2013 247

2014 236

2015 192

2016 189

2017 192

2018 272

2019 199

2020 182

I'm surprised 19 and 20 aren't higher over here in the East they were both good with lots of useable weather with occasional  bursts of heat.

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
18 April 2021 08:17:44

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

Certainly a very interesting April so far. Not only the coldest for some time but also extremely dry too - quite an unusual pairing in the summer half of the year. Personally I'm not a fan of cold months at this time of year but this one has been a lot more tolerable because of the dryness and quite a fair amount of sunshine. I'm just thankful it hasn't turned out like April 2012.

The CET may be heading for a notably low figure this month but I don't think April so far will go down as particularly cold with the general public. The reason being of course that it has been the many air frosts that have dragged the average down, daytime temps have been pretty close to normal and this is what most people will experience when they are 'out and about'. That said I'm not most people and I walk 2.5 miles to work every morning wearing shorts, leaving at 4.45am. It's pretty cold then, I can tell you! But most people won't experience that, they will just have the pleasant enough daytime temps, plenty of sun and increasingly in this April, lack of rain. Therefore it will go down as a 'good' spell of weather.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
ARTzeman
18 April 2021 10:14:30

Met Ofice Hadly       5.7c      Anomaly    -1.5c provisional t 17th

Metcheck                 5.19c    Anomaly     -2.83c

Netweather              5.72c    Anomaly     -2.39c

Peasedown St John 5.4c     Anomaly   -3.0c.      

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
ARTzeman
19 April 2021 10:15:59

Met Office Hadley        5.8c     Anomaly     -1.5cprovisional to 18th

Metcheck                     5.31c   Anomaly      -27.1c

Netweather                  5.84c   Anomaly      -2.27c

Peasedown St John     5.7c     Anomaly      -2.7c.   

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
20 April 2021 10:16:43

Met Office Hadley       5.9c      Anomaly      -1.4c provisional to 19th

Metcheck                    5.49c    Anomaly      -2.53c

Netweather                 6.01c    Anomaly      -2.1c

Peasedown St John    5.94c     Anomaly     -2.46c.   

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
21 April 2021 12:05:34

Met Office Hadley        6.1c     Anomaly   -1.2c provisional to 20th

Metcheck                     5.72c   Anomaly    -2.30c

Netweather                  6.22c   Anomaly    -1.89c

Peasedown St john     5.9c.    Anomaly     -2.5c.    

Others just get wet.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
22 April 2021 05:17:35

Originally Posted by: Col 

The CET may be heading for a notably low figure this month but I don't think April so far will go down as particularly cold with the general public. The reason being of course that it has been the many air frosts that have dragged the average down, daytime temps have been pretty close to normal and this is what most people will experience when they are 'out and about'. That said I'm not most people and I walk 2.5 miles to work every morning wearing shorts, leaving at 4.45am. It's pretty cold then, I can tell you! But most people won't experience that, they will just have the pleasant enough daytime temps, plenty of sun and increasingly in this April, lack of rain. Therefore it will go down as a 'good' spell of weather.

Yes I agree with you.  

We are just off for our regular morning walk, only 3K and I wrap up warm in a coat, hat and jogging bottoms but it’s still cold on the knees.  It’s frosty and -3c but once the sun gets out you can feel its warmth.  We do the same walk in the afternoon in T. Shirt sleeves, when the temp is in the teens and people we pass comment on the lovely weather.  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
ARTzeman
22 April 2021 11:34:14

Met Office Hadley         6.3c     Anomaly    -1.1c provisional to 21st

Metcheck                      5.73c    Anomaly    -2.29c

Netweather                   6.37c    Anomaly    -1.74c

Peasedown St John     6.24c     Anomaly    -2.16c. 

Others just get wet.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
22 April 2021 15:48:25

Originally Posted by: Caz 

Yes I agree with you.  

We are just off for our regular morning walk, only 3K and I wrap up warm in a coat, hat and jogging bottoms but it’s still cold on the knees.  It’s frosty and -3c but once the sun gets out you can feel its warmth.  We do the same walk in the afternoon in T. Shirt sleeves, when the temp is in the teens and people we pass comment on the lovely weather.  

For me I wear shorts for comfort on my daily walk to work, a couple of degrees of frost is perfectly OK, as long as I keep up a brisk pace. As long as I 'wrap up warm' up top my bare legs don't seem to mind the cold. What I really don't like is wind chill. -2C and calm is fine but a higher temerature with a wind giving a wind chill of that value is far more unpleasant. Shorts were fine for much of the winter but during the cold spells of Jan & Feb I was wearing trousers just like anybody else!

As for the CET well it's creeping up now but there's going to have to be a major heatwave at the end of the month for to get anywhere close to my 8.15C estimate and there isn't any sighn of that at the moment. Still, I'mtowards the bottom end of the predictions range so it could be worse. There willl be some large errors this month, that's for sure.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
ARTzeman
23 April 2021 11:14:20

Met Office Hadley         6.4c      Anomaly     -1.1c provisional to 22nd

Metcheck                      5.79c    Anomaly     -2.23c

Netweather                   6.43c    Anomaly     -1.68c

Peasedown St John     6.33c     Anomaly      -2.07c. 

Others just get wet.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
23 April 2021 13:28:42

Originally Posted by: Col 

For me I wear shorts for comfort on my daily walk to work, a couple of degrees of frost is perfectly OK, as long as I keep up a brisk pace. As long as I 'wrap up warm' up top my bare legs don't seem to mind the cold. What I really don't like is wind chill. -2C and calm is fine but a higher temerature with a wind giving a wind chill of that value is far more unpleasant. Shorts were fine for much of the winter but during the cold spells of Jan & Feb I was wearing trousers just like anybody else!

