thundery downpour this pm in South Cambs.

Reminded me I haven't cleared my guttering in a long while

Just been out to set up a sump pump to drain my front garden.

. And here in N Cambs we had distant thunder almost constantly for 45 mins, but never came close and remained dry. 😢

The Fenlands of Cambridgeshire
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
20 July 2021 17:15:25

I am not sure if they are forecasting more accurately so much as actually watching the radar and issuing warnings immediately once cells fire up.

Not sure about that. The Yellow Warning was on the Met O site this morning for thunder this afternoon and evening. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
fairweather
20 July 2021 18:15:30

Originally Posted by: Russwirral 

Yeh definitely.... we sat under several much bigger storms last year with only a yellow warning for a few days at a time.

We had sever flooding, hail and tornado activity (the best thunderstorms of my life) it also covered a large proportion if not all of North west England.

Im hoping this isnt a case of South eastern sensitivity as we have seen countless times before... but I do hope this is the way warnings will be handled going forward... Ive always thought the threat of thunderstorms and what they can do to land and property far out weighs 3 inches of snowfall or strong winds. 

The damage they can do is often underplayed/under stressed.  Then next thing you know theres water coming into your car and peoples garden walls are falling down.

Same old chip. Couldn't be further from the truth. In fact I'm amazed what we've had in S.E Essex this afternoon hasn't been on the main news.I am 71 years old and have just witnessed the most devastating torrential rain and hail in this area since I was a child. The only time I've seen hail like that was in Sydney, Australia. I recorded 14mm of rain in 15 minutes and that is an underestimate as most bounced out such is the severity.  My road was like you could go white water rafting down it. Hail stones bombarding down for 15 minutes, most over a cm in diameter. My daughter's neighbour's house filled with 2 foot of water. Roads closed and I saw a river of water flowing out from somebody's garage. Spoke to the fireman and he said they couldn't cope and the devastation was widespread. Many roads blocked and branches and debris everywhere. I suspect it didn't make the News as all happened around 4.30pm.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
picturesareme
20 July 2021 19:25:55

Originally Posted by: Russwirral 

Large hail, strong winds, frequent lightning and torrential rains. Reports on metoffice twitter of close to 45mm of rainfall in under 30 minutes from those storms near Leicestershire. Definitely worthy of the Amber warnings. 

DeeDee
20 July 2021 19:28:26

Heavy rain and thunder as that cell approaches from the north, getting very dark

Harpenden, Herts.
Jiries
20 July 2021 20:40:52

My brother reported storms in Letchworth and here nothing but broken up storms clouds came here and now clearing away.   Very warm 23C now.  So many reports of storms in NW storm thread and all seem from Northampton to Kent to eastern area are effected.  

TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
20 July 2021 20:43:41
Proper continental style in situ convection and single cell storms today. I missed them all but I love this kind of thing. They bubble up quickly in the heat, glaciate, big downburst and heavy rain or hail, then clear up as fast as they came. Much better than your grey, overlong, high based Spanish plume affairs.
Brockley, South East London 30m asl
Andy J
20 July 2021 21:25:37

Heard a lot of rumbling thunder earlier this evening coming from a spectacular storm cloud just to the south of me.  Looks like it hit the Saxilby/Lincoln area before dissipating.

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
Rob K
20 July 2021 22:27:18

Originally Posted by: Caz 

Not sure about that. The Yellow Warning was on the Met O site this morning for thunder this afternoon and evening. 

Yes they issued the yellow warning ahead of time. But what seems to be new is the amber overlay once storms actually form. 

BTW here is quite an impressive video of hail in Essex. https://twitter.com/charlottehuzzey/status/1417526194103328768?s=21 

ozone_aurora
21 July 2021 09:54:35

Originally Posted by: TimS 

Proper continental style in situ convection and single cell storms today. I missed them all but I love this kind of thing. They bubble up quickly in the heat, glaciate, big downburst and heavy rain or hail, then clear up as fast as they came. Much better than your grey, overlong, high based Spanish plume affairs.

Yes, these are typically low-based direct convective type storms, formed from strong surface heating usually peaking around 4 pm. There is strong diurnal variation with these storms, once the land cools convection stops. The air aloft must have been quite dry if I'm correct, aiding quick evaporation & dispersal. No direct convection occurs over the much cooler seas & the windward coasts continues to enjoy prolonged sunshine (but could also be foggy), whilst massive Cu con & Cb clouds tower inland.

On contrast, high base Spanish plume type storms are generally not formed from direct convection, but rather when the lower, humid troposphere becomes overheated during prolonged heatwave, & the cold air aloft starts making inroads from the Atlantic where the hot lower troposphere starts to convect into. Similarly, high base storms also occur when a tongue of hot, humid lower troposphere intrudes into areas of cold upper troposphere.

These storms show little diurnal variation. In fact the convective activity tends to peak on average about midnight. They can also develop over cool seas, even in foggy conditions, latter giving rather bizarre experience.

Sevendust
21 July 2021 10:19:26

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

Storm that popped up out of nowhere & dissipated just as quick. Torrential rainfall underneath it.

UserPostedImage

Yes that was very short-lived and isolated over the Bishops Waltham area. The cell was clearly visible from here.

Meanwhile AcCas banks around. Risk of storms again later today

picturesareme
21 July 2021 12:09:01

Originally Posted by: Sevendust 

Yes that was very short-lived and isolated over the Bishops Waltham area. The cell was clearly visible from here.

Meanwhile AcCas banks around. Risk of storms again later today

It was remarkably fast in both development & dissipation. I went to a shop with blue skies and a few AC on horizon, but 20 minutes later a towering anvil (bigger than picture portrays). I subsequently popped into lidl and by the time i came out the whole thing had broken apart.