moomin75
27 March 2021 17:00:23

I am incredulous that this upcoming bitterly cold spell, unlike in winter months, is showing no sign of downgrading as we get closer. If anything, the strength, and length, of the spell is increasing. This is so typical of this God-forsaken dump of a country. Cold at this time of the year is just not welcome.
We are just about to emerge from a 4 month lockdown since Christmas, and I had plans to restart cricket coaching with young cricketers and start planning to be outdoors more, and then this. It beggars belief the luck of this country.
Twelve months ago, just as Lockdown 1 started, we were moved into a spell of gorgeous, glorious, almost summer like weather for virtually the whole duration of lockdown, when it was not possible to make the most of it.
I sometimes wonder if there is a greater being out there that does this deliberately to crush our resolve.
Mental health is so critical for people, and this disastrous spell of cold will have a devastating impact on many people, wildlife and flora.
It just sucks, it really does!

Witney, Oxfordshire
100m ASL
Tim A
27 March 2021 17:49:10
If the mega cold blast charts do come off , there will be lots of sunshine around , get a bit of a shelter and it will be fine. Might actually be more pleasant then damp westerlies.
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

bledur
27 March 2021 19:03:28

Originally Posted by: moomin75 

I am incredulous that this upcoming bitterly cold spell, unlike in winter months, is showing no sign of downgrading as we get closer. If anything, the strength, and length, of the spell is increasing. This is so typical of this God-forsaken dump of a country. Cold at this time of the year is just not welcome.
We are just about to emerge from a 4 month lockdown since Christmas, and I had plans to restart cricket coaching with young cricketers and start planning to be outdoors more, and then this. It beggars belief the luck of this country.
Twelve months ago, just as Lockdown 1 started, we were moved into a spell of gorgeous, glorious, almost summer like weather for virtually the whole duration of lockdown, when it was not possible to make the most of it.
I sometimes wonder if there is a greater being out there that does this deliberately to crush our resolve.
Mental health is so critical for people, and this disastrous spell of cold will have a devastating impact on many people, wildlife and flora.
It just sucks, it really does!

I would have thought endless rain and drizzle is far worse than bright, cold , dry weather regarding mental health. At least if it is dry you can do things outside.

Bolty
28 March 2021 00:17:59
If there's one consolation, at least the Easter weekend isn't looking as bad now. Over the last few days the models have pushed the cold back by a few days, as it's arriving on Easter Monday now, instead of screaming in on Good Friday like they were suggesting a few days ago. Hopefully another they'll delay for it for another few hours again as we move through the week and we might end up with a decentish one.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Ally Pally Snowman
28 March 2021 05:46:05

I Wouldn't exactly call these temps bitterly cold. Barely chilly in the south. Beware GFS forecast temps its upgrade has seemingly made it even more extreme. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
richardabdn
28 March 2021 13:09:33

So bored by the never ending mild cloudy and/or windy dirge that has been relentless since mid-February, making this the most soul destroyingly tedious late winter/early spring I have ever experienced, that I haven't bothered coming on here for about a week.

I see talk of a very potent cold, snowy northerly at Easter which I would welcome as a rare opportunity to experience interesting weather these days.

However I have no doubt that it will fail to come off and what we will end up with will be standard cold April weather which I detest. Grey skies, rain and single figure maxes  Pretty much guaranteed in April following a prolonged mild spell in February.

There was an unusually warm, sunny and dry run of Aprils from 2002-11 but since 2012 there has been a reversion to normal with the sort of crap I described above present in abundance. 

2012 - absolutely horrific cold, grey and wet month. Dullest April since 1941 and lowest absolute max since 1932 with only 6 days reaching double figures 

2013 - Very cold first half 

2014 - Chilly easterly grot in the first week and a vile foggy sunless final third

2016 - Cold and wet with little warmth

2017 - Cool, drizzly and dull second half

2018 - Cold and grey first half - missed out on the snow Edinburgh got (another familiar tale of woe in recent years )

2019 - Same as 2018

I'd rather have snow on Easter Monday than the vomit we got last year - grey skies with a max of 7.6C  

2020 - The worst year for the weekend curse and all Holiday Mondays were awful with only one exception. The May Day was lovely and sunny but only because the holiday was moved to the Friday which was vile with grey skies and rain

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Bolty
11 April 2021 22:05:21
It's definitely been an interesting spell, but I've more than had enough of cold and wintry weather now and am longing for something a bit warmer. At least as this week progresses the temperatures by day will be a bit more what you'd expect for mid-April which will feel very decent with sunshine and light winds. Just no more cold plunges now please? Ta.
Scott
My weather station 
KevBrads1
12 April 2021 05:31:18
-5.4C before dawn here. Been some pretty sharp frosts for April this month but the clarity of the Arctic airmasses have made for excellent stargazing. Shame no significant aurora have occurred

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
18 April 2021 08:20:14

It has taken 4 or 5 weeks to go from longing that the rain would stop to longing that the rain would fall again, with the garden going from a quagmire to baked dry.  Just like last year and (IIRC) the year before. Doh!

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
Saint Snow
25 April 2021 22:10:20

I'm rather enjoying this fine spell. Lovely weekend of unbroken sunshine, temps topping out at 16/17c, gentle easterly drift.

