Global Warming
01 May 2021 08:25:15

This thread is for all comments, discussion, and analysis of temperatures in the UK during May, with particular emphasis on the Central England Temperature (CET), for the simple reason that it is the longest-running temperature series in the world with over 360 years of data. But you can comment on any interesting temperature statistics or data from across the UK, including your own backyard. 

For those taking part in the competition, all CET predictions for May should be sent directly to me via the forum private message system. Please do not post them directly into the thread.  

Historic CET summary for May

1981-2010 11.66C (30 years)   

1991-2020 11.90C (30 years)  

2001-2020 12.02C (last 20 years)  

Last year May was above average at 12.5C. The prior year was slightly below average with 11.2C. 2017 and 2018 were both very warm and above 13C. We have had a few cold May's in recent years, 10.8C in 2015, 10.4C in 2013, and 10.7C in 2010. 

Here is a chart of the May CET for all years since 1961  

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

Direct link to a larger version of the chart

Current model output    

850s start the month below average. After the first week there is a lot of scatter and the ENS mean is around average. 

GEFS 850s 

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/de/show_diagrams.php?geoid=49069&model=gfs&var=2&run=99&lid=ENS&bw=

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/de/show_diagrams.php?geoid=49069&model=gfs&var=5&run=99&lid=ENS&bw=

ECM (de Bilt) also looks cool although there are a number of much warmer runs in the second week of May

http://cdn.knmi.nl/knmi/map/page/weer/waarschuwingen_verwachtingen/ensemble/detail/ensemble-verwachtingen-detail10.png

Met Office contingency planners outlook  

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/assets/metofficegovuk/pdf/business/public-sector/civil-contingency/3moutlook-mjj-v1.pdf

The 3-month outlook is still a 35% chance of warmer than average conditions (which is 1.8x normal and the same as last month). Cooler conditions are 0.5x normal probability. Didn't exactly work out well in April!

For May there is a 55% chance of near-normal temperatures and 30% chance of above-average temperatures. 

Lower than average SSTs around the UK at present favour cooler than average conditions.

Gavin D
02 May 2021 10:23:17

Hadley

6.6c to the 1st

2.8c below the 61 to 90 average
4.0c below the 81 to 10 average

Current high this month 6.6c on the 1st
Current low this month 6.6c on the 1st

ARTzeman
02 May 2021 10:25:45
Met Office Hadley 6.6c Anomaly -2.8c provisional to 1st.
Metcheck 5.38c Anomaly -6.03c
Netweather 6.93c Anomaly -4.38c
Peasedown St John 6.93c Anomaly -8.37c.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
KevBrads1
02 May 2021 15:24:03
The CET minimum of April 2021 was 1.0C but the period 3rd April-2nd May 2021 CET minimum is provisionally 0.7C!
MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
ARTzeman
03 May 2021 10:58:09

Met Office Hadley        6.7c      Anomaly     -2.7c provisional to 2dnd

Metcheck                     6.58c    Anomaly     -4.82c

Netweather                  7.36c    Anomaly     -3.95c

Peasedown St John     6.6c     Anomaly      -5.8c.                 

Others just get wet.
Global Warming
03 May 2021 14:15:53

First look at the May CET tracker

The very cold weather continues for the first week of the month. Signs of a pattern change from next weekend as things could potentially turn milder and above average. 

Chart 1

Chart 2

Global Warming
03 May 2021 14:35:44

Here is the list of predictions for May

Chart 1

Saint Snow
03 May 2021 23:03:06

I see Gusty's taking the "sh*t or bust" route 

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Ally Pally Snowman
04 May 2021 06:26:55

Originally Posted by: Global Warming 

Here is the list of predictions for May

Chart 1

Looking at the latest GFS have we all gone to high again. 

1816 again anyone?

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
ARTzeman
04 May 2021 10:19:40

Met Office Hadley        7.2c      Anomaly      -2.4c provisional to 3rd

Metcheck                     6.98c    Anomaly      -4.42c

Netweather                  7.73c    Anomaly      -3.58c

Peasedown St John     7.4c      Anomaly      -5.0c.

Others just get wet.
Spring Sun Winter Dread
04 May 2021 12:57:18

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

Looking at the latest GFS have we all gone to high again. 

1816 again anyone?

I must say I was quite shocked to be so far down the list with 10.5c.

I thought we'd have a few more takers for well below average after the April we've just had and the frankly dismal charts for the next week or so.

May hasn't really been given a proper cold edition since the exceptional 1996, and that year would have been even more exceptional were it not for the heatwave at its very conclusion. We are going to need a significantly improved prognosis in the second half to avoid a similar calamity this year at this rate 

springsunshine
04 May 2021 15:05:42

Originally Posted by: Spring Sun Winter Dread 

I must say I was quite shocked to be so far down the list with 10.5c.

I thought we'd have a few more takers for well below average after the April we've just had and the frankly dismal charts for the next week or so.

May hasn't really been given a proper cold edition since the exceptional 1996, and that year would have been even more exceptional were it not for the heatwave at its very conclusion. We are going to need a significantly improved prognosis in the second half to avoid a similar calamity this year at this rate 

Iam also suprised to be so far down the list to! It would be interesting to know why so many have so high? I really think this May is going to be a shocker as well as the whole of summer 2021.

Hippydave
04 May 2021 20:30:32

Originally Posted by: springsunshine 

Iam also suprised to be so far down the list to! It would be interesting to know why so many have so high? I really think this May is going to be a shocker as well as the whole of summer 2021.

I went average purely because it seems to be very difficult getting below average months these days and getting 2 in a row seemed unlikely. We're at that time of year where a cool start can easily be overcome by a few days of very high temps and it wouldn't surprise me to see some real warmth drawn up later on. 

Home: Tunbridge Wells
Work: Tonbridge
KevBrads1
04 May 2021 21:09:38

I suspect the 30 day CET running mean is actually less than the equivalent period in 1986.

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Gusty
05 May 2021 10:17:19

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

I see Gusty's taking the "sh*t or bust" route 

We know the answer to that already ! 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

ARTzeman
05 May 2021 10:21:04

Met Office Hadley       7.4c     Anomaly     -2.2c provisional to the 4th

Metcheck                    6.81c   Anomaly     -4.60c

Netweather                 7.84c   Anomaly     -3.47c

Peasedown St John    7.6c     Anomaly     -4.8c.

Others just get wet.
Spring Sun Winter Dread
05 May 2021 17:54:59
I think May is going to be a cold one but wouldn't be so sure the trend will extend into the summer months. The cold springs 1996 and 2013 were both followed by pretty decent summers ; if anything I tend to worry if we get too much warm weather too early that we've "used up our luck" for the year and will be punished with a dreadful summer (2007 being the classic example of this)
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
05 May 2021 18:34:37

Originally Posted by: Hippydave 

I went average purely because it seems to be very difficult getting below average months these days and getting 2 in a row seemed unlikely. We're at that time of year where a cool start can easily be overcome by a few days of very high temps and it wouldn't surprise me to see some real warmth drawn up later on. 

I went just above average but my thinking was exactly the same as yours.  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
06 May 2021 05:02:35

Originally Posted by: Caz 

I went just above average but my thinking was exactly the same as yours.  

I went just below but the thinking was the same. Then again, I thought the same for April....

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
06 May 2021 05:49:22

Originally Posted by: Col 

I went just below but the thinking was the same. Then again, I thought the same for April....

My thinking was the same for April too but you did considerably better than I did.  You have more to lose than I have this month.  Good luck.   

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.