As for the CET well it's creeping up now but there's going to have to be a major heatwave at the end of the month for to get anywhere close to my 8.15C estimate and there isn't any sighn of that at the moment. Still, I'mtowards the bottom end of the predictions range so it could be worse. There willl be some large errors this month, that's for sure.

Bare legs are OK in cold weather if you’re used to it.  Hubby used to shudder when he saw people in shorts on frosty mornings.  However, I reminded him that all young boys wore them for school when we were young and didn’t wear long ‘uns until you got to senior school.  Girls wore skirts and socks, so our knees were always open to the elements and we didn’t notice it.  

There’s no way we’re going to get near my 9.2c guess and it looks like we’ll end below average.  Down I go!  

Ally Pally Snowman
23 April 2021 13:33:03

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 

Met Office Hadley         6.4c      Anomaly     -1.1c provisional to 22nd

Metcheck                      5.79c    Anomaly     -2.23c

Netweather                   6.43c    Anomaly     -1.68c

Peasedown St John     6.33c     Anomaly      -2.07c. 

Almost certain now we've all gone to high. 

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
23 April 2021 18:11:51

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

Almost certain now we've all gone to high. 

Yes it’s certainly looking that way, especially with GW’s predicted downgrade. 

Global Warming
23 April 2021 19:13:39

April CET now looking like it will come in around 6.5C. Could be the coldest April since 1986 and the joint second coldest April since 1941.

CET mean is trending exactly 2C below the 1981-2010 mean and 0.67C below the March figure.

Minimum CET is currently a massive 3.2C below average.

Maximum CET is currently 0.8C below average.

No one is going to even be in the ballpark when it comes to the competition this month. I declare no one to be the winner!

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

Chart 1

Chart 2

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
24 April 2021 05:35:40

Originally Posted by: Global Warming 

April CET now looking like it will come in around 6.5C. Could be the coldest April since 1986 and the joint second coldest April since 1941.

CET mean is trending exactly 2C below the 1981-2010 mean and 0.67C below the March figure.

Minimum CET is currently a massive 3.2C below average.

Maximum CET is currently 0.8C below average.

No one is going to even be in the ballpark when it comes to the competition this month. I declare no one to be the winner!

Chart 1

Chart 2

A very unusual month, dry with some warm, sunny days but hard frosts at night.  Fooled us all!  Has there ever been an occasion when we’ve all gone too high or too low?  Or is this a first?  

KevBrads1
24 April 2021 05:52:06

If it comes is at 6.5C, it will the first April to be below its 1961-90 average by at least 1.0C since that average came into existence. Remarkable, it is the only month that hasn't achieved this so far. 

It could be the coolest driest April as well.

Coolest driest April is 1855 with a CET of 7.1C and EWP of 19.9mm. That's the coolest April that is in the top 20 driest Aprils on record for England and Wales.

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
splinter
24 April 2021 06:32:34

A very unusual month, dry with some warm, sunny days but hard frosts at night.  Fooled us all!  Has there ever been an occasion when we’ve all gone too high or too low?  Or is this a first?  

Hi, Caz I know of at least two months when we've all gone too high or low as I won the competition in those months. In April last year, I won with the highest prediction of 10.2c. The final figure was 10.4c. I also won in October 2019 with the lowest prediction of 10.1c, the month came in at 10.0c.

Looks like I am about to make it a hat trick of winning from the edge of the pack. I'm guessing other months like December 2015 would be contenders.

Croydon, South London
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
24 April 2021 08:22:55

Bare legs are OK in cold weather if you’re used to it.  Hubby used to shudder when he saw people in shorts on frosty mornings.  However, I reminded him that all young boys wore them for school when we were young and didn’t wear long ‘uns until you got to senior school.  Girls wore skirts and socks, so our knees were always open to the elements and we didn’t notice it.  

There’s no way we’re going to get near my 9.2c guess and it looks like we’ll end below average.  Down I go!  

Well my bare legs are certainly used to the cold. Last winter I wore shorts practically every day walking to work, this winter there were a number of spells when it was simply too cold but I was still OK most of the time. I enjoy the feeling of fresh air on my skin, I find it 'invigorating'. As long as you keep moving it's fine, it's not as if I'm sitting waiting at bus stops. I just find shorts far more comfortable than trousers, especially when walking so I wear them almost all the time, other than when I'm actually at work.

You have just asked the question that I was wondering about, in that has there ever been a month where everybody has gone either too high or too low. Seems like there has, and we have an expert in Splinter in picking them out! As my 8.15C prediction is towards the bottom of the pack I won't do too badly this month relatively speaking.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
ARTzeman
24 April 2021 10:31:35

Met Office Hadley       6.5c.      Anomaly      -1.1c provisional to 23rd

Metcheck                    5.94c     Anomaly      -2.08c

Netweather                 6.57c     Anomaly      -1.54c

Peasedown St John    6.6c     Anomaly      -1.08c.  

Others just get wet.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
24 April 2021 18:38:37

Originally Posted by: splinter 

Hi, Caz I know of at least two months when we've all gone too high or low as I won the competition in those months. In April last year, I won with the highest prediction of 10.2c. The final figure was 10.4c. I also won in October 2019 with the lowest prediction of 10.1c, the month came in at 10.0c.

Looks like I am about to make it a hat trick of winning from the edge of the pack. I'm guessing other months like December 2015 would be contenders.

Oh wow!  Well done!    I know on a few occasions we’ve suggested we’d all gone too far either way but you must hold a record there!