moomin75
15 May 2021 09:32:44
As a frustrated cricket lover, it's time to dig out the Gallows Humour.
This sums up my mood this spring so far.

Witney, Oxfordshire
100m ASL
Downpour
15 May 2021 10:01:04
https://www.wetterzentrale.de/maps/ECMAVGEU00_240_34.png 

Having said that the t850s may not be that important in terms of how things feel if we get high pressure and sunshine.

Agreed. I think it’s sunshine levels primarily that dictate people’s ‘feel’ of the weather. I’d much rather 18c and sunny than 30c and cloudy/humid. 

Chingford
London E4
147ft
Hungry Tiger
15 May 2021 10:12:43

Originally Posted by: TimS 

Starting to feel a bit like covid, this spell of cold. Every time you think the end may be near, and the GH is on the run, some new variant pops up in the charts and condemns us to a few more weeks indoors.

Alex Dolan on Look East Weather last night inferred that at the end of next week the risk of frosts maybe returning.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Gooner
15 May 2021 10:13:18

Chart image

On the low side thankfully 

Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

Gooner
15 May 2021 10:14:25

Not a great deal of support at least

Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

fairweather
15 May 2021 10:15:35

Originally Posted by: moomin75 

I agree, this is the best we can hope. We can now very safely write off May and indeed write off spring as one of the worst we have seen.

I think we need to get away from the notion of seasons weatherwise. With Autumns being so mild and frost free these days it looks like we will have Summer and Winter only. Spring is either an early summer like last year with temps regularly in the twenties or like a late winter as this year.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
idj20
15 May 2021 12:16:03

Originally Posted by: fairweather 

I think we need to get away from the notion of seasons weatherwise. With Autumns being so mild and frost free these days it looks like we will have Summer and Winter only. Spring is either an early summer like last year with temps regularly in the twenties or like a late winter as this year.

In that case, it is basically 9 months long Autumn here at my end of Kent.

Speaking of which, it looks like another compact but active low pressure will be taking a short cut eastwards over the UK on Thursday delivering another round of strong winds and general rain to most of us. There are signs of a quick recovery by the following weekend courtesy of a ridge of high pressure - but sadly doesn't look like lasting that long.

Folkestone Harbour. 
KevBrads1
15 May 2021 13:01:44

As a frustrated cricket lover, it's time to dig out the Gallows Humour.
This sums up my mood this spring so far.

https://youtu.be/GbKE0gJETA0

I recall you writing off the Cricket World Cup in 2019 as going to be a disaster, matches are going to be rained off when in fact hardly any matches were affected by the weather and it was a brilliant tournament. 

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Downpour
15 May 2021 13:16:14

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

I recall you writing off the Cricket World Cup in 2019 as going to be a disaster, matches are going to be rained off when in fact hardly any matches were affected by the weather and it was a brilliant tournament. 

Yes. I also recall that. He writes everything off, summers, winters, everything. It’s beyond parody! 

Chingford
London E4
147ft
moomin75
15 May 2021 13:57:41

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

A lot of the early games were affected by the bad weather. It improved later if I recall.

Witney, Oxfordshire
100m ASL
Downpour
15 May 2021 22:18:06

A lot of the early games were affected by the bad weather. It improved later if I recall.

I think four out of the 48 games played in that tournament were rained off. 

Chingford
London E4
147ft
moomin75
16 May 2021 06:54:22

Originally Posted by: Downpour 

I think four out of the 48 games played in that tournament were rained off. 

In my defence, I said "affected by" not washed out.

Back to the models, GFS is again horrendous today, but glimmers of hope on both GEM and ECM today which show a good ridge after one more unsettled week.

It's another couple of straws to clutch at.

Witney, Oxfordshire
100m ASL
Ally Pally Snowman
16 May 2021 07:05:52

Back to the models, GFS is again horrendous today, but glimmers of hope on both GEM and ECM today which show a good ridge after one more unsettled week.

I think we might just be getting somewhere Moomin.  ECM finally gets rid of the Greenland high and bingo.