Some days over the last fortnight or so have struggled around the 10-12c mark, but still fine if sheltered and in the sun.

If this weekend's synoptics were in place in July/August, I reckon the west of the UK at least would be basking in temps around 22-24c.

I don't know why there's so much gloom about both the current weather and prospects for summer.

Vive la easterly!! 

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
fairweather
25 April 2021 22:57:41

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

I don't know why there's so much gloom about both the current weather and prospects for summer.

Vive la easterly!! 

Because this is the Spring Moaning Thread ?  And we don't live in  the West ! Freezing cold wind and not always sunny although that is the saving grace. Also some of us are gardeners and six weeks in April with no rain isn't helpful !

S.Essex, 42m ASL
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
26 April 2021 04:26:53

Originally Posted by: fairweather 

Because this is the Spring Moaning Thread ?  And we don't live in  the West ! Freezing cold wind and not always sunny although that is the saving grace. Also some of us are gardeners and six weeks in April with no rain isn't helpful !

April is six weeks long in the south? Up here it lasts just four weeks and two days!

Essex is the driest place in the country and spring is the driest season so I guess long dry spells aren't unusual there at this time of year. I think April's been great. OK it hasn't been the warmest, especially overnight but the abundant sunshine and generally light winds has more than made up for that.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Bolty
26 April 2021 14:57:25
Looks like a crap week on the way after today; generally cloudy and temperatures barely getting into double figures. If there's one silver lining, hopefully the cloud might keep the night frosts away as the cooler air comes down around Thu/Fri. Really don't want any more of those as they've done enough damage now.
Scott
My weather station 
LeedsLad123
26 April 2021 18:05:06

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

I'm rather enjoying this fine spell. Lovely weekend of unbroken sunshine, temps topping out at 16/17c, gentle easterly drift.

Some days over the last fortnight or so have struggled around the 10-12c mark, but still fine if sheltered and in the sun.

If this weekend's synoptics were in place in July/August, I reckon the west of the UK at least would be basking in temps around 22-24c.

Vive la easterly!! 

Might have something to do with most people not living in the west of the UK. 

Easterlies in summer are very hit and miss here depending on the exact direction of the flow - SE is great, but anything else is bound to result in North Sea gloom. Pretty much how you would feel about easterlies in winter regarding snow chances.

Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
cultman1
26 April 2021 18:05:51

i have never known such a long and sustained cold period and bitingly freezing NE winds in London ever. Despite the sunny days the real temperature with the feel like factor is around 9-11 degrees in Fulham and after 6pm when the sun starts to diappear the temperatures drops so quickly. and this cold prtiod of weather has continued pretty well non stop since the start of April .When will this ever end? I do wonder if the remaining spring and early summer 2021 will turn out way below the average temperature wise....

KevBrads1
30 April 2021 20:29:19
April 2021 ends on a convective note

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
richardabdn
03 May 2021 12:13:39

The 8th consecutive day of wretched, cold, grey depressing GARBAGE and the 7th consecutive crap summer-half public holiday. Yes, every single holiday since September 2019 has brought the same putrid unpleasant rubbish. I excluded the winter ones but they were probably more pleasant than this. New Years Day 2020 certainly was.

Not even the slightest window where spending time outside could be considered enjoyable. I could tolerate this if it was being cancelled out by 18C sunny days but it can't even get to 14C never mind something that could be considered warm. Same 8C grey crap day-after-day with sun limited to early morning when it's about the same strength as mid-winter.

Last week I recorded my second lowest step count ever with only that horrific week of relentless rain and cloud last December putting in a worse performance. When I manage to get out on the bike it's not in the shorts I should be wearing in late spring but in the jumper trousers and gloves I wear in winter 

Getting the sunniest April for 115 years should be cause for celebration but all this one has resulted, due to air or ground frost nearly every night, is the bleakest, barest, most colourless and depressing landscape I've ever seen in May 

The forecast is indescribably awful and looks worse than anything even the ultimate horrors of 1968 and 1983 produced and there hasn't ever been any May's worse than those two catastrophes.

I'm supposed to be going to the Highlands at the end of next week on a holiday that had to be rescheduled from last August because of a totally unwarranted and unjustified lockdown imposed on us.

Some holiday that will be unless there is significant improvement in the weather. There is nothing enjoyable whatsoever about day after day of single figure temperatures against a backdrop of iron grey skies and drizzle 

The fact that I missed out on 25C last August and instead had to suffer the worst period of easterly gloom I have ever endured at that time of year will further enrage me if I am subjected to more of this horror filth that has no place outside of November and winter 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
03 May 2021 12:48:11

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

The 8th consecutive day of wretched, cold, grey depressing GARBAGE

What are you complaining about, t's not even raining in Aberdeen, unlike in most of the rest of the country!

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Bolty
03 May 2021 15:24:40
A nasty day, but I suppose the rain is needed now, to be fair. It's just a shame it had to be on a BH Monday.
Scott
My weather station 
Chunky Pea
03 May 2021 15:31:37

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

There is nothing enjoyable whatsoever about day after day of single figure temperatures against a backdrop of iron grey skies and drizzle 

Perfectly described! and reflective of the God-awful climate region of the world we live in.  

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022