Devonian
13 May 2021 06:32:54

Originally Posted by: fairweather 

What we need is rain, more rain and some warmth. Speaking from a gardening point of view of course. 10mm the other day doesn't really cut it. Back to bone dry wind although at least the sun is bringing some warmth now and temperatures creeping up to average.

115mm or so here this month, 50mm or so in the last 24 hrs. It's been raining, without a break and often heavily, since about 2pm yesterday the temperature is 6.3C.

We've gone from dust to mud in a week.

I'd quite like some nice weather...

"When it takes nearly 900,000 votes to elect one party’s MP, and just 26,000 for another, you know something is deeply wrong."

The electoral reform society, 14,12,19
johncs2016
13 May 2021 07:27:36
Can the Greenland High please do us a favour and go away, but remember to come back next winter so that it can deliver some cold weather to these parts at that time?

Because of this Greenland High, our weather systems are being pushed too far south to such an extent that it is the southerners who are likely to see any interesting weather which is around over the next few days in terms of thunderstorms, etc. whilst we just are likely to just get a load of easterly muck coming in from off the North Sea with nothing which is even remotely interesting in terms of our weather, actually happening in this most boring part of the UK on average when it comes to our weather.

What we need is for everything to be much further north not to allow the rest of the UK (including here in Edinburgh) to get the more interesting weather which the South of England is likely to see over the next few days, but so that we can actually be on the warm side of the jet stream.

At the moment, we are on the cold side of that jet stream as a result of these low pressure systems being kept on a more southerly track by the Greenland High. To have a chance of getting any warm weather though, we need to be on the warm side of this jet stream and if that happens, that might even allow the Azores High to build in and bring us some decent weather along with those warmer temperatures.

At the moment though, I'm not seeing that happening any time soon and so, the omens are continuing to look really bad for the coming summer which starts in not much over a couple of weeks' time.

That in turn makes it very likely that we will now going into the start of the meteorological summer still waiting for our first temperatures of this year, of 20°C or higher here in Edinburgh, which is very poor indeed.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
13 May 2021 07:36:03

Originally Posted by: Devonian 

115mm or so here this month, 50mm or so in the last 24 hrs. It's been raining, without a break and often heavily, since about 2pm yesterday the temperature is 6.3C.

We've gone from dust to mud in a week.

I'd quite like some nice weather...

I agree. Not as much rain as you but this current little low well modelled.

A few weeks ago I laid some 'Leaky Pipe' porous irrigation tubing I had in store in the garden. It works well but I'm wondering if I will need it this year but being on free draining sandy loam I probably will at some stage. 

Knowing that a wet summer is possible I've just invested in some decent wet weather clothing with the understanding that there's no bad weather just being unprepared for it or having the wrong clothes. It's all in the mind. I can put up with the rain it's the strong winds I hate. That said some proper warmth would be welcome. 

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Martybhoy
13 May 2021 15:56:44

WTF is this Spring all about? Very, very weird where I am. Only now are wee finally seeing a return to green and things feel a good month behind.

I have seen snow for 8 months in a row now.

200m above sea level
Rural East Ayrshire
Near to the village of Sorn
Saint Snow
13 May 2021 16:01:29

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

It is turning into one of the most interesting springs for years, meteorologically, for me.

Getting a cold, very dry April is very unusual, the frost frequency was exceptional, we had early season heatwave at the end of March and now we have thunderstorms occurring over various parts of the country.

Last spring may have been perfect but it was a borefest, meteorologically.

I'd swap this year's 'meteorologically interesting' spring with last's in a heartbeat (and I didn't at all mind the dry, chilly April this year)

But I'll take this crap May and even a rubbish June if we get a 'meteorological borefest' July & August with day after day of sunny, dry, warm weather

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
noodle doodle
13 May 2021 16:04:38
It's a typical mid-November day here in Edinburgh 🙂
springsunshine
14 May 2021 08:58:27

At the moment though, I'm not seeing that happening any time soon and so, the omens are continuing to look really bad for the coming summer which starts in not much over a couple of weeks' time.

That in turn makes it very likely that we will now going into the start of the meteorological summer still waiting for our first temperatures of this year, of 20°C or higher here in Edinburgh, which is very poor indeed.

Don`t worry,its the same down here in the far south! We have not got anywhere near 20c yet and are struggling to get any 15c daily max`s,iam now fed up with not having any warmth and i share your pessimism re the coming summer,its not looking good at all.

Snowjoke
14 May 2021 10:30:59

This awful cold spring is not confined to the UK. Here in central France we have yet to see any sustained warmth since February when it was unseasonably warm. Biting cold wind out there today after a night of heavy rain. Rain all day tomorrow and Sunday.

Got to say that much of spring 2020 was terrible but this year is going to beat it. I cannot figure out how we are only 400km from the Med coast of France and it is so bloody cool!