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/topkarten.php?map=1&model=ecm&var=1&run=0&time=240&lid=OP&h=0&mv=0&tr=24#mapref

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
16 May 2021 07:17:22

Jetstream continuing W-ly across France to Tue 26th (just a brief bump up into England Thu 20th) after which the flow starts to move north and after a loop has sorted itself out, is set to run from the NW across the UK Tue 1st. Nothing much in the way of settled weather for Britain.

16-dayer continues with unseasonably low temps for N Europe throughout, even the Med cool for week 1 but warming up week 2 esp Portugal (good for the holiday trade!), Focus for rain is from England across to the Alps week 1 and Iceland across to Scotland week 2.

GFS shows  more variation than yesterday; shallow LP to start with, brief burst of warmth and HP Thu 20th but immediately followed by quite a deep and stormy LP 980mb Ireland moving E-wards across the UK by Sat 22nd with follow-on N-lies to Tue 25th.  Another LP Wed 26th 980 mb S of Iceland moving to Scandinavia setting up a period of NW-lies with Britain on the edge between warm HP in Atlantic and cool LP over Scandi.

GEFS shows general agreement on cool temps (not as dramatic as yesterday) to Thu 27th after which mean is close to norm but a lot of variation after that (consistent with Britain on the edge as above; o[ & control going in different directions!) Rain in a showery pattern but total higher than previously forecast, decreasing after 27th

ECM rather different with LP Cornwall 995 mb  Thu 20th (no HP!) remaining cool with N-lies only to Mon 24th after which HP moves i from the SW, well established with warmth Wed 26th

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Jiries
16 May 2021 07:22:43

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

I think we might just be getting somewhere Moomin.  ECM finally gets rid of the Greenland high and bingo.

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/topkarten.php?map=1&model=ecm&var=1&run=0&time=240&lid=OP&h=0&mv=0&tr=24#mapref

They have to get rid of it as HP don't' belong to the north pole permanent as it belong toward the Azores and give us often HP times for the UK area in spring, summer and early Autumn months.  I am sure once 20C reached it will feel very warm as 30C after such a long time being cold.

Ally Pally Snowman
16 May 2021 08:11:14

Originally Posted by: Jiries 

They have to get rid of it as HP don't' belong to the north pole permanent as it belong toward the Azores and give us often HP times for the UK area in spring, summer and early Autumn months.  I am sure once 20C reached it will feel very warm as 30C after such a long time being cold.

I think there is a very good chance now of a significant improvement in about 8 to 10 days. ECM loses the GH as early as 144h which is a massive step forward. 

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Downpour
16 May 2021 08:43:01

Indeed, ECM looks great this morning and as you say it’s not without support from the other models (GEM backs it up).

That signal has been there for a while now. GFS toys with it every so often, drops it, then picks it back up again. 

More runs needed! cool

Chingford
London E4
147ft
moomin75
16 May 2021 09:13:32

Originally Posted by: Downpour 

Indeed, ECM looks great this morning and as you say it’s not without support from the other models (GEM backs it up).

That signal has been there for a while now. GFS toys with it every so often, drops it, then picks it back up again. 

More runs needed! cool

Blimey, wonders will never cease, we agree on something 😅😅😅

Yep, more runs needed, but there are very small acorns now...let's hope its a sign of a significant pattern shift. I really hope so. Fingers crossed.

Witney, Oxfordshire
100m ASL
Downpour
16 May 2021 10:13:33

Blimey, wonders will never cease, we agree on something 😅😅😅

Yep, more runs needed, but there are very small acorns now...let's hope its a sign of a significant pattern shift. I really hope so. Fingers crossed.

I often agree with you! I just don’t agree with writing off whole seasons before they have started: nothing personal. In any case, worth watching GFS’s runs today, they often vary wildly from run to run at 8 day range so worth keeping an eye on whether any of them back the AH a la ECM and GEM…

Chingford
London E4
147ft
moomin75
16 May 2021 10:45:25
The extremely annoying GFS is sticking to its unsettled and cool guns again on the 6z. Let's hope it starts backing down soon. Pretty dreadful fare again from the US model.
Witney, Oxfordshire
100m ASL