It was 17 degrees in Nice the other day and 28 degrees in parts of Finland! What the hell is going on?

johncs2016
14 May 2021 10:46:56

Originally Posted by: springsunshine 

Don`t worry,its the same down here in the far south! We have not got anywhere near 20c yet and are struggling to get any 15c daily max`s,iam now fed up with not having any warmth and i share your pessimism re the coming summer,its not looking good at all.

We weren't even able to get into double figures here in Edinburgh during yesterday, let alone up to 20°C or above.

That is how bad it is here just now and if that was to continue into the summer, it would be the polar opposite to having night-time minimum temperatures in the middle of winter, which are in double figures.

With the way that this is going, it wouldn't surprise me if that was what ended up happening.

It won't be long now before the summer moaning thread is started on this forum, but I reckon that will end up being a much busier thread than normal if our current weather pattern does indeed, continue into the summer.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Chunky Pea
14 May 2021 16:51:17

Originally Posted by: SnowJoke 

It was 17 degrees in Nice the other day and 28 degrees in parts of Finland! What the hell is going on?

The infamous 'Year without a Summer' resulted from a largely similar pattern (very cold western Europe/very warm eastern Europe). 

One thing in our favour this time around is that it isn't summer.. yet. 

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
Tim A
14 May 2021 21:08:21
Been in West Wales for the last week and it has been disappointing. Two complete washout days , cool and showery the rest of the time and not that much sunshine.

Sure it's by the coast and I wasn't expecting to hit the jackpot with a sunny easterly but just a few pleasant days would have been nice. Sunshine amounts have been very poor for a coastal location.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Bolty
15 May 2021 01:32:02
One thing that is better is at least the nights have turned milder (for now) and we aren't getting all those horrid night frosts anymore. Still 10°C here tonight, so at least feeling a bit more like a spring night.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
KevBrads1
15 May 2021 07:21:44

I think this spring could be one of the most remarkable we have ever seen.

April was very unusual, it is the coldest April that was so dry since at least 1766, to then be followed possibly a by a cooler and wetter than average May could possibly be unique (record wise). Add in the fact that 24+C was recorded at the end of March.

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
severnside
15 May 2021 10:18:40

Up to 80mm of rain so far. This morning wet and dreary once again, and 10 C. Everybody's attention is only to the Greenland High, however I think just as important is the huge High over North Western Russia, its been there for just as long. I am very sure this also has a effect on distorting the jet-stream and making it dip into Western Europe with Low pressure plaguing us.  maybe Putin has a secret weapon that controls High Pressure blocking !

Bolty
15 May 2021 18:13:41

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

I think this spring could be one of the most remarkable we have ever seen.

April was very unusual, it is the coldest April that was so dry since at least 1766, to then be followed possibly a by a cooler and wetter than average May could possibly be unique (record wise). Add in the fact that 24+C was recorded at the end of March.

It's certainly been an interesting year. Only March has been a bit boring so far, but it did have that very warm spell right at the end of it. Comparing it with previous years, it seems like this has been a very 80s year so far. Let's just hope that doesn't continue into the summer, unless it's similar to 1983 or 1989 (excluding May).

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Weathermac
15 May 2021 21:25:25
My warmest day this spring was back in March 23c nothing near that since and not looking like beating that this month currently. This is one of the worst springs I can remember the trees around here are reluctant to fully leaf Ash trees are still not in leaf even my fish are struggling now we all need some warmth but no sign of any alas.
KevBrads1
16 May 2021 06:50:04

IMO, I don't think this spring is as bad as some are making out. April was hardly a washout, cloud fest. It was exceptionally dry and sunny. That's a third of the meteological spring. The worst months are the cloudfest months. 

March wasn't a cold washout neither although I would say May so far has been the poorest of the spring months. The one thing going for this May has been the convective activity. 

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
idj20
20 May 2021 16:41:59

Sad to think that on this very afternoon last year, I was sitting on a garden chair with 24 C under unbroken sunshine. Right now, 12 C with a strong in your face southerly wind trying to tip my recycling wheelie bin over.

Folkestone Harbour. 
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
20 May 2021 16:56:52

Indeed Ian from post above. Where I've been working today we had to shut the ramparts of the Fort due to high winds. The public liability insurance doesn't cover someone blowing off the ramparts when the wind is over a certain windspeed. And it was a howling autumnal style gale.

Interesting day though including a Russian lady and her Brit hubby. Growing up in 70's Cold War Moscow she was shxt scared of the West as much as we were of Russia. The nuclear bunker underneath her as we chatted and a place she was able to explore today, brought home to her how serious the situation was back then. Madness both sides and how did we get into that mindset? she said.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
cultman1
21 May 2021 09:51:01
Terrible day here in Fulham cold strong winds and no end in sight to what must be the worst spring in living memory if it’s warmth you are after! I really fear that early to mid summer may become a washout unless there is a major pattern change which seems highly unlikely in the weeks ahead